Trying to eat healthy

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
Brick's
Supporter

Re: Trying to eat healthy

Postby Brick's » Wed Jan 03, 2018

Down with the Bloody Big Head Monsanto!

jfkwashere

Postby jfkwashere » Wed Jan 03, 2018

spincity wrote:Here is a good artical on glyphosate:
https://www.ecowatch.com/monsanto-glyph ... 30379.html

Thanks, good article. So far this is the best place I've found for organic flour. Also thinking about trying the sprouted grains. While there is always something whack with our food supply, this is my effort trying to improve mine. Bread.

jfkwashere

Postby jfkwashere » Wed Jan 03, 2018

And get ya' a ticket to a Neil Young concert!

MaryB

Postby MaryB » Wed Jan 03, 2018

I buy organic old variety wheat and grind my own flour with one of these http://retsel.com/store/product_info.ph ... a52efb18d1 nice arm workout!

My beef is grass fed organic locally raised, I buy 1/4 beef once a year and fill the freezer. Getting 1/2 a hog soon as i have freezer space, again locally raised old breed organic. Both run about $3.29/lb delivered to my front door!

French fries? Maybe twice a month when I am in town...

Lots of salad and raw veg...

and I am still fat LOL homebrew beer...

Use organic cider vinegar for salads, it still has the "mother" in it s it is a probiotic powerhouse.

DRP270
Site Admin

Postby DRP270 » Wed Jan 03, 2018

I have been trying to do better. I added a salad, does that count?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, I am looking to reduce carbs and such and will be looking to this thread for tips. I do not believe in New Years resolutions because I feel if you want to make a change you do it then. Waiting for a day seems to help set up failure. My desire to change actually started in December but with the holiday period (and other life events) I have managed only a 1 pound loss. It is a start.
ImageImageImage

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Wed Jan 03, 2018

Please, everyone, don't go this far:

Food-safety expert warns latest bizarre Silicon Valley $60 'raw water' trend could quickly turn deadly

http://www.businessinsider.com/silicon- ... dly-2018-1

I had to read the article to find out what "raw water" is (untreated in any way). It's scary what can be found in it, such as animal feces, and diseases we don't even remember (Giardia?).

My favorite line from the article:

"You can't stop consenting adults from being stupid," Marler said. "But we should at least try."
Democracy Dies in Darkness

silverhead
Silver Supporter

Postby silverhead » Wed Jan 03, 2018

DRP270 wrote:I have been trying to do better. I added a salad, does that count?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, I am looking to reduce carbs and such and will be looking to this thread for tips. I do not believe in New Years resolutions because I feel if you want to make a change you do it then. Waiting for a day seems to help set up failure. My desire to change actually started in December but with the holiday period (and other life events) I have managed only a 1 pound loss. It is a start.

Looks like Red Lobster, where's the Chedar Bay biscuits? :lol:
ImageImageImage

grantwoodisgold

Postby grantwoodisgold » Thu Jan 04, 2018

Engineer wrote:
MaryB wrote:I buy organic old variety wheat and grind my own flour with one of these http://retsel.com/store/product_info.ph ... a52efb18d1 nice arm workout!

My beef is grass fed organic locally raised, I buy 1/4 beef once a year and fill the freezer. Getting 1/2 a hog soon as i have freezer space, again locally raised old breed organic. Both run about $3.29/lb delivered to my front door!

Use organic cider vinegar for salads, it still has the "mother" in it s it is a probiotic powerhouse.

I paid about the same for a grass fed quarter cow this year. It tastes LOTS better than the feedlot stuff in grocery stores, and $10/lb for grass fed at a health food store is ridiculous.

that's a crazy good price for grass fed, we usually by an 1/8 of a calf at a time for $7.50/lb delivered
"SAUSAGE FLAVORED MEAT PELLETS, GRADE D BUT EDIBLE"
"Better 1 or 2 years early than 1 day late"

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Thu Jan 04, 2018

Looks like you have a Sauer System for Mason Jars. Obviously, you like it otherwise you would have something different?

And with the incompressible sammich sized Ziplock bags with water, the Kimchi stays down in the brine? I like it, cheap and effective. No need for a fermenting weight or gate.

The one that allows me a little space in her bed loves Kimchi. Gives her really bad farts though. Whatever keeps her happy.

Ordered the book from our local library system. Will likely order a Sauer System pending your positive reply to my Q above. Thanks in advance, Marcus.

twoten01

Postby twoten01 » Thu Jan 04, 2018

Engineer wrote:
MaryB wrote:I buy organic old variety wheat and grind my own flour with one of these http://retsel.com/store/product_info.ph ... a52efb18d1 nice arm workout!

I paid about the same for a grass fed quarter cow this year. It tastes LOTS better than the feedlot stuff in grocery stores, and $10/lb for grass fed at a health food store is ridiculous.

Wow you two have it good. well over $10 a lb here in NY. and that's straight from the farm the organic stores probably charge $20. is it possible to buy from your farms? do they ship?
Looking for pcgs ms61 $2.50 Gold Indians (have 1908, 1915)

Bham

Postby Bham » Thu Jan 04, 2018

twoten01 wrote:
Engineer wrote:

Wow you two have it good. well over $10 a lb here in NY. and that's straight from the farm the organic stores probably charge $20. is it possible to buy from your farms? do they ship?

I’ve long thought of doing this. May I ask what part of the country you you are in with reference to 3.29/lb? Also, do they separate different cuts?
ImageImageImage

MaryB

Postby MaryB » Thu Jan 04, 2018

SW MN...

Search for farm to table in your area then start making phones calls. I was on a waiting list with this rancher for over a year before they had a slot open up.

everything

Postby everything » Mon Jan 08, 2018

Eat plants. It can be difficult to source good clean plants that were grown in good dirt with limited chemicals. Grow your own, done best in season, then freeze, or preserve. Freezing may not last if the power goes out, some canned goods will last for years. I was just at my market last Saturday and spent $30 just on greens alone, I spend about $40-50 a week on organic plant foods. Meat is cheap, properly raised, not so much, I was surprised how easily I gave up eggs as well. I still eat meat, just considerably less. Even seaweed is an incredible food source if you know how to eat/prepare it. Bread - yech.. I even tried bread I was getting roundup free wheat bread, actually I love it, but it's like sandpaper going through my gut, I've eaten a lifetime of bread, wheat is in everything, watch the documentary "whats with wheat"

Once the mycoses, or mycotoxins get into your gut life becomes hell pretty fast so keep your gut healthy, really. Work hard, eat properly, keep your liver clean, it is your main methylation pathway or detox pathway for your body. Clean water, you want at the very least a carbon filter, then reverse osmosis, spring water from deep aquifers is good too.

If you want a heart healthy diet right now, right this minute, try the fasting mimicking diet, it just might save your life, and ward off those stents, you get a stent you get it for life. Research on your own why do the french eat tons of fat and don't have heart disease like the U.S. reveratrol/quercetin, work the vascular health and you can avoid heart disease our #1 killer. And, yes those ferments are right on friend, right on, foods are the best source of probiotics you can find, also pickles, miso, kraut, kimchi, yogurt, ACV, kombucha, kefir, tempeh, soft aged cheese, anything rotten like that is edible. This is why dogs would bury their bones, he's fermenting his bone for probiotics.
nutritionfacts.org

Return to “Burgers and Beers”