Newbie questions

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
rktect

Newbie questions

Postby rktect » Thu May 03, 2018

They say that there is no such thing as a stupid question, but I think I am close on my first one here.

1. A lot of my bars are sealed in plastic. Some are not. So someone removed the bar from the sealed plastic. Does it matter? Should I remove my bars from the sealed plastic?

2. Ebay. Why do people pay so much over spot for fairly standard silver bars? Silvertowne, sunshine, etc. I go to my local coin dealer and can get these for $1 over spot, sometimes $1.5 but I see them on eBay going for $3 and $4. Nothing special about the bars.

3. Ebay again. Scottsdale and Atlantis bars. I keep looking at these and they are going for at or more than what I can pay at their actual websites. Atlantis 1 oz silver bar is selling at about $24-$27 each on eBay. Go to their site and get it for $21 each plus $3.50 shipping up to like eight bars. Clearly a better deal. Same with Scottsdale except you have to buy $500 for free shipping.
"Less is more." Ludwig Meis van der Rohe
to which Wright replied
"Less is more where more is no good." Frank Lloyd Wright

Diggin4copper
Kraken Supporter

Re: Newbie questions

Postby Diggin4copper » Thu May 03, 2018

1- either way.. some people like untouched bars, but scammers deal them so they are harder to inspect for fakes.
2- some people don’t live near a shop. Some people can’t get around well. Some people need it now. Some people have paypal to spend, and eBay bucks.
3- Ebay bucks
Plenty more reasons out there, just a couple I thought of
Outstanding!

Rik Bitter
Gold Jester

Postby Rik Bitter » Thu May 03, 2018

1) For generic bullion I don't think it matters if its in the packaging. It's just metal. Nobody is paying a premium for it with or without the wrapper.

3) ebay charges sellers a commission fee for everything sold on their site. When you see companies like Scottsdale or Atlantis selling on ebay its just a way to advertise and possibly make a sale or two. The price you see is just their regular price plus the commission they have to pay to ebay. That's why it's a bit more expensive.
*** LOOKING FOR YPS #18s. Please contact me if you have any for sale.***

ImageImage

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Thu May 03, 2018

Well, there ya go. You already knew things were gonna go downhill fast. But you stuck around and drank some of the Kool-Aid we had lying around that I forgot to warn you about. You're on the greased flagpole. Problem you've got now is those PM ions are coursing thru your veins and some have taken root in your brain. Now your eyes are opening and you are becoming aware of what's wrong out there.

I have no comments on your questions other than you are being directed down a better path. You see these now but over time you will have acquired so much, that is more better, for way less than what you are finding now, you will just laugh when you see them in the future and dismiss them. Barring the e-bucks thingy of course. A good deal is always a good deal.

Yep, won't be long and your convictions will either change or become that much stronger depending on what they are now. Start to talk, walk, and look just like the rest of us. The process is irreversible. Good luck.

Pour you another glass? Cheers!
"You pompously call your selves Republicans and Democrats. There is no Republican Party. There is no Democratic Party. There are no Republicans or Democrats in this house. You are Lick-Spittlers and panderers, the creatures of the plutocracy".
- Jack London

"It is a government of corporations, by corporations, and for corporations."
- Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th President

iron-pyrite
Zombie Apocalypse Supporter

Postby iron-pyrite » Thu May 03, 2018

I'm sorry. Could you please repeat the question?
ImageImageImage

rktect

Brick's wrote:Well, there ya go. You already knew things were gonna go downhill fast. But you stuck around and drank some of the Kool-Aid we had lying around that I forgot to warn you about. You're on the greased flagpole. Problem you've got now is those PM ions are coursing thru your veins and some have taken root in your brain. Now your eyes are opening and you are becoming aware of what's wrong out there.

I have no comments on your questions other than you are being directed down a better path. You see these now but over time you will have acquired so much, that is more better, for way less than what you are finding now, you will just laugh when you see them in the future and dismiss them. Barring the e-bucks thingy of course. A good deal is always a good deal.

Yep, won't be long and your convictions will either change or become that much stronger depending on what they are now. Start to talk, walk, and look just like the rest of us. The process is irreversible. Good luck.

Pour you another glass? Cheers!

I had the same issue drinking the Kool aid on the wine forum I joined seven years ago. So many great deals to be had. Now I own 500 bottles of fairly expensive wine that I can even justify the price to value. Which is not so easy in the morning standing in front of the toilet.
to which Wright replied

agnostic
BS Supporter

Postby agnostic » Thu May 03, 2018

rktect wrote: Which is not so easy in the morning standing in front of the toilet.

Nothing is easy about standing in front of the toilet in the morning. :duck:
Just stay away from the mirror :shock:
"Back in '82 I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile" --Uncle Rico

blevdawgAg47

Postby blevdawgAg47 » Thu May 03, 2018

1)Always be suspicious of modern bullion in plastic. To become familiar with modern fakes, reference fakebullion.com. It's run by natsb88, an outstanding member here and is the most comprehensive work on the subject I've seen. As long as the bullion is genuine, the plastic is inconsequential other than for retail purposes.
2)Some people like "vintage" bullion. 70s, 80s, 90s stuff can command a small premium even if generic.
3)Ebay is HUGE market. Like they say, there's one born every minute
ImageImageImage

iron-pyrite
Zombie Apocalypse Supporter

Postby iron-pyrite » Thu May 03, 2018

3) I believe that often it may be the best deal then can get. Many dealers don't want to deal with mailing one, one ounce bar. The profit margins are very small and not really worth the time. My LCS sells ASE all day for Spot +4.50 so the bay is not to bad. I list a few things now and then as a hobby and to build feedback. I may only net under a buck but it gets me out and about.

+Ebucks and CC CB
ImageImageImage

rktect

I guess I live in a good area with plenty of lcs to choose from. Chicagoland. I can’t imagine spot plus $4.50 for basic generic bars. One dealer said spot plus $2.50 and I walked out thinking the guy was nuts.
to which Wright replied

everything

Postby everything » Sun May 06, 2018

1. Doesn't matter, but I have 100 oz. of silvertownes in plastic folders, it stores real nice. The plastic can break down over time though.
2. Because your $ savvy, you probably noticed on dealer sites the more you buy, the better the price. Same for gold, the best deal you'll find is buying a full oz. at a time. I only buy singles or groups when it's a rarity thing, or if I'm collecting for numismatic purposes.
3. Premiums are premiums, I don't recommend playing the game unless your crossing over into numismatics, or getting into collecting bars with low mintage. Pay a premium price for a silver bar, then bring it to your LCS and see what they'll give you. I find old bars with less than 25,000 mintage at my LCS for spot, that can give you an idea for that game. But, we are all different, I don't mind old stuff that nobody else wants, I don't need shiny, and I go for lower mintage .999 bars thinking one day it may be "in" again. Honestly, I prefer to just save the money up and do 100 oz. buys when we are in a price dip.

MasterBlaster
Silver Supporter

Postby MasterBlaster » Mon May 07, 2018

rktect wrote:I guess I live in a good area with plenty of lcs to choose from. Chicagoland. I can’t imagine spot plus $4.50 for basic generic bars. One dealer said spot plus $2.50 and I walked out thinking the guy was nuts.

Spot + $4.50 was for American Silver Eagles and yes that's nuts :thumbup:
ImageImageImage

Return to “Burgers and Beers”