BS Banter-For the drivel that belongs no where

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
Purple and Gold

Re: BS Banter-For the drivel that belongs no where

Postby Purple and Gold » Mon Sep 23, 2019

The NYSE opening bell has never been happier, Melania T is about to "Ring my Bell" :)
ImageImageImage

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Tue Sep 24, 2019

One in 7 adults in New Orleans has a warrant out for arrest, new data shows

There are more than 56,000 outstanding warrants in New Orleans's Municipal Court, dating to 2002, according to city data. A staggering 1 of 7 adults in the country's 50th-largest city have a warrant out for their arrest.

Typically, the crime is failing to appear for scheduled court dates for minor, nonviolent offenses that do not carry a jail sentence, including panhandling and fishing without a license. (Two notable exceptions are battery and domestic abuse, which account for roughly 6 percent of all the warrants.)

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/a ... 462615.php
There are more ways than one to skin a cat.

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Wed Sep 25, 2019

UAE’s First Astronaut Will Be Launched with Strict Islamic Prayer Guide

The first astronaut from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) will be launched into space Wednesday with a strict set of Islamic guidelines telling him how to practise his faith on the International Space Station.

As a Muslim, Hazza Al Mansouri has to pray five times a day, but the question is how he would do it – due to time and space constraints. Hazza will be orbiting the earth every 90 minutes, which means he will be witnessing 16 sunsets and sunrises a day. Observant Muslims are expected to pray and fast according to the time of day no matter where they are.

https://www.breitbart.com/middle-east/2 ... yer-guide/

:pop:

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Thu Sep 26, 2019

Fremont Police Tesla Near-Dead Battery Forces Officer Off Pursuit

A Tesla electric patrol car by the Fremont Police ran low on electricity in the middle of a pursuit, after the department said someone forgot to plug the vehicle into a charger.

According to officials, the officer was pursuing a vehicle headed down to the South Bay when the car began to run low on battery power.

“Just slowed down to six miles of battery on the Tesla, so I may lose it here in a sec,” the officer said, according to police radio transmissions. “If someone else is able, can they maneuver into the number one spot?”

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2019/ ... y-pursuit/

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Wed Oct 02, 2019

Runner killed by lightning while finishing 50K race in southeast Kansas

A runner has been killed by lightning as he was about to finish a 50 kilometer (31.07 miles) race in southeast Kansas.

Organizers of the FlatRock race said in a Facebook post that 33-year-old Thomas Stanley, of Andover, was struck Saturday while competing in the race at the Elk City State Park, which is about 150 miles (240 kilometers) southwest of Kansas City, Missouri.

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/runner-kill ... ast-kansas

skylersfriend
Turtle Jester

Postby skylersfriend » Wed Oct 02, 2019

Neither banter nor drivel; a great snippet from the book ZORBA THE GREEK:

A QUOTE FROM "Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis

“When shall I at last retire into solitude alone, without companions, without joy and without sorrow, with only the sacred certainty that all is a dream? When, in my rags—without desires—shall I retire contented into the mountains? When, seeing that my body is merely sickness and crime, age and death, shall I—free, fearless, and blissful—retire to the forest? When? When, oh when?
“No, you're not free," he said. "The string you're tied to is perhaps no longer than other people's. That's all. You're on a long piece of string, boss; you come and go, and think you're free, but you never cut the string in two. And when people don't cut that string . . ."
"I'll cut it some day!" I said defiantly, because Zorba's words had touched an open wound in me and hurt.
"It's difficult, boss, very difficult. You need a touch of folly to do that; folly, d'you see? You have to risk everything! But you've got such a strong head, it'll always get the better of you. A man's head is like a grocer; it keeps accounts: I've paid so much and earned so much and that means a profit of this much or a loss of that much! The head's a careful little shopkeeper; it never risks all it has, always keeps something in reserve. It never breaks the string. Ah no! It hangs on tight to it, the bastard! If the string slips out of its grasp, the head, poor devil, is lost, finished! But if a man doesn't break the string, tell me, what flavor is left in life? The flavor of camomile, weak camomile tea! Nothing like rum-that makes you see life inside out!”

"Life is trouble. Only death is not. To be alive is to undo your belt and *look* for trouble."

“To think things out properly and fairly, a fellow's got to be calm and old and toothless: When you're an old gaffer with no teeth, it's easy to say: 'Damn it, boys, you mustn't bite!' But, when you've got all thirty-two teeth...”

- Zorba the Greek, Nikos Kazantzakis

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Thu Oct 03, 2019

Elon Musk’s plan for sending people to Mars is probably a suicide mission

https://thenextweb.com/science/2019/10/ ... e-mission/

:pop:

skylersfriend
Turtle Jester

Postby skylersfriend » Thu Oct 03, 2019

;)
Attachments
offended.JPG
offended.JPG (104.19 KiB) Viewed 396 times

"Life is trouble. Only death is not. To be alive is to undo your belt and *look* for trouble."

“To think things out properly and fairly, a fellow's got to be calm and old and toothless: When you're an old gaffer with no teeth, it's easy to say: 'Damn it, boys, you mustn't bite!' But, when you've got all thirty-two teeth...”

skylersfriend
Turtle Jester

Postby skylersfriend » Thu Oct 03, 2019

;)
Attachments
gobbledy gook.JPG
gobbledy gook.JPG (64.51 KiB) Viewed 368 times

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Fri Oct 04, 2019

Ohio Police Hunt For Speedo-Clad "Pervert" Haunting Kent State Sorority House

Ohio police are seeking to identify a Speedo-clad man who prowled around a Kent State University sorority house early Monday morning.

The suspect, who was recorded by a doorbell cam.

http://thesmokinggun.com/buster/kent-st ... use-214083

:mrgreen:

ZIPS5000
Gold Supporter

Postby ZIPS5000 » Fri Oct 04, 2019

tdtwedt wrote:Ohio Police Hunt For Speedo-Clad "Pervert" Haunting Kent State Sorority House

Ohio police are seeking to identify a Speedo-clad man who prowled around a Kent State University sorority house early Monday morning.

The suspect, who was recorded by a doorbell cam.

http://thesmokinggun.com/buster/kent-st ... use-214083

:mrgreen:

I would have guessed it's a fraternity pledge, except he was wearing a speedo...

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Fri Oct 04, 2019

How NOT to surprise someone for their birthday:

Christopher Bergan, who lives in Norway, flew into Florida on Tuesday, arriving at about 11 p.m. He then went to his father-in-law’s Pensacola-area house, hoping to surprise him for his birthday. Bergan banged on the back door of the house at about 11:30 p.m. and then hid in the shadows, according to ABC News.

When the father-in-law, Richard Dennis, opened the door, Bergan jumped from the bushes and made a growling noise, Santa Rosa County Sheriff Bob Johnson said at a press conference Thursday.

The move scared Dennis, who discharged one round from his gun “striking Mr. Bergan, killing him instantly.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... rid=119465

There must be something more to this story. Who flies across the Atlantic (alone?) to surprise his F-I-L? Is it normal in Norway to bang on someone's door and then jump out from bushes so late at night? :?

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Sat Oct 05, 2019

Sexercise! Research reveals how many calories different positions burn - with standing up landing first place at 350 calories and 'lazy' spooning ranking last

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... ealed.html

:geek:

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Mon Oct 07, 2019

China’s Breeding Giant Pigs That Are as Heavy as Polar Bears

In a farm deep in the southern region of China lives a very big pig that’s as heavy as a polar bear.

The 500 kilogram, or 1,102 pound, animal is part of a herd that’s being bred to become giant swine.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-br ... 22756.html

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Tue Oct 08, 2019

Army Combat Fitness Test Fiasco! Slides Reveal 84% of Women Failing ACFT

According to the numbers, a jaw-dropping 36% of soldiers overall failed the test, with 64% passing. When you break it down by gender, 70% of men passed. But here is a number should kill and bury the ACFT evermore: 84% of women failed the test.

https://news.clearancejobs.com/2019/10/ ... ling-acft/

AGhead

Postby AGhead » Tue Oct 08, 2019

^ Sad times. The words "qualified or qualifications" seem to no longer apply. They are being replaced with "discrimination, prejudice, racist, sexist, etc...)
I guess 'sexual discrimination' and 'affirmative action' started this pitiful continuing development.

Back in the day, I had to qualify:

To make any sports team
To get into any advanced classes in school (I didn't),
To get even a crappy job
To vote
For welfare (never tried)
To serve my country and as I continued active duty,
For bank loans,
Etc............

I sure hate to see a soldier serving to defend our country needs not to qualify.
Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend."

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Thu Oct 10, 2019

Britain is sending a four-legged robotic rover to the moon

The moon rover is a four-legged robot developed by British start-up Spacebit.

Spacebit signed an agreement with U.S. firm Astrobotic to launch its first mission in 2021.

It will be Britain’s first rover to be sent to the moon, following in the footsteps of the U.S., China and Russia.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/10/britain ... -moon.html

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Thu Oct 10, 2019

Here's something else besides "fire" to avoid shouting in a move theater: :roll:

Unfounded reports of a shooting that caused panic at an Arlington movie theater were the result of a misinterpreted video game reference shouted during a film, police said Wednesday.

On Sept. 14, officers responded to calls about a possible shooter at the Ballston Quarter theater in the 4200 block of Wilson Boulevard. Moviegoers were told to shelter in place, but a search found no evidence of a shooting.

Police said an investigation showed that a juvenile shouted, “Pennywise has sharpshooter activated!” during a screening of “It Chapter Two.” The statement referenced the clown antagonist of the “It” franchise and “sharpshooter mode,” a feature in some video games.

Some who heard the shout thought it referenced an active shooter, police said. Arlington County Commonwealth’s Attorney Theo Stamos said no crime was committed and no charges will be filed.

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Fri Oct 11, 2019

tdtwedt wrote:Army Combat Fitness Test Fiasco! Slides Reveal 84% of Women Failing ACFT

According to the numbers, a jaw-dropping 36% of soldiers overall failed the test, with 64% passing. When you break it down by gender, 70% of men passed. But here is a number should kill and bury the ACFT evermore: 84% of women failed the test.

They cant run for 20 mins @ 2miles? I dont even want to know their Rifle range score :|
Now I see why NO former Military member ever rejoins as a Marine. You better be able to run 3 miles in 18-20 mins or you will forever be an E-1 private.
ImageImageImage

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Fri Oct 11, 2019

Purple and Gold wrote:
tdtwedt wrote:Army Combat Fitness Test Fiasco! Slides Reveal 84% of Women Failing ACFT

They cant run for 20 mins @ 2miles? I dont even want to know their Rifle range score :|
Now I see why NO former Military member ever rejoins as a Marine. You better be able to run 3 miles in 18-20 mins or you will forever be an E-1 private.

It isn't the run that gets them. As the article states, it is the leg tuck event. 72% female failure rate. To view the event and judge for yourself, see this video:

If you want to see all 6 events, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnVTW1Lh7zk

My analysis: the author of the originally linked article is a moron. He states
But here is a number should kill and bury the ACFT evermore: 84% of women failed the test. Those numbers are so absurdly biased against women that I was afraid this was some sort of elaborate joke by Duffelblog.

The numbers aren't biased against women, the RESULTS are biased against any person who is either fat, out of shape, or both....and we have plenty of those, even in the military. There are three levels of "passing" each event. The minimum standard to be in the Army is ONE leg tuck. Just one! If you want to be in the infantry, artillery, or a heavy combat arms branch, you need to do a minimum of five. If you want to be a support soldier, you only need to do a single leg tuck. The article doesn't state which minimum level the females are failing at, but I'm willing to bet it is the overall minimum of one.

The irony is, the Army tried to create this new ACFT in a gender-neutral fashion. I knew immediately that this leg tuck event would be the great equalizer because you can't fake it. I've seen plenty of out-of-shape people be able to knock out 50 sit-ups. But those same people can't do these leg tucks, especially if they are overweight (and a lot of these females are just that). My response... buh-bye! Of course, we know that the most likely response is to call the test "biased against women" as the author also does, so the events will likely be changed. You can't lower the minimum standard to less than one can you?

Return to “Burgers and Beers”