First Trip to Mexico. Any Advice?

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

Postby bigjohn » Thu Jul 12, 2018

Later this year, I am planning a family vacation in Mexico. Believe it or not, we have never been and I really don’t know what to expect. In doing a lot of research, so far I decided that Cancun is where we want to go. I also decided against all-inclusive because my wife doesn’t drink, I drink very little, and we want to be able to eat in different places as we are exploring. We are planning on going in November or December, there is a nonstop flight. Any pointers on what to do and where to go? Best practices? General advice or other things I need to know?
OPEN A COINBASE ACCOUNT AND BOTH OF US WILL GET $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec

ImageImage Image

toddler81

Re: First Trip to Mexico. Any Advice?

Postby toddler81 » Thu Jul 12, 2018

Learn a little Spanish before you go. Watch the kids. Visit chichen itza. If not Cancun and the party scene, you might consider the island of cozumel a few hours south.
$25 off Brooklinen Sheets
https://share.brooklinen.com/x/RdX4ZK

Get $10 free at Coinbase!
https://www.coinbase.com/join/595fcda9feff9f014857eb6e

:wanted: BU GOLD LIBERTADS
1/20: 2011
1/10: 1994,2000,03

:wanted: 1998 SILVER PROOF LIBERTAD FRACTIONALS (1/20, 1/10, 1/4)

:wanted: 2007, 2008, 2012 kangaroos on card

DRP270
Site Admin

Postby DRP270 » Thu Jul 12, 2018

It has been 30 years since I went so I just deleted all the good advice from that time. Instead I will say..

Calling Silver Addict.

He goes there regularly and probably has the best current advice.
ImageImageImage

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Thu Jul 12, 2018

Agree on the Chichen Itza area. I climbed to the top of it years ago, super cool.
The ball court there where life and death games were played is something to see also.
We thought about flying to Cuba while we were there, they promised not to stamp our passport, lol
Negotiate with the vendors if you buy any souvenirs.
ImageImageImage

bankmining

Postby bankmining » Fri Jul 13, 2018

Learn how to self-exam for the presence of your kidneys. Just kidding, don’t go too far off the beaten path. Also don’t use large bills (500 pesos and up), local merchants often don’t have a lot of change.

chris6084

Postby chris6084 » Fri Jul 13, 2018

bankmining wrote:Learn how to self-exam for the presence of your kidneys. Just kidding, don’t go too far off the beaten path. Also don’t use large bills (500 pesos and up), local merchants often don’t have a lot of change.

+1 about the beaten path

Mexico has a reputation for being dangerous. If you stay in touristy areas, you generally have nothing to worry about in terms of safety.

MasterBlaster
Silver Supporter

Postby MasterBlaster » Fri Jul 13, 2018

Pray and Pray again! Have an enjoyable vaca, do not mention "The Wall" and prolly best to leave a MAGA shirt or cap home :wave:
Image ImageImage

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Fri Jul 13, 2018

There are more ways than one to skin a cat.

Rodebaugh
Jester

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Jul 13, 2018

Take some antibiotics with you. Ever swallowed the same pill 3 times? Be prepared to.

highroller4321

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Jul 13, 2018

Purple and Gold wrote:Agree on the Chichen Itza area. I climbed to the top of it years ago, super cool.
The ball court there where life and death games were played is something to see also.
We thought about flying to Cuba while we were there, they promised not to stamp our passport, lol
Negotiate with the vendors if you buy any souvenirs.

You can't climb it anymore but Chichen Itza is worth the trip!

I assume you will be staying on the hotel strip while in Cancun. You can take the bus to downtown or to the markets for less then 10 peso's. In my experience the buses are safe, but they will pack them up until there is no standing room. If that is the case then just wait for the next one.

There is a neat market called market 28 that can be reached by bus. Lots of touristy type stuff with food and other things. Just do NOT go here at night.

If your wife likes shopping and you enjoy a boat ride you can take a boat over the the isle of mujer (Island of women....not as good as it sounds because its all shopping :lol: )

I can't remember the name of it but there is a pretty neat adventure park that is close too. You can swim in an underground cave, zipline, atv's, ect. As long as you aren't being an idiot its all pretty safe and well maintained.

As far as eating random places as you go you have to be somewhat careful about this. Just follow the rules of how to eat in a foreign country when the water is no good. IE: Don't drink the water or eat anything that was washed in water, ect.

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Fri Jul 13, 2018

highroller4321 wrote:
Purple and Gold wrote:Agree on the Chichen Itza area. I climbed to the top of it years ago, super cool.

You can't climb it anymore but Chichen Itza is worth the trip!

I didnt know they stopped allowing this :( At the top is a temple room, cant say what we did when we got up there! lol
On the bus trip there we were stopped by a military check point and armed soldiers came on board checking everything out, its another world.
Same thing in Acapulco, there were military personnel armed with automatic rifles stationed at the entrance to the hotel :shock:
ImageImageImage

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

Postby bigjohn » Fri Jul 13, 2018

Great advices, very eye opening, keep them coming! We will be staying somewhere in the Hotel Zone, probably close to the middle.

So with bad water and questionable dining options, how do you find good places to eat?

Should we pay with dollars, come with pesos in hand, or exchange there?

ImageImage Image

Operadad

Postby Operadad » Fri Jul 13, 2018

my kid went to Cancun on his honeymoon. all inclusive -- but made side trips on a couple of days booked through the resort; which he said saved him all kinds of logistical trouble... after all - on VACATION - not there to work..

he said that paying with American money was easier than you might think - as the mex like the currency .. tipping was really really appreciated.. the locals don't make much money..

BotanicusRex
Supporter

Postby BotanicusRex » Fri Jul 13, 2018

Go to Hawaii
"You have a choice between the natural stability of gold, and the honesty and intelligence of the members of government. Vote for Gold."........ George Bernard Shaw

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

Postby bigjohn » Fri Jul 13, 2018

BotanicusRex wrote:First Trip to Mexico. Any Advice?
Go to Hawaii

Over the past 20 years, Hawaii has been our go-to vacation destination, sometimes twice a year. I love Hawaii, have lots of friends there but we decided to start venturing out and exploring other parts of the world. Cancún made sense because it’s actually the same 6-hr non stop flight from the PNW as Hawaii, which kinda shocked me

ImageImage Image

Southpaw
Gold Supporter

Postby Southpaw » Fri Jul 13, 2018

Stayed at a resort last year in Cancun off property we never drank any beverages with ice or ate any salads. Room temperature Coca Cola or cervases and had a great time.

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Fri Jul 13, 2018

chris6084 wrote:
bankmining wrote:Learn how to self-exam for the presence of your kidneys. Just kidding, don’t go too far off the beaten path. Also don’t use large bills (500 pesos and up), local merchants often don’t have a lot of change.

+1 about the beaten path

Mexico has a reputation for being dangerous. If you stay in touristy areas, you generally have nothing to worry about in terms of safety.

That's what this person thought too:

Police in Mexico are investigating the murder of an American tourist hit by a stray bullet in Mexico City. Tatiana Mirutenko of San Francisco was leaving a restaurant with her husband and two friends Saturday morning when she was shot. Police say two men on a motorcycle were aiming for a bar bouncer who was at the same restaurant. The bouncer was hit, but survived.

Mirutenko, 27, was in Mexico celebrating her first wedding anniversary and had just told her family how safe she felt. The restaurant where Mirutenko was shot was located in an upscale neighborhood.

"We've traveled to Mexico all of our lives," Mirutenko's father, Wasyl, said. "Tania has probably been there at least 30 times."

According to the latest figures from the Mexican government, 2017 was the nation's deadliest year on record, with more than 25,000 murders. Earlier this year, the U.S. State Department issued a travel ban to five Mexican states, the same warning issued to war-torn countries like Syria, Afghanistan and Somalia.

Popular tourist destinations Ixtapa and Acapulco are in those "do not travel" zones. The government also warns tourists to "exercise increased caution" when visiting Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen and Mexico City.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/american-w ... -warnings/

Blue Angel
WFTW Supporter

Postby Blue Angel » Fri Jul 13, 2018

We went to Cancun in about 1991. The exchange rate was around 3000 pesos per dollar. When you exchanged dollars for pesos, you did ok. If you have pesos left over to exchange back to dollars, you don't get the going rate. They like the dollar.

Back then, we rented a van and drove to Tulum and stayed in a condo in Xel-ha. No way I would consider that now.

Why not just fly to San Antonio, Texas, and see the Spanish missions and stay in a nice hotel on the River Walk. Texas hospitality is awesome and besides, San Antonio is the capitol of North Mexico......

DRP270
Site Admin

Postby DRP270 » Fri Jul 13, 2018

Blue Angel wrote:San Antonio is the capitol of North Mexico......

:lol: :lol: :lol: Kinda true though.
ImageImageImage

silverback

Postby silverback » Fri Jul 13, 2018

I live {part time} in a beautiful suburb of Tijuana called San Diego California...It is almost the same as Mexico except everything costs more and our police are more aggressive,maybe because they think they are military and we are terrorists. Texas might be the best bet after reading the above post...Actually my Father and Mother speak good spanish and lived in Mex for 22 years...they will not travel there anymore because of perceived danger...My sister in law is a Mex citizen and she wont drive her car across the border ...same perception.I have lived in South America and speak fledgling spanish ... and I wonder ..why dont US citizens go past Mexico to a nicer ,safer country like Ecuador or CostaRica..even Colombia is a better choice.

Return to “Burgers and Beers”