Anyone see a lack of buyers lately

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
jareksdad

Anyone see a lack of buyers lately

Postby jareksdad » Mon Nov 11, 2019

I always will cull off some of my coins that I want to get rid of for one reason or another. Whether it be too much wear, too many of something I don't care for, etc
Lately I have NO ONE texting or emailing back about items I have up on CL.
Anyone else. Not just the last few days with the drop but nothing off there for a solid month or so. Always put similar type items up there too.
Was thinking of FB marketplace with the wife's acct(I don't have one) but then there's alot of personal stuff connected with it as well.
D

toddler81

Re: Anyone see a lack of buyers lately

Postby toddler81 » Mon Nov 11, 2019

I would not do FB with all that personal info on there!
$25 off Brooklinen Sheets
$10 free at Coinbase!

:wanted:
LIBERTADS
GOLD
1/20
: BU 2011; PR 2005,06,13
1/10
: BU 1994,2000

:wanted: 2007 08 Roos on card

Mother lode

Postby Mother lode » Mon Nov 11, 2019

The local Craigslist for our area is completely useless. :thumbdown:
It was once a decent site for local transactions. Even met some great people buying and selling metals. Now. Everyone wants to offer $2.00 below spot for Johnson- Matthey bars and “can you drive 40 miles to meet?” :shock:. Then change there minds at the last minute or never show up. :evil:
I will stick with the real buyers and sellers here on Bullion Stackers.
This is the best site going by far. :thumbup:
ImageImageImage

rktect

Postby rktect » Mon Nov 11, 2019

Mother lode wrote:The local Craigslist for our area is completely useless. :thumbdown:
It was once a decent site for local transactions. Even met some great people buying and selling metals. Now. Everyone wants to offer $2.00 below spot for Johnson- Matthey bars and “can you drive 40 miles to meet?” :shock:. Then change there minds at the last minute or never show up. :evil:
I will stick with the real buyers and sellers here on Bullion Stackers.
This is the best site going by far. :thumbup:

Crazy. Were you looking to be found dead in the trunk of an abandoned car?
"Less is more." Ludwig Meis van der Rohe
to which Wright replied
"Less is more where more is no good." Frank Lloyd Wright

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

Postby bigjohn » Mon Nov 11, 2019

I haven’t done much CL this year, quite a bit in the past though. Did a lot of buying and selling without any issues following these rules:

Always come first
Always meet in a very public place
Select a place a few miles away, in a different zip code
Always leave last
Bring tools of the trade
Never give out name, phone number, or email (I had a separate email set up just for CL, where I used only initials)
Be aware of your surroundings
A few extra glances in rear view mirror sure don’t take much effort

A little paranoid? Perhaps
OPEN A COINBASE ACCOUNT AND BOTH OF US WILL GET $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec

ImageImage Image

H2SO4
Gold Jeeper

Postby H2SO4 » Mon Nov 11, 2019

bigjohn wrote:I haven’t done much CL this year, quite a bit in the past though. Did a lot of buying and selling without any issues following these rules:

Always come first
Always leave last
Bring tools of the trade
Never give out name, phone number, or email (I had a separate email set up just for CL, where I used only initials)

I agree- my CL email is a different name, too.
Never go straight home.
Safety Equipment.

I once found myself on the buying end of an item off of a site just like craigslist. Meet the guys in a brewery parking lot. Total methed out type situation. I bailed as soon as possible without any type of slight or insult. Especially when "the owner" of the item showed up 10 min late on his motorcycle. Said he had these guys taking care of it because it was to much to carry around (it was really quite small).
nope'd out of there quick.
Always looking for BS Bars- any serial numbers. Buy/Trade

silverhead
Silver Supporter

Postby silverhead » Mon Nov 11, 2019

H2SO4 wrote:
bigjohn wrote:I haven’t done much CL this year, quite a bit in the past though. Did a lot of buying and selling without any issues following these rules:

Always come first
Always leave last
Bring tools of the trade

I agree- my CL email is a different name, too.
Never go straight home.
Safety Equipment.

I once found myself on the buying end of an item off of a site just like craigslist. Meet the guys in a brewery parking lot. Total methed out type situation. I bailed as soon as possible without any type of slight or insult. Especially when "the owner" of the item showed up 10 min late on his motorcycle. Said he had these guys taking care of it because it was to much to carry around (it was really quite small).
nope'd out of there quick.

Was it mission accomplished or empty handed?
ImageImageImage

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Mon Nov 11, 2019

Not related but my Ebay sales have gone to almost nothing after the new tax rules were implemented. Some buyers are asking for better deals bc of the state sales taxes.
Even with 10% ebucks,, nada

Just wait until a VAT is added in the future
ImageImageImage

agnostic
BS Supporter

Postby agnostic » Mon Nov 11, 2019

I’m waaaay too chicken to use Craigslist.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. ... Honest Abe

Rik Bitter
Gold Jester

Postby Rik Bitter » Mon Nov 11, 2019

Always come first
Always leave last
Bring tools of the trade

I buy/sell on CL all the time.

I use a little .357 insurance in addition to the things you mentioned. That said, I've never had any issues outside of a few people flaking out on me and not showing.
I'm down to the last few pieces to complete my YPS collection:
3oz. Peace Sign, V2 100g Classic
Also any pieces with serial #17 & 18s. Please contact me if you have any of these for sale.

ImageImage

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Mon Nov 11, 2019

Purple and Gold wrote:Not related but my Ebay sales have gone to almost nothing after the new tax rules were implemented. Some buyers are asking for better deals bc of the state sales taxes.

+1

Because of this plus the tax increasing the buying costs of the stuff I sell, I'm calling it quits at the end of the year.

Look for a post next month with a bunch of leftover shipping supplies. :thumbdown:

texmex66
Turtle Supporter

Postby texmex66 » Mon Nov 11, 2019

Purple and Gold wrote:Not related but my Ebay sales have gone to almost nothing after the new tax rules were implemented. Some buyers are asking for better deals bc of the state sales taxes.

Just wait until a VAT is added in the future

Has anyone tried OFFERUP? Bought a few things on there locally. Now they allow shipping from other states, dont know the particulars but i think funds are held by a 3rd party until package is received and buyer acknowledges receipt. Need to look into further.

Sellers are rated and verified in a few different ways to ensure they are legit as good as can be. Please do your own due diligence.

CL has worked very well for me here. Been using it since 06 07 to date. Built a reputation and client base from it.

I always talk to the other party wether buying or selling to gauge their motives and intentions. The flakes are pretty obvious. On some ads i only put a phone # which is a free google # linked to my cell #. They dont see my real cell #. Flakes usually wont call you.

I pretty much know the flakes in this area by now and dont waste my time or i play with them a bit and they go running to their safe space. :D

jareksdad

Postby jareksdad » Mon Nov 11, 2019

I see this turned a little sideways lol.
I also have a few regulars from CL but nothing new lately.
I also bring a little helper with me. Mr 45 and no, not our president lol. I usually meet at a DD or McDonalds and I don't buy gold off ppl I don't know.
When selling I don't let people come to my house or usually even my town. Too small anyways. Won't usually leave the house unless they are spending at least 500 or am heading that way anyways.
Have a bunch of oddball stuff I want to get rid of too and may go back to yuck, eBay soon if need be.....
D

Chaboo
Turtle Supporter

Postby Chaboo » Mon Nov 11, 2019

texmex66 wrote:
Has anyone tried OFFERUP? Bought a few things on there locally. Now they allow shipping from other states, dont know the particulars but i think funds are held by a 3rd party until package is received and buyer acknowledges receipt. Need to look into further.

Sellers are rated and verified in a few different ways to ensure they are legit as good as can be. Please do your own due diligence.

CL has worked very well for me here. Been using it since 06 07 to date. Built a reputation and client base from it.

I always talk to the other party wether buying or selling to gauge their motives and intentions. The flakes are pretty obvious. On some ads i only put a phone # which is a free google # linked to my cell #. They dont see my real cell #. Flakes usually wont call you.

I pretty much know the flakes in this area by now and dont waste my time or i play with them a bit and they go running to their safe space. :D

Won't do FB due to not trusting I can keep my privacy on there and I don't want to create a separate account for my PM fetish. :shh:

Things have been dry for me on CL too. 1 or 2 sales a month with very few emails.

Used CL in 2 different states and met a lot of good people... plus all the flakes but never had any trouble.

Started using OfferUp recently. Some flakes there too but I like the feedback system. Sold some silver jewelry for a few buck but no coins/bars. The metals people have been lowballers; a buddy said the same thing. I'm still posting to see how it goes. -so sort of the same thing I guess, nothing to speak of for sales.

Coin shows aren't hopping. I do one a month. Dumped some stuff yesterday for a loss; tired of carrying it around. 1 person made 2/3 of the day's sales in dollars. Made probably $30 off of him (due to the dump in spot) but he was happy and will be back. Very light traffic. A couple trades are what made the day - dumped some more stuff.

Tried posting a bunch of stuff in the bay in August and only sold a couple things. No offers even on the other stuff.
New to crypto, join coinbase and we both get $10 (after you spend $100) https://www.coinbase.com/join/58d979166908ae017761881d

Get cash back from Mr Rebates for shopping online.
http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=626685

dbm300
Platinum Supporter

Postby dbm300 » Mon Nov 11, 2019

Shoot I can't get you cheap ba$tards to buy my stuff. All I know is, you all want it below spot, and you still want to haggle for less.

:lol:
... and Bob's your uncle.

silverhead
Silver Supporter

Postby silverhead » Mon Nov 11, 2019

dbm300 wrote:Shoot I can't get you cheap ba$tards to buy my stuff. All I know is, you all want it below spot, and you still want to haggle for less.

I feel ya :lol:
I sold something ( under 10 ozs of generics) a few weeks ago to my lcs for $1 under spot instead of listing here and waiting a few weeks and having to pack and go to post office
ImageImageImage

Mechanic4hire3
Platinum Supporter

Postby Mechanic4hire3 » Mon Nov 11, 2019

dbm300 wrote:Shoot I can't get you cheap ba$tards to buy my stuff. All I know is, you all want it below spot, and you still want to haggle for less.

Man I forgot what we were calling those guys last year.
EBay rcook21973
Local: Redwheel_ Numismatics

agnostic
BS Supporter

Postby agnostic » Mon Nov 11, 2019

Mechanic4hire3 wrote:

I think he was referring to you :shh:
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. ... Honest Abe

Mechanic4hire3
Platinum Supporter

Postby Mechanic4hire3 » Mon Nov 11, 2019

agnostic wrote:
Mechanic4hire3 wrote:

I think he was referring to you :shh:

Lol, it was Coin Weasels I think. Not me Man. Many folks on here got me beat. Hope you are well. We doing our own holiday exchange this year?
EBay rcook21973
Local: Redwheel_ Numismatics

spideynut

Postby spideynut » Tue Nov 12, 2019

Good thing you made it clear you want to use your wife's FB. We might of held it against you for having your own :D

For over 10 yrs I would spend $100-200 a month on mega deals via online retailers. After they all moved to the state tax law (around May for my state) I have not bought 1 item. Just here and reddit for me now. I do have more cash on hand tho. haha
WTB Certified Silver eagle rolls NGC or PCGS.

Return to “Burgers and Beers”