Car Supplies for Winter/Emergencies

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
Rik Bitter
Gold Jester

Car Supplies for Winter/Emergencies

Postby Rik Bitter » Mon Nov 18, 2019

OK. This topic probably won't be of much interest to those who live south of 35 degrees latitude but I think that still leaves a pretty big audience here on BS...

I keep some emergency supplies in my vehicles but they're not organized in any real way. I want to change that so I'm putting together a bag (probably more like a plastic tote) of stuff to store in the truck to deal with winter weather and any emergencies that might pop up while on the road. It might make sense to do two smaller bags/bins. One with year round stuff and the other with winter specific stuff.

Does anyone already do this? What kind of stuff do you keep in your car for winter/emergencies? Got any good stories about getting bailed out by your kit?

Here's my early list from doing a little brain storming and a few interwebz searches. Comment/suggestions wanted.

YEAR ROUND STUFF
-----------------------
Flashlight
Multi-tool/Knife
$20 bucks in cash
Phone Charger (cig lighter)/ battery backup
Tool Kit
Jumper Cables
First Aid Kit
Baby wipes
Skein of Paracord
Duct Tape (prolly should be #1 on the list)
Poncho/Rain Gear
Mini Air Compressor / Can of Fix-a-Flat
Empty 1 gal. Gas can (a new one is best, that way it can be used to fetch water or gas)
Road flares
Deck of playing cards (I always keep a deck in the glove box for emergency boredom abatement)

WINTER STUFF
-----------------
Ice scraper/snow brush
Knit hat/Toque
Warm Gloves/Mittens
Winter Socks
Blanket/Sleeping Bag
Hand warmers (Hot Hands air activated single use type)
Folding shovel
Safety Absorbent/kitty litter
Tow strap
I'm down to the last few pieces to complete my YPS collection:
3oz. Peace Sign, V2 100g Classic
Also any pieces with serial #17 & 18s. Please contact me if you have any of these for sale.

ImageImage

Mother lode

Re: Car Supplies for Winter/Emergencies

Postby Mother lode » Mon Nov 18, 2019

Rik Bitter wrote:OK. This topic probably won't be of much interest to those who live south of 35 degrees latitude but I think that still leaves a pretty big audience here on BS...

I keep some emergency supplies in my vehicles but they're not organized in any real way. I want to change that so I'm putting together a bag (probably more like a plastic tote) of stuff to store in the truck to deal with winter weather and any emergencies that might pop up while on the road. It might make sense to do two smaller bags/bins. One with year round stuff and the other with winter specific stuff.

Does anyone already do this? What kind of stuff do you keep in your car for winter/emergencies? Got any good stories about getting bailed out by your kit?

Here's my early list from doing a little brain storming and a few interwebz searches. Comment/suggestions wanted.

YEAR ROUND STUFF
-----------------------
Flashlight
Multi-tool/Knife
$20 bucks in cash
Phone Charger (cig lighter)/ battery backup
Tool Kit
Jumper Cables
First Aid Kit
Baby wipes
Skein of Paracord
Duct Tape (prolly should be #1 on the list)
Poncho/Rain Gear
Mini Air Compressor / Can of Fix-a-Flat
Empty 1 gal. Gas can (a new one is best, that way it can be used to fetch water or gas)
Road flares
Deck of playing cards (I always keep a deck in the glove box for emergency boredom aversion)

WINTER STUFF
-----------------
Ice scraper/snow brush
Knit hat/Toque
Warm Gloves/Mittens
Winter Socks
Blanket/Sleeping Bag
Hand warmers (Hot Hands air activated single use type)
Folding shovel
Safety Absorbent/kitty litter
Tow strap

(Warm waterproof boots). Especially if you don’t wear boots driving to work. :D
ImageImageImage

toddler81

Postby toddler81 » Mon Nov 18, 2019

A few roofing shingles and at least (2) 2x4x12 or 2x4x16 boards, depending how wide your tires are.
$25 off Brooklinen Sheets
$10 free at Coinbase!

:wanted:
LIBERTADS
GOLD
1/20
: BU 2011; PR 2005,06,13
1/10
: BU 1994,2000

:wanted: 2007 08 Roos on card

silverhead
Silver Supporter

Postby silverhead » Mon Nov 18, 2019

90 degrees today, but i need load up on the year round stuff
ImageImageImage

Mother lode

toddler81 wrote:A few roofing shingles and at least (2) 2x4x12 or 2x4x16 boards, depending how wide your tires are.

Holy shimikies.What are you driving. :shock: I couldn’t get a 8 foot 2x4 in the little wagon. Lol :D
ImageImageImage

toddler81

Postby toddler81 » Mon Nov 18, 2019

Mother lode wrote:
toddler81 wrote:A few roofing shingles and at least (2) 2x4x12 or 2x4x16 boards, depending how wide your tires are.

Holy shimikies.What are you driving. :shock: I couldn’t get a 8 foot 2x4 in the little wagon. Lol :D

:lol: I was thinking in inches when I wrote that! Sorry!
$25 off Brooklinen Sheets
$10 free at Coinbase!

:wanted:
LIBERTADS
GOLD
1/20
: BU 2011; PR 2005,06,13
1/10
: BU 1994,2000

:wanted: 2007 08 Roos on card

MaryB

Postby MaryB » Mon Nov 18, 2019

MRE's or Mountain House meals, water(pour part out and recap, it can freeze and not burst. Store these in a 1 gallon ziplock in case of a leak), candles(light and heat)... something to burn the candle in, the flower pot heater is a good idea for in a small space like a car. Insulated coveralls in case you need to get out of the car to remove snow, this way if they get wet(and they will) you can take them off and hang them to dry and be wearing dry clothing, keeping dry is very very important to stave off hypothermia.

When I was driving my camper van I had a 50 pound propane cylinder on the back door, a furnace, small 2 burner stove, food supplies, a bed and sleeping bags... I got stuck behind a jackknifed semi, and an accident behind me in a bad drift kept me from turning around and going back. There were 4 cars plus the trucker stuck with me. I was sitting nice and warm reading a book when I heard knocking. Trucker wanted in, his engine quit(fuel jelled) so he came in then the people in the cars trickled in. Had 10 people crammed in that van so we stayed warm. I had enough water and soup, rope to setup a safety line for anyone who needed to go out to go to the bathroom(it was whiteout 3 hours after everyone piled in, get 5 feet from the van and you might not find it again) toilet paper...

We spent 36 hours stuck before the store let up enough to start clearing wrecks and drifts. After that winter the local National Guard units got tracked personnel carriers to do winter road rescues. I had a ham radio in the van and the locals knew where we were stranded but conditions were so bad they couldn't get out to rescue anyone!

Mother lode

MaryB wrote:MRE's or Mountain House meals, water(pour part out and recap, it can freeze and not burst. Store these in a 1 gallon ziplock in case of a leak), candles(light and heat)... something to burn the candle in, the flower pot heater is a good idea for in a small space like a car. Insulated coveralls in case you need to get out of the car to remove snow, this way if they get wet(and they will) you can take them off and hang them to dry and be wearing dry clothing, keeping dry is very very important to stave off hypothermia.

When I was driving my camper van I had a 50 pound propane cylinder on the back door, a furnace, small 2 burner stove, food supplies, a bed and sleeping bags... I got stuck behind a jackknifed semi, and an accident behind me in a bad drift kept me from turning around and going back. There were 4 cars plus the trucker stuck with me. I was sitting nice and warm reading a book when I heard knocking. Trucker wanted in, his engine quit(fuel jelled) so he came in then the people in the cars trickled in. Had 10 people crammed in that van so we stayed warm. I had enough water and soup, rope to setup a safety line for anyone who needed to go out to go to the bathroom(it was whiteout 3 hours after everyone piled in, get 5 feet from the van and you might not find it again) toilet paper...

We spent 36 hours stuck before the store let up enough to start clearing wrecks and drifts. After that winter the local National Guard units got tracked personnel carriers to do winter road rescues. I had a ham radio in the van and the locals knew where we were stranded but conditions were so bad they couldn't get out to rescue anyone!

Yep. I am definitely traveling with MaryB. You’re awesome. :thumbup:
ImageImageImage

AU137

Postby AU137 » Mon Nov 18, 2019

Real shovel if you have room vs folding/mini shovel.
Real jack if you have room vs scissor jack.
Breaker bar with socket vs crap tire iron
Large 48" zip ties to secure loose body parts after minor incidents.
Extra fuses
Tire repair (plug) kit( I would pick this over can of fix o flat or carry both)

shinnosuke
Liberty Supporter

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Nov 18, 2019

Mother lode wrote:
MaryB wrote:We spent 36 hours stuck before the store let up enough to start clearing wrecks and drifts. After that winter the local National Guard units got tracked personnel carriers to do winter road rescues. I had a ham radio in the van and the locals knew where we were stranded but conditions were so bad they couldn't get out to rescue anyone!

Yep. I am definitely traveling with MaryB. You’re awesome. :thumbup:

More like the Unites Sates Maryne Corps.!!! Mary would you please adopt me?
Looking for Goldbacks? viewtopic.php?f=98&t=32677

pitw
Gold Supporter

Postby pitw » Mon Nov 18, 2019

Best thing I've found to pack is a good dose of common sense and a shovel.

Mother lode

Just checked fluids.
Carry extra anti- freeze and definitely good windshield wiper fluid. Hate running out of that and having salt spray build up on windshield. :thumbup:
ImageImageImage

Storm Drifter
Turtle Supporter

Postby Storm Drifter » Tue Nov 19, 2019

Tire chains, scotch, smokes

Rik Bitter
Gold Jester

Postby Rik Bitter » Tue Nov 19, 2019

Storm Drifter wrote:Tire chains, scotch, smokes

You sound like someone who has dealt with some snow in their day.
I'm down to the last few pieces to complete my YPS collection:
3oz. Peace Sign, V2 100g Classic
Also any pieces with serial #17 & 18s. Please contact me if you have any of these for sale.

ImageImage

Rodebaugh
Jester

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Nov 19, 2019

I'm a jeeper. We live for this sort of thing.

The first thing is try to understand what could go wrong then prepare for that. Otherwise you are just filling your rig full of crap you may never need while overlooking the obvious.

So a better question to start with is what could go wrong?
-get stuck up in? mud, water, snow,
-rollover?
-dead battery
-broken parts....which ones are most likely?
-out of gas?
-Where will these things likely go wrong at? Is your commute a rural one?

feel free to add on.

I have been party to some pretty awesome trail repairs. Rolling a vehicle back onto its feet from its side, Countless drive linkage repair, Changing a tire off a rim onto another rim (beadlock too), No rescue is cooler than self rescue.

As for stuff?
A mounted winch for you cool cat truck and jeep folk. As for you smart car/rice burners my advice is to know your hitch points ( they are there just look) and get a set of 2-3ton comealongs with a couple nylon straps. That will pay for itself the first time you use it. Well the second time at least. The first time should be at your house as a practice run to familiarize yourself with the equipment. You wouldn't buy a basketball and play in a game with it for the first time out would you? same thing here.

agnostic
BS Supporter

Postby agnostic » Tue Nov 19, 2019

Duct tape.... best overall MacGyver repair kit
Wood ashes.... works better than sand if you’re stuck in the snow
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. ... Honest Abe

shinnosuke
Liberty Supporter

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Nov 19, 2019

And watch a couple dozen The Red Green Show out of Canada to learn how to be real handy around the house, especially if the women don't consider you to be handsome.
Looking for Goldbacks? viewtopic.php?f=98&t=32677

agnostic
BS Supporter

Postby agnostic » Tue Nov 19, 2019

Dang it! You’re exposing my source :lol:
7A999438-B552-4B2D-9B60-8C9A5A70055D.jpeg
7A999438-B552-4B2D-9B60-8C9A5A70055D.jpeg (218.41 KiB) Viewed 137 times
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. ... Honest Abe

Storm Drifter
Turtle Supporter

Postby Storm Drifter » Tue Nov 19, 2019

Rik Bitter wrote:
Storm Drifter wrote:Tire chains, scotch, smokes

You sound like someone who has dealt with some snow in their day.

Yep, i lived in the former Yugoslavia during the war. No snow removal equipment was being used, made travel a little difficult at times.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Tue Nov 19, 2019

3-4 Sandbags for the rear of the truck bed is a great help for braking.
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.

Return to “Burgers and Beers”