Introducing FakeBullion.com

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Re: Introducing FakeBullion.com

Postby natsb88 » Tue Jan 24, 2017

It seems a few of you would have chosen the fake bar over the real one. Indeed the fakes are actually sometimes a bit "prettier" than the real thing.

This particular fake has been floating around for nearly a year. I wonder how many have been sold to unsuspecting buyers on Craigslist and eBay and at pawn shops and even coin dealers? And how many of those have unknowingly been resold by innocent victims? And how many are stashed away in safes and will hit the market again in 1 year or 10 years or 50 years?

It's a problem, and it's only going to get worse as more fakes come into the country and accumulate.

I just got some interesting specs on "in stock" gold-plated tungsten fakes directly from a Chinese seller, as well as a screenshot of an email from somebody in the US to the counterfeiters discussing plating thicknesses. I'll be posting those shortly in the FakeBullion.com members only forum and eventually I'll write a public piece up about them.

pre24.jpg
pre24.jpg (129.06 KiB) Viewed 423 times

The full comparison is posted in the Fake Bullion Database. Available now for supporting members, available in 60 days for the general public. I will be removing the bars from the cards to do a comparison of the bars themselves next.

https://www.fakebullion.com/index.php/c ... card-gen-3

DRP270
Site Admin

Postby DRP270 » Tue Jan 24, 2017

8-)
ImageImageImage

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Postby natsb88 » Tue Jan 24, 2017

natsb88 wrote:I just got some interesting specs on "in stock" gold-plated tungsten fakes directly from a Chinese seller, as well as a screenshot of an email from somebody in the US to the counterfeiters discussing plating thicknesses. I'll be posting those shortly in the FakeBullion.com members only forum and eventually I'll write a public piece up about them.

This stuff is up in the FakeBullion.com Forum now, along with a bunch of pictures of gold-plated tungsten eagles that appear to be dead-on in size and weight. Go check it out if you're a member.

Rik Bitter
Gold Jester

Postby Rik Bitter » Tue Jan 24, 2017

Good thing I buy mostly poured silver. I suck at this.
*** Looking for YPS #18s. Will Trade/purchase any you might have. ***

Eighteen! I get confused every day
Eighteen! I just don't know what to say
Eighteen! I gotta get away -- Alice Cooper

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Wed Jan 25, 2017

Rik Bitter wrote:Good thing I buy mostly poured silver. I suck at this.

But you seemed so confident in your first response! I tend to shy away from carded gold for this reason, unless the deal is too good, because the fakes are a bit tougher to tell when comparing sizes, weights, dimensions, etc versus coins. Well, that and I have one of those Fisch devices as well as the PMV - which helps with coins, not carded bars.

Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Anyway, thanks for the quiz Nate.
ImageImageImage
Proverbs 21:19-20 Better to live in a desert than with a quarrelsome and nagging wife. The wise store up choice food and olive oil, but fools gulp theirs down.

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Postby natsb88 » Fri Apr 07, 2017

I just added the Pamp Veriscan 1 oz gold bar to the database here. It's another scary good counterfeit. I am in the process of getting set up with Pamp's Veriscan system. I have the scanner and positioning frame and a 2d barcode scanner all set up, just having some issues downloading the software (and the time difference causes a bit of a delay). I will eventually put it to the test and make a demo video.

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Fri Apr 07, 2017

I only buy assay-card gold from a major dealer who got it from the manufacturer, or who mints their own, such as Scottsdale. Even then, I test it with the PMV before tucking it away in the SDB or selling it. I never want to have any doubts about gold.

In Nate's comparison earlier, I got completely suckered by Perth's sloppy job of carding. I would not buy that because it seemed so obvious. Too obvious, in this case.

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Postby natsb88 » Sun Apr 16, 2017

Fake gold scam: high schooler conned victims out of nearly $60,000

A relatively easy internet purchase of fake gold bars supplied a local high school teen with the means to con a handful of adults in Oregon and Washington through a scheme that brought him about $60,000 in cash and assets.

Read more on FakeBullion.com

Return to “Friends of BullionStacker”