WiFi signal booster

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
AGhead

WiFi signal booster

Postby AGhead » Sun Oct 28, 2018

I want internet service to my shop. My shop is 300 ft from my my house.
The router is in an upstairs window facing the shop but the signal will not reach.
House and shop are on separate elec. meters but share the same elec transformer on the utility pole.
I've read about some boosters, etc.
Has anyone had success or care to share ideas or options that will help?
Thx in advance.
Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend."

silverhead
Silver Supporter

Re: WiFi signal booster

Postby silverhead » Sun Oct 28, 2018

No experience here, I am sure some one can answer. My cell carrier plan (Sprint) has 10 GB of mobile hot spot included monthly. It works for me when I have cell coverage and it doesn't cost me any extra. No extra equipment to buy or assemble/disassemble or set up. Oh yeah, its also "mobile" :lol:
ImageImageImage

Silversaving
Platinum Supporter

Postby Silversaving » Sun Oct 28, 2018

I'm at work, but i have one at home I had some luck with. It's a directional booster that you aim towards an area you want. I'm pretty sure I got it on Amazon. Used it to go through the floor to basement from opposite side of house

Brand was "hawk" something
ImageSeeking Rodebaugh Serial #'s 9 & 23.

LittleAbner
Silver Supporter

Postby LittleAbner » Sun Oct 28, 2018

Ubiquiti Nanostation

It's like running a cable only without the cable.

Put one station in your house and another in your shop. You'll also need an additional router in the shop.

I've been using some for a number of years with a distance of 600+ feet. They work perfect and trouble free.

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Postby natsb88 » Sun Oct 28, 2018

You could replace the router antenna with a directional antenna pointed at the shop, but your coverage in the house would suffer.

You could add a wireless access point paired with a directional antenna pointed at the shop.

These would help get your internet access to your shop, but won't really help a device in the shop transmit back to your network.

You could run direct burial cat5e or cat6 cable, but that's a lot of work :lol:

You could add a purpose-made long range directional access point to the house, pointed at the shop. Possibly something like this. If you have clear line-of-sight from the house to the shop, one of these at the house set up as an access point and pointed at the shop might be enough to get a decent signal in the shop. If you want to upload stuff from the shop back to the house, then you might need to put a second unit at the shop configured as a client, and connected to a basic access point in the shop.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N2RO63U?_e ... nstacke-20

(EDIT: similar concept to the system LittleAbner posted above)

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Postby MaxGravy » Sun Oct 28, 2018

I have an MSRM in the house to extend about 50 feet and it works fine, but there is a lag which can be frustrating, and a few sites like wells fargo don't work at all. Somehow they sense the proxy. Every situation is going to be different. Buy from Amazon and you can return it if doesn't meet your needs.
I'm clearly not very bright.

everything

Postby everything » Tue Oct 30, 2018

I 2nd the Ubiquiti Nanostation. It's a little learning and playing around to get the bridge setup but it's kind of fun, sounds like the manufacturer has a good help base on it's website. And, once it's done, it's done, and your signal quality is not an issue anymore. How was the wall penetration on this one?, many of these point to points require line of sight especially as distance increases. Ubiquity has other solutions as well that may be cheaper.

LittleAbner
Silver Supporter

Postby LittleAbner » Tue Oct 30, 2018

Here are some links to the units.

My son has a setup with these.
https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-LOCOM5-NanoStation-loco/dp/B004EHSV4W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1540938728&sr=8-3&keywords=nanostation+loco+m5&dpID=21eVO3g97YL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I think these are much the same only 2.4ghz.
https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-NanoStation-locoM2-2-4GHz-Outdoor/dp/B00DCNRTAG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1540938630&sr=8-3&keywords=nanostation+loco+m2&dpID=21s2vy5glSL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I replaced a couple AP w/Directional Parabolic Grid Antennas with a set of NanoBeams in June of 2015 and they have been completely trouble free ever since.
https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Nanobeam-Wireless-Bridge-NBE-M5-16/dp/B00K8OCW1S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540939065&sr=8-1&keywords=NBE-M5-16&dpID=31LK-pY3M5L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

The NanoStations are more compact then the NanoBeam but otherwise work the same. They both use PoE so all you need to do is mount the stations and run CAT5 cable to each one.

Setup vids on youtube will guide you through the process.

Sorry, I'm not so good at hyperlinks. :(

fredzoyt
Spiritual Supporter

Postby fredzoyt » Tue Oct 30, 2018

Good thread. I was needing some info on this myself. Thanks for the suggestions offered.
http://www.the-highway.com/ultimate_questions.html
http://www.gotquestions.org/way-of-salvation.html

Phil. 2:10 so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth,

AGhead

Postby AGhead » Wed Oct 31, 2018

I'm reading about these and watched some utube. I trust all your recommendations. Maybe a more thorough answer would help me as I'm not real savvy to the computer language, abbreviations.

I want internet in my steel shop 300' from house. I want to have full use, netflix and be able to trade stocks, for ex.

I will install one item to my wireless router with a cord and point it out my upstairs window to my shop. right?
Or does item need to be outside window?
Also, what is this item at house called?
Does it need electric connected?

Next, I install another Item in sight line to exterior of my shop, right? Does it need wires and electricity?
If so, what type wire?
Name of this item?

Will I need an Item inside my shop for wireless signal?
If so, what's it called and what wires needed?

Thanks!!!

LittleAbner
Silver Supporter

Postby LittleAbner » Wed Oct 31, 2018

You will install one of the units either inside or outside of your house (outside is better range but inside may be good enough for 300'). This unit will connect to your wireless router/modem with network cable. You will also need to install a PoE (Power over Ethernet) adapter somewhere inline. I think this adapter comes with the units. It will have the network cable from your router/modem plug in one end and the cable to the unit in the other end. It will also have a power cord which gets plugged into a 110volt recpt.

If you are using the top link in my previous post this unit is the Nanostation Loco M5.

The other Nanostation Loco M5 gets installed inside/outside of your shop. You will also need another wireless router in the shop and the Nanostation gets connected to that router the same as in the house (network cable, PoE adapter, etc).

The units are highly directional but can be aligned by sight. There are numerous settings in the software but you should be able to find a youtube vid to walk you through them. When properly setup you will have access to the internet the same as if you're in the house and you can also access other computers in either location.

It's quite possible that you could "throw" the signal from your house to the shop without any additional hardware in your shop but I'm not sure that this would work good.

I'm currently using a setup like the one I described above (with 350' distance) and can confirm that it is consistent and reliable.

Here's a simple illustration of the setup.

AGhead

Postby AGhead » Thu Nov 01, 2018

Thanks Little Abner! Much helpful!

ryobi-cordless-routers-p601-64_1000.jpg
ryobi-cordless-routers-p601-64_1000.jpg (69.42 KiB) Viewed 75 times

This is the only wireless router I can find. :shifty:
Seriously, Thanks.
Any router recommended for 60' open floor plan? Just a cheap Belkin ok, or need better?

LittleAbner
Silver Supporter

Postby LittleAbner » Thu Nov 01, 2018

I'm not up to speed on the latest & greatest wireless routers. I would think that a 60' open area would be workable for most any router.

Return to “Burgers and Beers”