$250,000.00 cash dilemma, input welcomed

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
Super Stacker PCB
Gold Supporter

Re: $250,000.00 cash dilemma, input welcomed

Postby Super Stacker PCB » Fri Jun 29, 2018

If it’s added bit by bit of time I don’t see it getting flagged. Was this not taxed income to begin with?
Stackin' for the fun of Stackin' 1 oz at a time

ImageImage

Diggin4copper
Kraken Supporter

Postby Diggin4copper » Fri Jun 29, 2018

I don’t think it’s cash under the mattress.. I think it’s in the bank..
Outstanding!

AGhead

Postby AGhead » Fri Jun 29, 2018

The money is in cash but not in a bank account. I could not... would not say if it has been taxed.
Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend."

aes1000

Postby aes1000 » Sun Jul 01, 2018

I’d go into high yielding dividend stocks. Not all at once. Maybe 50k every 4-6 months. T, BP, PM, utility stocks, msft, etp, reits

everything

Postby everything » Sun Jul 01, 2018

Since rates are going up, expect the same thing to happen previous times rates have gone up, it will play out the same it always does. American express savings is paying 1.75% right now, which isn't much, but can help squelch the shorting of the fiats. I'm a fan of liquid cash myself. But naive to long term disbursements, I don't blame aging folks, anyone for hiding their cash away because medicares, etc. will TRY to take everything you've got before they'll pay for you.

93 OCTANE
War Eagle Supporter

Postby 93 OCTANE » Sun Jul 01, 2018

You definitely want dividends as a source of income so I'd put a bit in IEP and Ford if shes considering long term investments. Prob put a bit more in SPY and invest about 10% in gold/silver as they have no dividends but are a hedge in disastrous times.
Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid

AGhead

Postby AGhead » Sun Jul 01, 2018

^^ That's a big part of her issue. She worked hard work to get the cash off grid, unaccounted for and off the record.
Everything but the private lending and purchasing PM's would shine light on the stash.
How much value does it lose just keeping it stashed?

iratebob

Postby iratebob » Mon Jul 02, 2018

AGhead wrote:How much value does it lose just keeping it stashed?

Inflation = 2.2% to 3.0% since May 2017 (depends on where you live and what goods and services you include)
https://www.bls.gov/cpi/latest-numbers.htm

So the buying power of $250,000 stashed under a mattress May 2017 is somewhere between $242,500 & 244,500 today.
If you earn 2.2% to 3.0% investing that $250,000 then you break even.

BarsandStars
Turtle Supporter

Postby BarsandStars » Tue Jul 03, 2018

Dodge Charger & Challenger Hellcats in 6MT. Buy em, park em, sell em in 10yrs.
Joining Binance to trade cryptos? Click my referral link below!
www.binance.com/?ref=20981136

everything

Postby everything » Fri Jul 06, 2018

The hellcat is nice, but a few thousand produced yearly. Storage is the thing. The newer electrics are the thing now. The Lamborghini Veneno only produced three, the price went from 4 to 7.5 million. I would go for something with a production of less than 100 if possible and spend the whole wad on just one car, park it in one room in the house and seal it up if possible. But their are many classics from the 90's and up that will be out of production and were low mintage as well. But, I don't know cars that well, as I know how to drive them cheaply. We still get bill of sales, and have to pay sales tax, or register them.

It can be hard to know what to do with money, the figure remains the same but buys less over time. So, we go for tangibles that rise some or hold up. It seems, government doesn't want us to lock our money up in any way they can't somehow know what's going on with it.

AGhead

Postby AGhead » Sat Jul 07, 2018

Purple and Gold wrote:Retire. Today.

At 50 yo, in USA, what would decent health ins cost if needed?
Other cost of living should be covered till age 62 when SSI could start.?

We've read Mexico has really good and cheap medical trtmt & Dollars stretch further there.
Is there a decent, safe part of Mexico, or South America to retire in, with nice moderate climate?

So many other foreign places to retire that dollar stretches further. Some citizenship is complicated.

Anyone experiencing foreign location retirement? Any suggestions, with nice year around climate

CaptainW
Platinum Supporter

Postby CaptainW » Sun Jul 08, 2018

AGhead wrote:

We've read Mexico has really good and cheap medical trtmt & Dollars stretch further there.
Is there a decent, safe part of Mexico, or South America to retire in, with nice moderate climate?

So many other foreign places to retire that dollar stretches further. Some citizenship is complicated.

Anyone experiencing foreign location retirement? Any suggestions, with nice year around climate

Colombia is my current first choice for when/if I repatriate. The big cities offer everything you could want. And it’s cheap! And they have a solid healthcare structure that ranks ahead of the US last time I looked. It’s so cheap that you don’t need insurance for everyday things. A visit to the doctor costs less than $20. You can have a live in nurse for $400 a month.
Medellin’ and Bogata are large modern cities with affordable housing and food is dirt cheap.
They have two or three visa options. The easiest one Is the retirement visa. I think you need only $1500 a month in income (pension, 401k, or just savings) for a retirement visa. They simply want to know that you can pay your own way (what a concept, eh?). I’ve been there twice for recon and I love it.
For someone with significant money, I think the island of Tortola in BVI is great. Hong Kong is pretty sweet as well. English is the primary language for latter two so that’s a bonus. Most places in central or South America, you’ll need to learn Spanish. One more neat place is Chile’. Just a lot further away from the states. I know someone that lives there and he loves it. Best advice is to research and see which places offer a lot of what you’re looking for. Having a second citizenship is nice and each country has their own rules. Tortola is on the extreme end. They require 20 years of residency before they will make you a citizen. OTOH, there are a few places you can “buy” citizenship.

everything

Postby everything » Mon Jul 09, 2018

Columbia, go for it. http://www.expatexchange.com/ctryguide/ ... n-Colombia

Find a girl to marry in foreign country with a top ten health care system. My gfriend in Norway is naive to the world, she says oh we just go to the doctor when we need to, she doesn't even know what health insurance and deductibles are, she naively wants to move here because the gas is cheap and she can travel all around the states. Her country also has pretty much the lowest corruption you will ever find in a government. They grew their sovereign wealth fund (more or less SS fund), from 250 million to a trillion in 22 years. I want to retire/move there, people are happier and live longer. I'll be going to stay with her for a couple of weeks soon, if I could abandon U.S. health care system altogether she can have whatever she wants as long as I still get my condo in Alaska. Other guys I know marry a South American type so she can handle communications. I know a few who have purchased homes in Mexico, health care is good, some people I know, KNOW it's the closest fastest place to go when your bleeding and western doctors are rubbing their hands together going yeah we gonna just cut that part out soon vs. diagnosing you up on that common food borne bacterial illness eating through your gut wall, instead of getting you better, those in the know who are not beyond rich but smart enough leave the U.S. for health care, just like some corporations that are self insuring send their employees out of the country. The outcomes are better.

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Mon Jul 09, 2018

AGhead wrote:

Thats the thing. Retire or semi retire before you work yourself into the ground ( or an early grave) and have to give your hard earned $ to the doctors to try to fix you ( so you can keep working) :|
Companies want you to work until you die. It happened to my father, Worked his whole life at Shell Chemical and he died at 65 and never saw a dime from his retirement or SS :x
You'd be surprised on how little money you can live on. I know someone who lives comfortably on a $12K a year pension and pays no income taxes at all. It comes down to what is really important to you.
$250K = almost $2000 a month until she is 62. It can easily be done, good luck to her.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Burgers and Beers”