Any IT experts out there?

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
XFactor

Any IT experts out there?

Postby XFactor » Thu Sep 13, 2018

Looking for anyone currently working in IT. I would like to network with a few people to pick some brains and learn new things.

Brick's
Supporter

Re: Any IT experts out there?

Postby Brick's » Thu Sep 13, 2018

Definitely, do not talk to me. I am not your guy.
“Rationality belongs to the cool observer, but because of the stupidity of the average man, he follows not reason, but faith, and the naive faith requires necessary illusion and emotionally potent oversimplifications which are provided by the myth-maker to keep ordinary person on course.”

― Reinhold Niebuhr, Moral Man and Immoral Society: Study in Ethics and Politics

XFactor

Postby XFactor » Thu Sep 13, 2018

Brick's wrote:Definitely, do not talk to me. I am not your guy.

LOL! Thanks for that ;)

everything

Postby everything » Thu Sep 20, 2018

Be more specific about what your interested in

MaryB

Postby MaryB » Thu Sep 20, 2018

IT covers a lot of different skill sets... programming, networking, security, web design...

XFactor

Postby XFactor » Thu Sep 20, 2018

Correct, there are many different facets to IT. I took CCNA along time ago in high school and never did anything with it. Also took some web design classes, never did anything with it. I am currently interested in AWS and am working towards CSAA. Very interested in security and networking.

What are your areas of expertise? I might scroll through this one day and see hey X! I'm a Java programmer or I'm a Azure expert! I would see that and immediately contact you if I had a question at that time on your area of expertise.

silverpv
Gold Supporter

Postby silverpv » Fri Sep 21, 2018

I’m currently workin in aws, Cassandra, and Kafka, among other tech.. mostly cloud native tech now.. feel free to ping me if you have questions.

XFactor

Postby XFactor » Fri Sep 21, 2018

silverpv wrote:I’m currently workin in aws, Cassandra, and Kafka, among other tech.. mostly cloud native tech now.. feel free to ping me if you have questions.

Thank You!

Zugzwang

Postby Zugzwang » Sat Sep 22, 2018

I am/was a programmer. I wrote my first program in 1979 -- on some kind of Wang with a teletype and paper tape storage. :shock: :lol:

About 19 years ago, I learned Oracle SQL and worked with that until last year. I also taught programming fundamentals with Java and Python for about 13 years. Last year I left IT became a user - an inventory manager in a small startup. However, once in IT always in IT, so if anything plugs in and it goes wrong they call me :?

I tried to explain just because I was a programmer that doesn't mean i can fix a printer :roll:

Prolly TMI.

Zz. :kitty:
Image Image Image

If U.S. Dollars were miles, the U.S. national debt could be expressed in light years -- over 3 now, and counting...

jfkwashere

Postby jfkwashere » Sat Sep 22, 2018

Hi, I'm John,
I recently retired from a Tech Director job,so had an overview of a lot of networking and user support, Cisco, MS and EMC storage. Lapsed MCSE and some Cisco certs a long time ago.

I got my ham radio license this spring, does that count?

MaryB

Postby MaryB » Sat Sep 22, 2018

COBOL, RPG/AS400, java... but it has been to many years since I did any programming

Rik Bitter
Gold Jester

Postby Rik Bitter » Sat Sep 22, 2018

I don't know exactly what you're looking for. IT is a huge topic. It's kind of like asking about cars instead of a specific model. My background is in Database Archetecture, (OLTP, OLAP, Data Warehousing) and MPP (massively parralel) databases like Teradata, Redshift and Netezza. I can write you a mean SQL query. If those topics are what interests you, I'd be happy to answer some questions.
*** LOOKING FOR YPS #17 & 18s. Please contact me if you have any for sale.***

ImageImage

XFactor

Postby XFactor » Sun Sep 23, 2018

Thanks for the replies! If I have a question on something you know ill shoot you a message. I'll be taking my AWS CSAA in a couple weeks. And Rik, ill be contacting you ;)

XFactor

Postby XFactor » Wed Dec 05, 2018

I took my AWS CSAA exam. Couldn't pull it off. Any of you guys work with AWS, or AWS certified? I would like to ask for assistance.

Return to “Burgers and Beers”