The Tailgate - Sports Central

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
jcz1

Re: The Tailgate - Sports Central

Postby jcz1 » Sat Sep 15, 2018

Tractor Man wrote:
jcz1 wrote:For Nats fans, this is all we have left (after demolishing any hope the Phillies had left!) ... rooting for players for Cy Young (Max, 3rd straight) and Rookie of the Year (Juan Soto, the only teenager in MLB history with 3 multi-homer games).

Could be, but I'm guessing DeGrom and Acuna for those 2 awards.

The Braves-Nats series is basically a place for the two ROTY choices to show their stuff against each other. Acuna won Friday night, with 4 hits and nearly hitting for the cycle, but Soto hit his 20th HR, closing in on the all-time record for a teenager. He's way ahead of everyone in teenage walks since 1900.

Today, Soto became the first teenager to steal 3 bases since 1900. He extended his on-base streak to 20 consecutive games to join Hall of Famers Mel Ott and Mickey Mantle as the only teenagers to do so. Acuna scored the only Braves run in their 7-1 loss, thanks to 14 (!) walks by the Braves pitchers.

Tractor Man
Gold Supporter

Postby Tractor Man » Sat Sep 15, 2018

jcz1 wrote:
Tractor Man wrote:
jcz1 wrote:For Nats fans, this is all we have left (after demolishing any hope the Phillies had left!) ... rooting for players for Cy Young (Max, 3rd straight) and Rookie of the Year (Juan Soto, the only teenager in MLB history with 3 multi-homer games).

Could be, but I'm guessing DeGrom and Acuna for those 2 awards.

The Braves-Nats series is basically a place for the two ROTY choices to show their stuff against each other. Acuna won Friday night, with 4 hits and nearly hitting for the cycle, but Soto hit his 20th HR, closing in on the all-time record for a teenager. He's way ahead of everyone in teenage walks since 1900.

Today, Soto became the first teenager to steal 3 bases since 1900. He extended his on-base streak to 20 consecutive games to join Hall of Famers Mel Ott and Mickey Mantle as the only teenagers to do so. Acuna scored the only Braves run in their 7-1 loss, thanks to 14 (!) walks by the Braves pitchers.

Soto's season has been very impressive. It's not called the Teenager of the Year award, it's the ROY not the TOY. :lol:
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. Charles Bukowski
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire

Image Image Image

Silversaving
Platinum Supporter

Postby Silversaving » Sat Sep 15, 2018

ImageAlways buying 2016 Rodebaugh Rolos

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Sun Sep 16, 2018

:P
Attachments
41824656_10156318215205041_4533175910337085440_n.jpg
41824656_10156318215205041_4533175910337085440_n.jpg (69.42 KiB) Viewed 275 times
ImageImageImage

MasterBlaster
Silver Supporter

Postby MasterBlaster » Sun Sep 16, 2018

Vikings tie GB with :31 in regulation, thanks to a Mathews roughing Brady :shifty: , I mean Cousins...:04 left in reg and GB moving...FG try...…..it's GOOOD...NO TO Vikes, another try and NO GOOD...OT baby :clap:

OT: Vikes miss 49 yd FG

GB: Punt w/ 1st poss.
Vikes: 35 yd fg attempt...MISSED AGAIN :oops: :oops: :oops: 3 missed fg's :thumbdown: TIE
ImageImageImage

Purple and Gold

MasterBlaster wrote:Vikings tie GB with :31 in regulation, thanks to a Mathews roughing Brady :shifty: , I mean Cousins...:04 left in reg and GB moving...FG try...…..it's GOOOD...NO TO Vikes, another try and NO GOOD...OT baby :clap:

Vikes: 35 yd fg attempt...MISSED AGAIN :oops: :oops: :oops: 3 missed fg's :thumbdown: TIE

:shock:
ImageImageImage

Silversaving
Platinum Supporter

Postby Silversaving » Sun Sep 16, 2018

Bills starting CB Vontae Davis just LITERALLY quit on his team at halftime. Said he was done with that crap team and walked off into the sunset lol.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/16/teammate-says-bills-vontae-davis-retired-at-halftime/
ImageAlways buying 2016 Rodebaugh Rolos

Purple and Gold

Silversaving wrote:Bills starting CB Vontae Davis just LITERALLY quit on his team at halftime. Said he was done with that crap team and walked off into the sunset lol.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/16/teammate-says-bills-vontae-davis-retired-at-halftime/

@ $312,500 per game, i think i would have at least finished the game!
ImageImageImage

trapperrick
Gold Supporter

Postby trapperrick » Sun Sep 16, 2018

My NFL pickem's look pretty rough this week.
I picked against my Steelers because their defense is atrocious and that was a good pick.
But so far I'm 5 and 5 on my picks.
“I, Franklin D Roosevelt…do declare that said national emergency still continues to exist and…do hereby prohibit the hoarding of gold…”

EXECUTIVE ORDER 6102, issued by US president Franklin Delano Roosevelt on April 5th 1933, banned private gold ownership .

PeacePeople

Postby PeacePeople » Sun Sep 16, 2018

MasterBlaster wrote:Vikings tie GB with :31 in regulation, thanks to a Mathews roughing Brady :shifty: , I mean Cousins...:04 left in reg and GB moving...FG try...…..it's GOOOD...NO TO Vikes, another try and NO GOOD...OT baby :clap:

How did the Pats do in Jacksonville? Asking for a friend....
ImageImageImage

MasterBlaster
Silver Supporter

Postby MasterBlaster » Sun Sep 16, 2018

PeacePeople wrote:

How did the Pats do in Jacksonville? Asking for a friend....

A friend told me he didn't think the Pat's made it to Jacksonville :roll: Nice to see Mike you're keeping tabs on your favorite team :thumbup:
ImageImageImage

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Mon Sep 17, 2018

My Saints didnt deserve to win, almost had to make a paper bag
ImageImageImage

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Mon Sep 17, 2018

Week Two: NFL Stadiums Plagued by Thousands of Empty Seats

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2018/0 ... pty-seats/

:pop:
There are more ways than one to skin a cat.

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Mon Sep 17, 2018

That roughing the passer call was horrible. :thumbdown:

He certainly wasn't there too late, the ball was barely out of the QB's hands. He didn't "body-slam" him, but I heard an announcer say something about body weight on top of the QB. So now you're supposed to be able to control where you come down while making a tackle??? :roll:

Cousins throws interceptions late in games, that's his MO. The Vikings won't always have a friendly ref to bail them out.

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Postby natsb88 » Mon Sep 17, 2018

jcz1 wrote:[...] heard an announcer say something about body weight on top of the QB. So now you're supposed to be able to control where you come down while making a tackle??? :roll:

Yep. Can't land on the passer with your body weight this year. I have only caught parts of a few games and saw it called several times.

Super Stacker PCB
Gold Supporter

Postby Super Stacker PCB » Mon Sep 17, 2018

They claimed it was due to him driving him into the ground with his body. Don’t think I saw it, looked like a clean hit to me, but the games getting a bit soft so they are calling everything.
Stackin' for the fun of Stackin' 1 oz at a time

ImageImage

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Mon Sep 17, 2018

I see the QB getting pushed down or shoved after throwing the ball all the time. No penalty. Im surprised theres not a rule against hitting a player after he crosses the goal line or catches the ball in the end zone, basically the play is over after he scores, same as being hit after he goes out of bounds on the sidelines.
ImageImageImage

MasterBlaster
Silver Supporter

Postby MasterBlaster » Mon Sep 17, 2018

Patriots sign Josh Gordon....NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reports that the New England Patriots have agreed to acquire Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon for a conditional 2019 fifth-round pick :shock:
ImageImageImage

trapperrick
Gold Supporter

Postby trapperrick » Mon Sep 17, 2018

MasterBlaster wrote:Patriots sign Josh Gordon....NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reports that the New England Patriots have agreed to acquire Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon for a conditional 2019 fifth-round pick :shock:

That's a good move for the Patriots. Take a player with lots of promise but has issues staying out of trouble with the law or can't pass a drug test (In this case, both) and bring him in to help the team.

I have to admit, the Patriots has had some success with turning around some players careers. Actually, I think whiney crybaby Antonio Brown with the Steelers should go there. I'm about sick of his attitude.
“I, Franklin D Roosevelt…do declare that said national emergency still continues to exist and…do hereby prohibit the hoarding of gold…”

EXECUTIVE ORDER 6102, issued by US president Franklin Delano Roosevelt on April 5th 1933, banned private gold ownership .

PeacePeople

Postby PeacePeople » Mon Sep 17, 2018

tdtwedt wrote:Week Two: NFL Stadiums Plagued by Thousands of Empty Seats

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2018/0 ... pty-seats/

:pop:

LA, Buffalo, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Washington DC and Nashville are the cities in that article. The one that surprises me of those is Buffalo. That fanbase seemed to be pretty rabid and loyal. Maybe having what might be the worst team in the league is turning them off. LA has never really been a good NFL city, I'm not sure why the league has such a stiffy to get back there, much less with 2 teams. Tampa and Nashville are probably fed up with losing teams and are not really traditional NFL cities. Atlanta sports is a tricky one, the people tend to show up when they're doing well and competitive, which they've been for the last couple years, but that might be old to them now and the Falcons need to become crap again, then good and then the fans will come back. I wouldn't go to a game for the Redskins. My belief is Dan Snyder is the worst owner in pro sports. Every move he makes seems to be a money grab and doesn't give a crap about the fans or the team. The traffic to and from that stadium is ridiculous, the parking is very expensive, the tickets are too expensive, the concessions are way over priced and all that money goes into the black hole that is Dan Snyder.

Going to a NFL game is an experience. However, it's also a pain in the butt. You drive or take public transportation to the stadium, pay for parking, the tickets, and the concessions. You can add to that the drive, the traffic and the amounts of time those take out of your day or weekend. You get a much better view of the action on TV than you do at the stadium, no matter what seat you're in, and it's much cheaper and more convenient. Even with the blackout rules you can still find ways to see your team on TV or stream it on a computer.

Going to a game, tailgating and taking in the experience is a good thing and I believe everyone should do it at least a few times in their life. College and NFL games, baseball and basketball also. They're all a good experience live, but they are not a convenient thing to do. If the game takes 3 hours to play and you have to drive an hour each way to get there, add in the traffic component and other time consuming things involved and it's a pain to do it for every game. Even if you live in the city that they play in, you're probably not getting home from or to the event in 15 minutes or less, so it's becoming more of a TV event than live attendance event for many.

Just my 2 cents...your results may vary
ImageImageImage

Return to “Burgers and Beers”