Any gardeners?

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
NorthernStacker

Re: Any gardeners?

Postby NorthernStacker » Wed Sep 09, 2015

pitw wrote:Do you sell eggs that be fertilized? I'm thinking I mite like to try them.

Actually this is my first year with these , the 4 hens were a year or two old when I got them, then I got another hen with 2 baby chicks, that I kept separated until they got big enough to put them with the others. The mother hen will fight to the death to protect her chicks...so there was a small but intense "fight" between the mother hen and the other main hen in the other flock. The mother hen is now the main hen needless to say lol. Turns out one of the new chicks in a roster but not old enough to fertilize eggs yet.

Not sure how to ship eggs though but I am sure i could try to send some once he starts doing his thing.
ImageImageImage

pitw
Gold Supporter

Postby pitw » Wed Sep 09, 2015

I could always use a road trip in April. :thumbup:

NorthernStacker

The east coast in a long way to go for a few eggs lol.
ImageImageImage

BarsandStars
Turtle Supporter

Postby BarsandStars » Wed Sep 09, 2015

NorthernStacker wrote:
pitw wrote:Do you sell eggs that be fertilized? I'm thinking I mite like to try them.

Actually this is my first year with these , the 4 hens were a year or two old when I got them, then I got another hen with 2 baby chicks, that I kept separated until they got big enough to put them with the others. The mother hen will fight to the death to protect her chicks...so there was a small but intense "fight" between the mother hen and the other main hen in the other flock. The mother hen is now the main hen needless to say lol. Turns out one of the new chicks in a roster but not old enough to fertilize eggs yet.

Not sure how to ship eggs though but I am sure i could try to send some once he starts doing his thing.

How long was it until your birds started laying. We have 9 birds that are approx. 3-6 months old and another 7 chicks that are about a month. They're all co-habituating the coop at night without issue. The chicks stay in the run while I'm at work and the bigger hens get to free range. One of my neighbors chickens sometimes escapes and hangs out with them.

What other fruits/veggies do you give them for snacks? I threw some whole corn cobs in the coop the other night and they were picked completely clean the nexts morning. Yet they won't touch cracked corn...
Joining Binance to trade cryptos? Click my referral link below!
www.binance.com/?ref=20981136

NorthernStacker

Well I got my first 4 from a friend and they were 1 to 2 years old and were already laying, The new chicks are like 3 months old now (I think) and the hen isn't laying yet, the other is a rooster. Mine eat cracked/crushed corn no problem.

I give them layers crumble feed and I have a bag of 3 grain (mash) corn, grain,oats I think as a treat, plus fresh carrots( my rejects) any kind of berry I find they like, they loved the small purple grapes, they like ripe tomatoes, green pepper seed clusters they love. Forgot they love apple cores as well.

I also make a potato mash from old potatoes, boil them, throw in some mash or cracked corn, a small amount of saved up bacon or ground beef fat, mix it all up, then I use a soup ladle and make lade sized balls on a cookie sheet on wax paper, and freeze them, then when you want to treat them , take it out of the freezer and microwave it for a few min to soften it up, they go crazy over them lol.
Last edited by NorthernStacker on Wed Sep 09, 2015, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

BarsandStars
Turtle Supporter

Postby BarsandStars » Wed Sep 09, 2015

NorthernStacker wrote:Well I got my first 4 from a friend and they were 1 to 2 years old and were already laying, The new chicks are like 3 months old now (I think) and the hen isn't laying yet, the other is a rooster. Mine eat cracked/crushed corn no problem.

I give them layers crumble feed and I have a bag of 3 grain (mash) corn, grain,oats I think as a treat, plus fresh carrots( my rejects) any kind of berry I find they like, they loved the small purple grapes, they like ripe tomatoes, green pepper seed clusters they love.

I also make a potato mash from old potatoes, boil them, throw in some mash or cracked corn, a small amount of saved up bacon or ground beef fat, mix it all up, then I use a soup ladle and make lade sized balls on a cookie sheet on wax paper, and freeze them, then when you want to treat them , take it out of the freezer and microwave it for a few min to soften it up, they go crazy over them lol.

Awesome ideas!!! Thanks for sharing.

BarsandStars
Turtle Supporter

Postby BarsandStars » Mon Apr 18, 2016

2016 growing season is nearing. Anyone have any cool tips and tricks to share? Trying anything new this year?

I've expanded my garden considerably this year and added more chickens to our flock as well.

This year I plan to cut back on tomatoes and increase the amount of melons I grow. Can never have enough melons :thumbup:

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Mon Apr 18, 2016

I have bell peppers growing on the old plants that i planted in Feb 2015. Still kicking! :shock:
Tomato blossoms are starting to show. I have Big Boy. Better Boy and some Heirloom Romanian tomatoes! My Romanian friend sent the seeds to me straight from Romania :thumbup:
Cant wait to see how they turn out.
For the first time ever, i planted Sweet Potatoes :P
ImageImageImage

dbm300

Postby dbm300 » Mon Apr 18, 2016

jealous!
wish I had the space to grow vegtables.

I might get a few patio tomatoes
... and Bob's your uncle.

Ultmetree
Gold Supporter

Postby Ultmetree » Mon Apr 18, 2016

Started 3 Small 2x4 raised beds with jalapeños, squash, Bell peppers, and mater's so far..i got some chocolate maters from a guy as well..may do more as funds become avaiable..usually have heck from the squirrels and birds..we'll see how goes.
ImageImage

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Mon Apr 18, 2016

wow, chocolate may-ters! never heard of those
Ps,, you say that like a North Louisiana country person :)
ImageImageImage

Ultmetree
Gold Supporter

Postby Ultmetree » Mon Apr 18, 2016

:) southeast texas. never heard of choc. maters either till recently.

choc mater.jpg
choc mater.jpg (32.26 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
ImageImage

PitBullion
Gold Supporter

Postby PitBullion » Mon Apr 18, 2016

I try out here in vegas but the damn sun just kills everything in the summer lol. Only thing I can get to stay alive is my mini cacti and my kumquat tree lol
Poured Silver, Antique Fininshing and 24K Gold Gilding http://www.PitBullionLV.com

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Tue Apr 19, 2016

Ultmetree wrote::) southeast texas. never heard of choc. maters either till recently.

choc mater.jpg

Thats a beauty, i need to find some seeds!
ImageImageImage

BarsandStars
Turtle Supporter

Postby BarsandStars » Tue Apr 19, 2016

ordered some purple sweet potatoes last night along with some regular ones :thumbup:

everything

Postby everything » Wed Apr 20, 2016

Renting a plot again this year, but I don't pay for it, I just work the rent off, for those who only have a deck, look into community gardens or use craigslist to ask someone if they have some dirt/land, etc.

I've already got a ton of garlic coming on, already planted radish, spinach, lettuce, carrot, and onion seed, starting some cucumbers inside tonight. I planted way early, it has to be hot for allot of this stuff to grow, the spinach I planted last fall is even growing back, but the weeds, man .. but when the soil is wet after rain is a great time to weed the garden they come out way easier.
Saved potatoes from last year and right on queue they are throwing shoots out, I'll cut those up soon and get those ready. Hopefully I'll can more this year.

Cheep tiller is a mantis, echo has one like it, very light easy to handle, 2 stroke.

standjw

Postby standjw » Wed Apr 20, 2016

Love it. Built my own hydroponics this year. We will see. Looking better than soil so far. San Marzano and another heirloom Siberian should keep tomatoes plenty.
"The strong do what they will, and the weak suffer what they must."
-Thucydides

Recluse
Gold Supporter

Postby Recluse » Sat Jul 09, 2016

Getting some nice onions this year. Hopefully we will have a few weeks of dry weather now so I can cure some for storage.
ImageImage

silverhead
Silver Supporter

Postby silverhead » Sat Jul 09, 2016

My wife has been on an "Asian" food kick this year. She asked me to grow some herbs. The sweet mint and spearmint have done quite well. I found a baby tomato plant growing wild between my citrus trees in December. I put it in a small pot and it took off (should have put it in a bigger pot :lol: ). I have been eating some type of heirloom cherry tomatoes since February, I am getting tired of them even though they are as sweet as candy.
ImageImageImage

Recluse
Gold Supporter

Postby Recluse » Sat Jul 09, 2016

silverhead wrote:My wife has been on an "Asian" food kick this year. She asked me to grow some herbs. The sweet mint and spearmint have done quite well. I found a baby tomato plant growing wild between my citrus trees in December. I put it in a small pot and it took off (should have put it in a bigger pot :lol: ). I have been eating some type of heirloom cherry tomatoes since February, I am getting tired of them even though they are as sweet as candy.

Tomatoes in December and February?
What part of the country do you live?
ImageImage

Return to “Burgers and Beers”