Fitness tracker advice?

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
MaxGravy
Site Admin

Fitness tracker advice?

Postby MaxGravy » Sat Nov 03, 2018

Splunky wants to get a fitness tracker. Any suggestions? What to buy? What not to buy?
I'm clearly not very bright.

RookieStacker

Re: Fitness tracker advice?

Postby RookieStacker » Sat Nov 03, 2018

FitBits are good if you want to track 24/7. Don't get the fancier ones until she's sure she wants to wear a bracelet 24/7.

silverhoarder3
Gold Supporter

Postby silverhoarder3 » Sat Nov 03, 2018

Most of the ladies at my work wear the Fitbit Charge 2.
ImageImageImage

RLNcoinbuyer
Turtle Supporter

Postby RLNcoinbuyer » Sat Nov 03, 2018

If all she wants is a fitness tracker, I’d go with the Fitbit Charge. I switched over to an Apple Watch 18 months ago and like it more than I thought I would. You can do more with the Apple Watch but it isn’t as good as a fitness tracker versus Fitbit in my opinion.
ImageImage Image

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Postby MaxGravy » Sat Nov 03, 2018

RLNcoinbuyer wrote:If all she wants is a fitness tracker, I’d go with the Fitbit Charge. I switched over to an Apple Watch 18 months ago and like it more than I thought I would. You can do more with the Apple Watch but it isn’t as good as a fitness tracker versus Fitbit in my opinion.

I got an Apple watch this week and that's what inspired her to get a fitness band. She wants something thin and light. Looks like a Fitbit Charge 2 or 3 is a good choice. She's researching them now.

Thanks for all the tips! :thumbup:

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

Postby bigjohn » Sat Nov 03, 2018

+1 on Fitbit charge 2. I had it and loved it. Upgraded to Apple Watch and am even happier :)
OPEN A COINBASE ACCOUNT AND BOTH OF US WILL GET $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec

ImageImage Image

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Sat Nov 03, 2018

Exercise more, eat less. It's all fitbit among the coaches at the high school. They compete with each other on who gets the most steps in a day.
“Rationality belongs to the cool observer, but because of the stupidity of the average man, he follows not reason, but faith, and the naive faith requires necessary illusion and emotionally potent oversimplifications which are provided by the myth-maker to keep ordinary person on course.”

― Reinhold Niebuhr, Moral Man and Immoral Society: Study in Ethics and Politics

everything

Postby everything » Sun Nov 04, 2018

I recently added a new badge by hitting 35,000 steps in a day, big whoop and I don't compete. Buy one that is rugged and durable if your into manual labor stuff. Make sure your getting one with an easy return policy, consider an extended warranty if the reviews are poor or the warranty sucks. Buy one that has been out long enough that it has reviews. It is like wearing a collar or watch. If you don't like wearing a watch you may not like wearing it, but like the dog gets used to the collar so it goes. I would not have purchased a charge HR for $60 two years back if I hadn't kept losing the clip ons that you wear on your belt, those of which you can find at garage sales for about a buck which were nice because they didn't need to be recharged.

The only features I want are heart rate and sleep tracking, I don't want another gadget with endless features to play with or gamify my life. Also, it averages your resting heart rate which through fitness will fall, and is a fairly good indicator of over all cardiac health. The apps that go along with them are fairly comprehensive.

I'm hoping to get another year out this charge HR because the new generations are finally going waterproof, I was just looking at the charge 3, lol, predicted ovulation and period tracking, nice. Many features can be turned off, otherwise it starts to feel like a nuisance, and I have all the features turned off including tracking as it will map your whereabouts like your smartphone. It's not like I have anything to hide regarding where I'm going what I'm doing, I don't want others to know either, it's more like .. who cares, I know where I'm going, and what I'm doing, but give me a little privacy here. It's bad enough google is following you around wherever you go if carry a smartphone. Now, if I was going senile or dementia, then yeah maybe that is a feature I could get into. On the other hand, if your into TV drama paranoia crap where the cops are like where where you at this date, and time you can pull up your smartphone and say I can tell you exactly where I was at said time and date, lol. I was looking at possibly the Oura ring, but I don't like wearing rings either.

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Sun Nov 04, 2018

Do they make one that doesn't use a smart phone (or any other phone for that matter) and does, HR, BP, and sleeping/resting HR only or as few bells and whistles as possible? I don't care if it a wrist band, ring or nipple pierce.
“Rationality belongs to the cool observer, but because of the stupidity of the average man, he follows not reason, but faith, and the naive faith requires necessary illusion and emotionally potent oversimplifications which are provided by the myth-maker to keep ordinary person on course.”

― Reinhold Niebuhr, Moral Man and Immoral Society: Study in Ethics and Politics

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Postby MaxGravy » Sun Nov 04, 2018

She chose the Fitbit Charge 3 through Amazon. It should be here tomorrow. We'll report back after a few days.

RLNcoinbuyer
Turtle Supporter

Postby RLNcoinbuyer » Sun Nov 04, 2018

MaxGravy wrote:She chose the Fitbit Charge 3 through Amazon. It should be here tomorrow. We'll report back after a few days.

I think that is a good choice. :clap: Hope she likes it!
ImageImage Image

Return to “Burgers and Beers”