Any Vegetarians here?

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
Purple and Gold

Re: Any Vegetarians here?

Postby Purple and Gold » Mon Apr 08, 2019

Bucketeer wrote:Poach a big doe, and grind it up with 30% pork. It's the best burger you'll ever have.

My Grandparents were poor rural North La people and I remember my Grandmother making burgers this way with a little hamburger meat mixed in. Basically out of necessity. Oh How I wish i could have one of her burgers today
ImageImageImage

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019

For some reason, there were two different stories about the Impossible Whopper from St. Louis area writers in today's WaPo. Both say it seems to be selling well. One claimed it tastes pretty close to meat within the Whopper itself, less so all alone. Also noted was how low the bar is for fast-food burgers anyway. :lol:

They also mentioned that it costs $1 more than a regular whopper, at $5.59. The (admittedly thicker) burger shows up on Red Robin's site at over $13. :shock:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/vor ... 2d974d261f

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 7f486bd998

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Mon May 13, 2019

So I was ready to spend nearly $15 and get an Impossible Burger from Red Robin, had it in the cart and everything last week. Then I noticed their loyalty program, and saw that it included a free burger in your birth month (which actually is this month for me). So I signed up for that, but learned that it became effective the next day. I actually needed to wait 3 days for logistical reasons, but when I tried yesterday, the Impossible Burger was unavailable. You snooze you lose as they say. :oops:

Turns out, there is a shortage, partly thanks to Burger King:

At the Ted’s Bulletin chain, with five locations around the Washington region, the Impossible Burger is the fifth-most-popular sammich on the menu, said Nick Salis, vice president of operations. The chain sells about 250 a week, he said. But since its Burger King debut, “we’ve been seeing shortages,” Salis said. Ted’s buys a couple hundred pounds of the bulk mock meat each week, but lately the supplier has had to fill about half the company’s order with a similar product from Beyond Meat, Salis said.

“The demand for it is not as good,” Salis said about the Beyond Meat substitute. “People are typically okay with the Beyond Burger as long as you tell them ahead of time.”

Other restaurants report similar shortages. Big Buns Damn Good Burgers, with locations in Ballston and Shirlington, has experienced “supply interruptions for a little bit,” said Tom Racosky, co-founder and director of operations, but he added that Impossible Foods has been very responsive. At Quarry House Tavern, the popular dive bar in Silver Spring, operators have been without their supply for three weeks now, general manager Ellen Cox said.

“People are disappointed,” Cox said. “Rather than go for the vegan burger that we have now, they opt for the regular burger.”

These restaurant managers said the 2.0 version of the Impossible Burger has been a hit with diners, who don’t find other alternative-meat options as attractive. “The Impossible Burger feels, tastes and chews as close to a burger as I’ve seen,” said Salis of Ted’s Bulletin. That kind of customer demand has apparently surprised Impossible Foods, which has struggled to keep up with orders.

“We are straining to meet demand,” said David Lee, chief financial officer for Impossible Foods, in an interview with The Washington Post. “It’s a good problem to have, but it’s still a massive amount of growth at once.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/vor ... ad35e5f36c

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Mon May 13, 2019

After my first encounter with a veggie-burger, I'm looking forward to trying the "Impossible Whipper".

Red Robin priced themselves out of the market for most people, unless they have reduced prices over the past 10 years. A $20 burger isn't going anywhere, despite how tasty it is.
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.
Bitcoin: 1QC9tcPcA5R82CHr61BrkPgdh4fVmcCsgd

jcz1

An interesting side-by-side pic - which one looks better?:

Last edited by jcz1 on Mon May 13, 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Your pic isn't working Jim.

jcz1

Bucketeer wrote:After my first encounter with a veggie-burger, I'm looking forward to trying the "Impossible Whipper".

Red Robin priced themselves out of the market for most people, unless they have reduced prices over the past 10 years. A $20 burger isn't going anywhere, despite how tasty it is.

Thanks for pointing that out, since I could have sworn they weren't this high back when we went there from work for group lunches occasionally.

Bucketeer wrote:Your pic isn't working Jim.

Downloaded and hosted on imgur, hopefully it works now?

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Yeah, the pic works great. I'd say the burger on the right is meat, but they both look delicious.

jcz1

Bucketeer wrote:Yeah, the pic works great. I'd say the burger on the right is meat, but they both look delicious.

According to the caption under the pic in the original article, the beef Whopper is the one on the left.

BK said more cities will be added this summer, they didn't say if DC-area would be part of it. Doesn't really matter if Impossible Foods can't even meet current demand.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Sun May 19, 2019

Fake Meat: the growth in popularity of artificial meat.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Momofuku Cooks Impossible Foods' Meat-Free Burger that Bleeds.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

This is a way off-topic, but it sure looks good.

Diggin4copper
Kraken Supporter

Postby Diggin4copper » Sun May 19, 2019

We made some Burnt ends last month. My arteries are just about cleared up now.. time to make another batch. Hard to believe, but I think they are better than bacon.
Outstanding!

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Mon May 20, 2019

Speaking of bacon - I just tried these, pretty good but very expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018C ... UTF8&psc=1

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Mon May 20, 2019

$8.98 for 3 ounces? Outta my budget.

I'm not a vegan, but I'm eating less and less beef and chicken every year. I still have a steak every Saturday night at my local AMVETS post, but I love bacon. Veggie Bacon costs too much for me to even consider it.

Bacon makes everything better. :thumbup:

Fistfulladirt

Postby Fistfulladirt » Tue May 21, 2019

Haven’t had a steak in over a year, red meat maybe a couple times. Avoiding breads and anything grain. Lots of chicken and asparagus weekly. Avoid fruits, blueberries here and there. No spuds. Anything green good to go.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Tue May 21, 2019

I don't think I could do that, especially steak and spuds. That's my Saturday Night heart-attack Special.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Thu May 23, 2019

jcz1 wrote:
Bucketeer wrote:After my first encounter with a veggie-burger, I'm looking forward to trying the "Impossible Whipper".

Thanks for pointing that out, since I could have sworn they weren't this high back when we went there from work for group lunches occasionally.

Bucketeer wrote:Your pic isn't working Jim.

Downloaded and hosted on imgur, hopefully it works now?

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Fri May 31, 2019

KFC is considering plant-based fried chicken but has no plans to test right now, executive says

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/30/kfc-is- ... t-now.html
There are more ways than one to skin a cat.

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Fri May 31, 2019

tdtwedt wrote:KFC is considering plant-based fried chicken but has no plans to test right now, executive says

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/30/kfc-is- ... t-now.html

I hope they do, I think it would be awesome. It seems likely that most of the flavor comes from the 11 herbs and spices in their breading, so if they can find something that can generate enough grease, it could be great, :thumbup: although likely still really bad for us :thumbdown:

Return to “Burgers and Beers”