2019 PUMPKIN

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
Diggin4copper
Kraken Supporter

Re: 2019 PUMPKIN

Postby Diggin4copper » Mon Feb 11, 2019

Outstanding!

Rodebaugh
Jester

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Feb 11, 2019

Diggin4copper wrote:How many people will the giant seed I won feed?

Family of four....3 meals each.

PM me your addy. ;)

Rodebaugh
Jester

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Feb 26, 2019

I am starting the process....or rather continuing the process of adding amendments. Here is a copy of my working list as seen on my Notepad document.

16 Bags Peat Moss.............lowes 4 of 16 worked in
30 bags leaf compost..........lowes
1 bag lime....................lowes
5oz borax 12%.................Have
2oz copper sulfate............Have
14oz epsom salt...............Have
4 Warming cables..............Amazon via BS link
2-3 greenhouses...............tractor supply
1 flame thrower...............Purchased Amazon via BS link

--------------------------------------
In Process

16 Bags Peat Moss.............4 Bags of 16

--------------------------------------
Finished

25# potassium sulfate
1# Manganese sulfate
200# Gypsum

So there are a bunch of things (money) to be dumped on the ground before the plants go in. I should have the Weed Dragon by tomorrow. I'm pretty stoked about burning up the lawn. Expect some cool pictures from that. Until then, here is a picture of what 4 bags (3cuft each) of peat look like on the ground. I'd estimate that it has an application depth of just over a 1/4".

2-24-19.jpg
2-24-19.jpg (820.28 KiB) Viewed 484 times

Rik Bitter
Gold Jester

Postby Rik Bitter » Tue Feb 26, 2019

Rodebaugh wrote:I am starting the process....or rather continuing the process of adding amendments. Here is a copy of my working list as seen on my Notepad document.

1 flame thrower...............Purchased Amazon via BS link

It's becoming clear to me that growing pumpkins is far more complicated than I ever could have imagined.
*** LOOKING FOR YPS #17 & 18s. Please contact me if you have any for sale.***

ImageImage

Diggin4copper
Kraken Supporter

Postby Diggin4copper » Tue Feb 26, 2019

Me too...
FOR SALE- 1 giant pumpkin seed
Outstanding!

Diggin4copper
Kraken Supporter

Postby Diggin4copper » Tue Feb 26, 2019

My son wants to know.. is that plot for 1 pumpkin? Or a bunch...
Outstanding!

Rodebaugh
Jester

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Feb 26, 2019

Diggin4copper wrote:My son wants to know.. is that plot for 1 pumpkin? Or a bunch...

Weed Dragon arrived a day early. :thumbup:

The patch before and after the burn. There will be 3 pumpkin plants in this 2000+ish....sqft

2-26-19c.jpg
2-26-19c.jpg (793.57 KiB) Viewed 437 times

2-26-19a.jpg
2-26-19a.jpg (913.98 KiB) Viewed 437 times

2-26-19b.jpg
2-26-19b.jpg (706.61 KiB) Viewed 437 times

chris6084

Postby chris6084 » Wed Feb 27, 2019

Rodebaugh wrote:
Diggin4copper wrote:My son wants to know.. is that plot for 1 pumpkin? Or a bunch...

Weed Dragon arrived a day early. :thumbup:

The patch before and after the burn. There will be 3 pumpkin plants in this 2000+ish....sqft

2-26-19c.jpg

2-26-19a.jpg

2-26-19b.jpg

How loud is that thing? I bought one and was super excited to burn up weeds in my back yard. When blowing the flame, it sounded louder than a freight train, and I was afraid all my neighbors were going to come running outside to see what the heck was going on.

Granted, my neighbors house is only a few feet away from mine.

Rodebaugh
Jester

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Feb 27, 2019

Chris, it is very loud......adds to the overall coolness of lighting stuff on fire IMO. :lol:

gamayun

Postby gamayun » Wed Feb 27, 2019

What do you need borax 12% and epsom salt for? And how do you use heating cables in the greenhouse( plasment)?

Rodebaugh
Jester

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Feb 27, 2019

gamayun wrote:What do you need borax 12% and epsom salt for? And how do you use heating cables in the greenhouse( plasment)?

Borax is a good natural source for boron. Boron helps drive maximum calcium uptake and calcium is important in cell wall growth and strength. Epsom salt is high in magnesium. Magnesium is a micro nutrient that is vital to good Chlorophyll production.

Soil Warming cables are all about taking it to the next level. I can get my plants in the ground and happy 3-4 weeks earlier by fabricating a better environment. Add in starting the plants in the house 2-3 weeks earlier and I gain 1.5-2 bonus months of growth. I'll take some pictures and do a write up when I lay them out. It is pretty much like you think ....just a bunch of zigzags.

Good questions. :thumbup:

gamayun

Postby gamayun » Thu Feb 28, 2019

Cool, thanks. I want to grow some beets this year. My kids really like them with strawberry an yogurt + good for health an I want to prep the ground properly ( I have clay dirt all over my garden and got very little ugly beets last year).

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Thu Feb 28, 2019

gamayun wrote:Cool, thanks. I want to grow some beets this year. My kids really like them with strawberry an yogurt + good for health an I want to prep the ground properly ( I have clay dirt all over my garden and got very little ugly beets last year).

What your soil needs more than anything else at this time is organic matter. Leaves, grass clippings, kitchen scraps, etc. I don't know where you are at but starting now will help your garden greatly next year.

This is a great starter book: https://play.google.com/store/books/det ... lsrc=aw.ds

The review at the bottom says volumes.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" Voltaire

Brick's
Supporter

Rodebaugh wrote:Chris, it is very loud......adds to the overall coolness of lighting stuff on fire IMO. :lol:

Hummm, Fire. Kills all the unwanted ground cover, weeds and weed seeds that recently entered the soil and prevents competition for nutrients. Once your babies get root set nicely, would/do you consider a shallow rooted ground cover crop to keep unwanted out and to use as green manure organic matter for the following year? If so, what is/are the choices? if not,why?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" Voltaire

Rodebaugh
Jester

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Feb 28, 2019

Brick's wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:Chris, it is very loud......adds to the overall coolness of lighting stuff on fire IMO. :lol:

Hummm, Fire. Kills all the unwanted ground cover, weeds and weed seeds that recently entered the soil and prevents competition for nutrients. Once your babies get root set nicely, would/do you consider a shallow rooted ground cover crop to keep unwanted out and to use as green manure organic matter for the following year? If so, what is/are the choices? if not,why?

I try to keep the patch as weed free for two main reasons: decrease the competition for nutrients and increase are flow.
Proper air flow helps combat fungi and rot. With that said, I do think that I will broadcast sow a mustard cover crop 2-3 weeks BEFORE the pumpkin(s) leave the patch this season.

I have been told to stay away from green manure because of seeds and higher likelihood of plant pathogens. I can't confirm any of that but I'm playing it safe. Last year I did use a composted cow manure sourced from Lowes. Black Cow Brand. I liked it and it seemed to work well. I believe that it is rated at 0.5-.0.5-0.5......so it was relatively passive.

gamayun

Postby gamayun » Thu Feb 28, 2019

Brick's wrote:
gamayun wrote:Cool, thanks. I want to grow some beets this year. My kids really like them with strawberry an yogurt + good for health an I want to prep the ground properly ( I have clay dirt all over my garden and got very little ugly beets last year).

What your soil needs more than anything else at this time is organic matter. Leaves, grass clippings, kitchen scraps, etc. I don't know where you are at but starting now will help your garden greatly next year.

This is a great starter book: https://play.google.com/store/books/det ... lsrc=aw.ds

The review at the bottom says volumes.

I have three barrels of year old compost made from vegi and fruit leftovers ready to go in the soil :) + pile of 2 year old wood chips that have few rain worms already in it. I will check out the link, thanks

Brick's
Supporter

Then you are much further ahead of the game than I thought. Carry on.

Edited to add:

My bad doc. I didn't mean fresh green manure I meant a cover crop like the mustard you are mentioning to keep weeds out and 'tilled under as a "green" plant manure. I understand the problems with uncomposted manure. Yea, to much nitrogen and what ever else they ate that's still alive when it comes out. But, you answered my question anyway. Just wanted to clear up any miscommunication from choice of words.

Rodebaugh
Jester

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Mar 13, 2019

Completed my first till on the new ground extension yesterday evening. Thank goodness! I'm learning a good bit about my soil as I go along. Its tough to tell from my photos but my patch drops about 5-6 feet from the top diagonal down. So we are pretty well drained. The darker color of last year's portion is due to 27cuft of peat moss laying on top. I will add a similar amount to the new area before my final till of the complete plot.

Before till:

After till:
3-12-19.jpg
3-12-19.jpg (725.12 KiB) Viewed 275 times

shinnosuke
Liberty Supporter

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Mar 13, 2019

Hey Doc, I got just one question:
Are you still married?

Because if you are, you're growing the wrong dad-blamed thing. You need to clone your wife and sell the copies. You got a patient, understanding, sweet, charitable lady living with you and it's high time for you to capitalize on your good fortune. I get a 10% commission for the idea, naturally. Giant pumpkins, for heaven's sake.

Rodebaugh
Jester

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Mar 13, 2019

Doug....truer words never spoken my friend. lol

Return to “Burgers and Beers”