That "other" hobby of mine/yours.

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
Walkabout

Re: That "other" hobby of mine/yours.

Postby Walkabout » Thu May 24, 2018

Hunting

BotanicusRex
Supporter

Postby BotanicusRex » Fri May 25, 2018

Sports cars in another life (MG-TF, MGA, XKE, 280ZX, 911, FF SCCA racing)... still involved in local region but no longer behind the wheel.

Hobby greenhouse... grow (or attempt to grow) tropical plants - orchids mainly, bromeliads, etc. No, not that... yet.
"You have a choice between the natural stability of gold, and the honesty and intelligence of the members of government. Vote for Gold."........ George Bernard Shaw

agnostic
BS Supporter

Postby agnostic » Fri May 25, 2018

BotanicusRex wrote:Sports cars in another life (MG-TF, MGA, XKE, 280ZX, 911, FF SCCA racing)... still involved in local region but no longer behind the wheel.

Hobby greenhouse... grow (or attempt to grow) tropical plants - orchids mainly, bromeliads, etc. No, not that... yet.

I've dabbled in a little of "that". Sure is fun! :duck:
"Back in '82 I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile" --Uncle Rico
"I refuse to embrace schizophrenia as a survival mechanism."

BotanicusRex
Supporter

Postby BotanicusRex » Fri May 25, 2018

agnostic wrote:
I've dabbled in a little of "that". Sure is fun! :duck:

Another couple of years and our backwoods legislators should catch up with the rest of the world. No sense risking it. I've been visited by the local gendarmes because my sodium vapor lights light up the whole fluffing neighborhood :roll: . They were "just curious" you know... and with a sniffer dog back in their squad. :lol:
"You have a choice between the natural stability of gold, and the honesty and intelligence of the members of government. Vote for Gold."........ George Bernard Shaw

smackvay
Gold Supporter

Postby smackvay » Fri May 25, 2018

rktect wrote:
smackvay wrote:
silverpoint wrote:motorcycles , harley 's right now but thinking of adding an indian.also tuna fishing whenever ,wherever.

I forgot about riding in my earlier post. I have a couple scooters.

Mike

My Harley has been in the garage all winter so I forget to add it too. :shock:

2016 Road King.

2010 ultra limited 103” rineharts and a 7 color paint job
2015 Street glide
Help support bullionstacker by becoming a supporting member!!!
pm me for details or click on the support Bullionstacker button to the left
WVU Fan, just ask and I will tell you!!!!!

Rik Bitter
Gold Jester

Postby Rik Bitter » Fri May 25, 2018

Like a lot of others here I like campling, shooting sports and doin' DIY stuff around the house when I'm not brooding over the hoard. I'm also really into antique electronics, pretty much any thing with vacuum tubes. (except for TVs) Let's face it, AC is for pussies. Real men like to fiddle around with several hundred volts of DC. Unlike that wishy-washy AC stuff, DC current only flows in one direction. Makes it a bit more dangerous to deal with, but I live for danger! (not really)

Oh yeah, When I wanna hang out with the cool kids, I like toolin around on my Sportster 1200 too.
*** LOOKING FOR YPS #17 & 18s. Please contact me if you have any for sale.***

ImageImage

silverpv
Gold Supporter

Postby silverpv » Sun May 27, 2018

I like to do triathlons when I’m healthy, shooting sports, gym rat, volunteering (teaching kids tech), also a regular volunteer for CERT (community emergency response), might be picking up the HAM radio license. I would also include crypto as a hobby and making little devices. Used to be into R/C but not anymore!

Rik Bitter
Gold Jester

Postby Rik Bitter » Wed Sep 05, 2018

Some people collect things, I collect hobbies. When you croak your things pass on to others, but you get to take your knowledge and skills with you.

I've been taking some informal lessons on wood turning from a local craftsman, and I'm really enjoying it. I haven't taken the plunge and bought a proper lathe yet, but I'm thinking about it. (and watching craigslist) For my first project, I used wood from a huge limb that broke off one of the beech trees I have on my property. The tree apparently has some issues as I noticed some rot near the base of the limb. Normally a woodworker wouldn't be interested in wood that is beginning to degrade, but to wood turners that stuff is prized because of the spalting (a kind of fungus) that colors the grain of the wood. The wood was reasonably fresh so the moisture content was very high. The first picture is the roughed out bowl. This was set aside for several weeks so it could dry out for the final shaping/finishing. (second picture) I also tried my hand at some spindle work too but I didn't make anything in particular, I was just trying to practice skills like coves and beads.

*** LOOKING FOR YPS #17 & 18s. Please contact me if you have any for sale.***

ImageImage

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Wed Sep 05, 2018

Nice work. It would look even better when its full of PM's
ImageImageImage

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

Postby bigjohn » Wed Sep 05, 2018

That’s awesome!!
OPEN A COINBASE ACCOUNT AND BOTH OF US WILL GET $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec

ImageImage Image

RLNcoinbuyer
Turtle Supporter

Postby RLNcoinbuyer » Wed Sep 05, 2018

That is really nice! Awesome work :thumbup:
ImageImage Image

RookieStacker

Postby RookieStacker » Wed Sep 05, 2018

cigar rings, over 7k+ since I was 5

spacemanx

Postby spacemanx » Wed Sep 05, 2018

my hobbies /things to keep me busy are family, camping, tending to our hobby farm (chickens,garden, sheep)

pitw
Gold Supporter

Postby pitw » Wed Sep 05, 2018

Rik Bitter wrote:Some people collect things, I collect hobbies. When you croak your things pass on to others, but you get to take your knowledge and skills with you.

I've been taking some informal lessons on wood turning from a local craftsman, and I'm really enjoying it. I haven't taken the plunge and bought a proper lathe yet, but I'm thinking about it.

When you do you can make critter calls. :thumbup: Coyote being my favorite and that would be my favorite hobby, coyote calling. :wave:

lucky43113

Postby lucky43113 » Wed Sep 05, 2018

Antique glass pre 1915. And radioactive uranium glass
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.---Benjamin Franklin

Image Image Image

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

Postby bigjohn » Wed Sep 05, 2018

RookieStacker wrote:cigar rings, over 7k+ since I was 5

Do you smoke cigars as well or just collect bands?
OPEN A COINBASE ACCOUNT AND BOTH OF US WILL GET $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec

ImageImage Image

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Wed Sep 05, 2018

Good God, just realized I don't have any other hobbies except reading; I've got to get a life.
“Rationality belongs to the cool observer, but because of the stupidity of the average man, he follows not reason, but faith, and the naive faith requires necessary illusion and emotionally potent oversimplifications which are provided by the myth-maker to keep ordinary person on course.”

― Reinhold Niebuhr, Moral Man and Immoral Society: Study in Ethics and Politics

BarsandStars
Turtle Supporter

Postby BarsandStars » Wed Sep 05, 2018

Aside from Selling coins, fishing and hunting, my real passion is digging up pieces of history. Whether it's in the dirt or in the surf, I love to find old coins, jewelry and relics with my metal detector.
We have property in the Catskills that was owned by a man who fought in the war of 1812 and was buried across the road in an empty field. While detecting the property one day, I dug a coat button from a War of 1812 Artillery uniform :shock: That's one of my favorite finds. Another cool old military find was from the town I lived a good portion of my life in here in CT. It dates to the 1600's and had a Militia group that defended the town. That group trained in a certain gigantic field that I researched and detected. I found a uniform pin that was traced back to that militia group.

Here's a tiny sample. I've got bins full of old relics, silver coins, thousands of wheat cents, etc. Among this handful are: My oldest coin so far (1730 King George II Half Penny), my oldest silver (1782 Spanish Real), 1787 Connecticut Copper, 1797, 1818, 1848 US Large Cents, 1865 2 Cent Piece, 1849 Seated Liberty Half Dime, 1823/22 Capped Bust Dime, William McKinley and Herbert Hoover Campaign tokens
a.jpg
a.jpg (600.04 KiB) Viewed 126 times

b.jpg
b.jpg (648.77 KiB) Viewed 126 times

c.jpg
c.jpg (116.16 KiB) Viewed 126 times
Joining Binance to trade cryptos? Click my referral link below!
www.binance.com/?ref=20981136

Tractor Man
Gold Supporter

Postby Tractor Man » Wed Sep 05, 2018

BarsandStars wrote:Aside from Selling coins, fishing and hunting, my real passion is digging up pieces of history. Whether it's in the dirt or in the surf, I love to find old coins, jewelry and relics with my metal detector.
We have property in the Catskills that was owned by a man who fought in the war of 1812 and was buried across the road in an empty field. While detecting the property one day, I dug a coat button from a War of 1812 Artillery uniform :shock: That's one of my favorite finds. Another cool old military find was from the town I lived a good portion of my life in here in CT. It dates to the 1600's and had a Militia group that defended the town. That group trained in a certain gigantic field that I researched and detected. I found a uniform pin that was traced back to that militia group.

Here's a tiny sample. I've got bins full of old relics, silver coins, thousands of wheat cents, etc. Among this handful are: My oldest coin so far (1730 King George II Half Penny), my oldest silver (1782 Spanish Real), 1787 Connecticut Copper, 1797, 1818, 1848 US Large Cents, 1865 2 Cent Piece, 1849 Seated Liberty Half Dime, 1823/22 Capped Bust Dime, William McKinley and Herbert Hoover Campaign tokens

Very cool! You have found some amazing stuff! I would love to have a sterling wine cup like your's, you didn't dig that up did you?
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. Charles Bukowski
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire

Image Image Image

recyclersteve

Postby recyclersteve » Wed Sep 05, 2018

To the original poster- you said you are looking for a complete set of Liberty nickels in MS-64 ob. I'm working on a set too, but mine are different. I want sharp XF/AU coins and they MUST have full sharp stars all the way around on the obverse. I've seen slabbed MS-65's that don't have sharp stars because nickel is such a difficult metal to work with. I remember getting a gorgeous 1894 (tough date) with a super sharp strike at a coin show. The next day the coin was stolen from my car, and I haven't seen another one like that since.

Another hobby: Travel- have been to all 50 states (many 3 times or more), driven on every interstate highway in the country and been to all 6 inhabited continents. I've had the travel bug for decades.

Another hobby: Scrapping. I like finding stuff that others throw away and reusing it, giving it to Goodwill, or just selling it for scrap. It is not a hobby where it is easy to make money, but keeping stuff from hitting the landfill gives me a real sense of satisfaction. My daughter just started her senior year in college and needed a bunch of furniture for the house she lives in. Thankfully, we were able to find a bunch of what she wanted sitting by the curb. A chair needed a wheel to be added and another piece of furniture needed to be spray painted. But we saved a lot of money.

Repurposing something is also a neat thing to do. We had a neighbor who threw away his swing set. He was nice enough to cut the metal into pieces. We took some of those pieces and used them to erect a barrier to keep rabbits out of our garden. We strung chicken wire along those metal pieces from the swing set and it has worked like a charm.

I guess you could say my bucket list includes a bucket of brass, a bucket of copper, etc. (bad joke)

Return to “Burgers and Beers”