Things I read on my re-manufactured iPhone

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
SilverStatic
Turtle Supporter

Things I read on my re-manufactured iPhone

Postby SilverStatic » Mon Aug 06, 2018

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dantedispa ... 3adb58631d

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/apple ... 2018-08-04

https://techcrunch.com/2018/08/04/the-g ... -trillion/

I read this while using my re-manufactured iPhone I was forced to take when the brand new phone I bought suffered a defect caused by cheap parts. I was told that Apple has so many re-manufactured phones to overnight to people because so many broke and were fixed and on the ready. They told me it wouldn't make sense for me to upgrade to a brand new phone at this point in my contract. :roll:
:wanted:
Rodebaugh 100g bars 2012,2013,2014
Rare and interesting silver trades available, inquire please

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Re: Things I read on my re-manufactured iPhone

Postby tdtwedt » Mon Aug 06, 2018

There are more ways than one to skin a cat.

GtiKyle

Postby GtiKyle » Mon Aug 06, 2018

No product is perfect, but you have to hand it to Apples extremely talented marketing. Even with known issues, and speculative planned obsolescence(my theory), people are still flocking to buy anything they put out. Are there better options out there? I think so. But people keep going back to Apple.

SilverStatic
Turtle Supporter

I wouldn’t own anything else.

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

Postby bigjohn » Mon Aug 06, 2018

SilverStatic wrote:I wouldn’t own anything else.

Once you’ve been on the platform for so many years, you are tangled in the web of other services, from various apps to iCloud. It’s tough to find your way out of the rabbit hole at that point. Apple is kinda like eBay for regular users, you hate some things they do but can’t seem to be able to get out. Their customer service is absolutely the best though
OPEN A COINBASE ACCOUNT AND BOTH OF US WILL GET $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec

ImageImage Image

tigerwoodz

Postby tigerwoodz » Mon Aug 06, 2018

I keep coming back to my iPhone every time I try Android briefly, but I just cannot bring myself to spend $1000 to have the iPhone X. I already couldn't believe spending $600 on the iPhone 7 that I still use.

SilverStatic
Turtle Supporter

tigerwoodz wrote:I already couldn't believe spending $600 on the iPhone 7 that I still use.

24 easy payments of $25!

tigerwoodz

SilverStatic wrote:
tigerwoodz wrote:I already couldn't believe spending $600 on the iPhone 7 that I still use.

24 easy payments of $25!

Yeah they love getting people on the payment plan. When I bought my 7, the guy at AT&T actually said he didn't know how to handle it in the computer to just pay for the phone outright, and that everyone else is on a payment plan. Installments don't seem too bad since there is no interest, but I just hate the idea of extra money going out of the door every month on my budget.

GtiKyle

tigerwoodz wrote:
SilverStatic wrote:

24 easy payments of $25!

Yeah they love getting people on the payment plan. When I bought my 7, the guy at AT&T actually said he didn't know how to handle it in the computer to just pay for the phone outright, and that everyone else is on a payment plan. Installments don't seem too bad since there is no interest, but I just hate the idea of extra money going out of the door every month on my budget.

This is that dangerous game they play to lure people into debt. I bet most people on a phone payment plan don't actually consider they have a "loan" because there isn't interest paid. Either way, you don't own the phone. And on top of that, these devices are extremely expensive for most people, and in the event they lose or break them, insurance seems mandatory.

It's tough in 2018 to NOT own a mobile phone, but i prefer the cheaper android devices. They work amazing, have great flexibility and are durable. I've been using an LG G6, and i love it.

tigerwoodz

GtiKyle wrote:in the event they lose or break them, insurance seems mandatory.

I hadn't even considered that. Totally makes sense why they push those plans so hard on people.

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

Postby bigjohn » Mon Aug 06, 2018

Never had insurance. Never had a circumstance where I would be able to use phone insurance. My iPhone 7 will be 3 years old next month, still kicking. I have tried to switch to a windows phone. REALLY REALLY TRIED.........as in giving it a whole year to get used to it. No dice
OPEN A COINBASE ACCOUNT AND BOTH OF US WILL GET $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec

ImageImage Image

GtiKyle

tigerwoodz wrote:
GtiKyle wrote:in the event they lose or break them, insurance seems mandatory.

I hadn't even considered that. Totally makes sense why they push those plans so hard on people.

$1000 device in your pocket goes through so much abuse. Drops, moisture, sitting on it. Etc. Some people are harder on phones than others.

I've seen some pretty battered phones. Amazes me how people don't really consider how delicate these expensive devices are. I take good care of my phones. A lot of people don't, then get mad when they break. :roll:

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Postby natsb88 » Mon Aug 06, 2018

GtiKyle wrote:speculative planned obsolescence(my theory)

Not speculative. Apple calls underclocking the processors in older phones through iOS updates a "feature" to proactively manage the power capabilities of aging batteries :roll: . They finally got caught and that was their spin.

bigjohn wrote:I have tried to switch to a windows phone. REALLY REALLY TRIED.........as in giving it a whole year to get used to it. No dice

I bought a Lumia 4+ years ago for $200 that was already a 2-year-old model then. It has been a great phone. It's finally getting tired. Now I am updating to a Lumia model that is only 3 years old that I snagged for $100 :lol:

I greatly prefer the Windows platform over iOS and Android. iOS drives me crazy. Android Remix OS is decent on a tablet but I've grown to dislike Android on phones. After years of using live tiles, organizing and navigating iOS and Android both feel totally chaotic.

I have also found the Nokia hardware to be more durable and robust than Apple and Samsung. And I went through several HTC phones in short order before I got this Lumia I've now had for 4 years. The real problem is Microsoft's abandonment of the platform and developers' subsequent abandonment of app support. Not much runs on the Windows Phone 8.1 platform any more. Windows 10 Mobile is a little better but dying.

I'm still hoping for a Surface Phone :geek:

BarsandStars
Turtle Supporter

Postby BarsandStars » Mon Aug 06, 2018

tigerwoodz wrote:I keep coming back to my iPhone every time I try Android briefly, but I just cannot bring myself to spend $1000 to have the iPhone X. I already couldn't believe spending $600 on the iPhone 7 that I still use.

Same here. Just switched back to iPhone from a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge. It had a pink line down the screen and the camera glass randomly exploded on my nightstand (while unplugged) one night while I was sleeping. My wife on the other hand, ran hers over with a ford expedition, dropped it in water god knows how many times and never had a problem with hers. She has a google note II now and seems to like it. Glad i'm not the only one who got the confused look when trying to pay for the phones up front.

Oh yeah, typing this from my iMac :shh:
Joining Binance to trade cryptos? Click my referral link below!
www.binance.com/?ref=20981136

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Wed Aug 08, 2018

Apple Vows iPhones Do Not Listen In On Users... But Its Apps Are Another Story

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-08- ... ther-story

:thumbdown:
There are more ways than one to skin a cat.

tigerwoodz

Postby tigerwoodz » Wed Aug 08, 2018

tdtwedt wrote:Apple Vows iPhones Do Not Listen In On Users... But Its Apps Are Another Story

It is a bit scary to think about how these devices are all "listening" for specific commands. There is no way that data is not being recording, or at least data-mined on the fly.

GtiKyle

Postby GtiKyle » Wed Aug 08, 2018

tigerwoodz wrote:
tdtwedt wrote:Apple Vows iPhones Do Not Listen In On Users... But Its Apps Are Another Story

It is a bit scary to think about how these devices are all "listening" for specific commands. There is no way that data is not being recording, or at least data-mined on the fly.

Not just that, but people WILLINGLY purchase these big brother products to put in their homes. Why anyone needs an alexa or the like is beyond me. Can't be bothered to get up and flick your own light switch? We're moving to territories of unseen laziness.

tigerwoodz

Postby tigerwoodz » Wed Aug 08, 2018

GtiKyle wrote:Not just that, but people WILLINGLY purchase these big brother products to put in their homes. Why anyone needs an alexa or the like is beyond me. Can't be bothered to get up and flick your own light switch? We're moving to territories of unseen laziness.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/03/07/tech/ama ... index.html

SilverStatic
Turtle Supporter

Postby SilverStatic » Wed Aug 08, 2018

GtiKyle

Postby GtiKyle » Wed Aug 08, 2018

And of course, don't think it's just these advertised listening devices that are the end. They're all doing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0SOxb_Lfps

Return to “Burgers and Beers”