Does anyone here mine?

Discussion of all things crypto and blockchain.
SilverBandit22

Does anyone here mine?

Postby SilverBandit22 » Wed Jan 09, 2019

Hey Y'all,

This site seems like it has a fairly active crypto group, so I was curious if anyone here mines any type of cryptocurrency. I've thought about getting into it a few times, but now that most currencies are pretty low, the mining equipment is also fairly cheap and I currently have access to "free" electricity, so that would defiantly help the profitability. So if you do mine, please let me know what current and, what type of equipment you use and, any tips or suggestions you have for me. Thanks, Y'all!

shinnosuke
Liberty Supporter

Re: Does anyone here mine?

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Jan 09, 2019

Hey,
I was mining ETH, but when the price dropped it was no longer economically feasible to do so. In other words, the cost of the electricity to run the rig was higher than the value of ETH mined. The equipment had six cards. Everything on it was purchased separately and built by a friend. He ran the rig in his basement in Colorado so last winter we were saving him a bit on heating costs by the warmth coming off the equipment.

If you can get really cheap equipment and free electricity, then you might have a chance at a worthwhile enterprise.

My equipment:
1. ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 Mini 8GB GDDR5 VR Ready Super Compact Gaming Graphics Card (ZT-P10700G-10M)
2. MintCell 6-Pack PCIe VER 006 PCI-E 16x to 1x Powered Riser Adapter Card w/ 60cm USB 3.0 Extension Cable & MOLEX to SATA Power Cable - GPU Riser Adapter - Ethereum Mining ETH + 2 MintCell Cable Ties
3. Crucial 4GB Single DDR4 2133 MT/s (PC4-17000) CL15 SR x8 Unbuffered DIMM 288-Pin Desktop Memory CT4G4DFS8213
4. DREVO X1 Series 60GB SSD 2.5-inch Solid State Drive MLC SATA3 Read 500MB/S Write 90MB/S
5. 6 GPU Open Air Case for Crypto Currency Mining Rig Frame
6. Microsoft Windows 10 Home USB Flash Drive
And some other stuff like a monitor and a keyboard...

blackkramer

Postby blackkramer » Sun Jan 13, 2019

I have something like 30 cards mining right now. I have free electricity until the end of April, so I keep them going. No idea what it would cost to run this otherwise.

2x GTX1080ti
7x GTX1050ti
14 x RX580 8gb
1x GTX1060 6gb
6x GTX1070

I also had a GTX1080 but it bit the dust. I bought it used and it has been a POS. It needed a fan replacement right away, and now it crashes my system after running for about 2 hours so I have it disconnected.

I run linux on 2 system, one with 4 cards, one with 7 cars. SMOS on a rig with 13 cards. Windows 10 on a rig with 3 cards (used to be 4 but my 1080 is crap), and 3 cards on my main PC running windows 10.

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Sun Jan 13, 2019

"free electricity" sounds like solar power, but only until April? Do you know something about the Sun that no one else knows? :shock: Or maybe hydraulic power of some sort, but again, does the water stop running after April?

Or do you mean free to you that someone else is paying for?

Return to “Bitcoin/Crypto/Blockchain”