Hurricane IRMA........

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
mnymgr1

Hurricane IRMA........

Postby mnymgr1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017

Figured we could start up a new topic on this hurricane, looks to be a monster and headed straight for Florida.
Tracks North after hitting FL, running up the East coast now, but I'm not sure what probability they place on that right now.

I know we have several Florida members including mtforpar, xfactor, iwant2beu and others I'm sure I'm forgetting.
I hope those directly in the path have already finished packing up the important stuff and ready to go. I've already seen highway shots and those are fairly crowded days before the actual storm. Broward County has a formal evacuation notice from the governor.

from Weatherunderground.......
https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/ ... icane-irma

Good luck to you guys down there.
Newbie Guidelines ---> viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5335
www.cashbackmonitor.com to find the best cashback %
'EC' stands for Engelhard Corporation

Brick's
Supporter

Re: Hurricane IRMA........

Postby Brick's » Wed Sep 06, 2017

I was thinking the same but figured I wasn't the right person to start the thread. Here comes the one-two punch courtesy of mother nature. And she sure seems really pissed off to me.

Any of you members in the path and get hit hard, don't hesitate to tell us of your needs so we can have the opportunity to assist.

XFactor

Postby XFactor » Wed Sep 06, 2017

Thanks for starting this, I'm in Broward and you cant get water food fuel or even plywood for windows. Total mess here, northbound lanes on major roads are bumper to bumper. Lets see how it goes!

silverhoarder3
Gold Supporter

Postby silverhoarder3 » Wed Sep 06, 2017

Water and bread GONE at local grocery stores.
ImageImageImage

mnymgr1

Postby mnymgr1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017

just read the ZH story about Barbuda island (sp?).
nothing much left, 90% of buildings.
I hope all of you Floridians have packed up All of your really important stuff by now, ready to go.
I know you guys down there know the important stuff to bring during a bug out,,, unlike me in '13. I failed to move our mini safe with all our paperwork upstairs....lol....but I did save $20 paintings that my wife hated for years. Did I save the $300 Dyson....no ! But I did save boxes of VCR tapes, electric cords of all types, etc, etc, all of which have been thrown out since. :lol: My coin / bullion collection underwater, now that hurt, but I got most of the premium stuff upstairs before that got ruined. Obviously, knowing what to save is a huge help in times like those.

My future home when I get out of this bankrupt state of IL is still looking Nevada-ish. Can't imagine living on a coast at all and while TX was on my short list, I'm still loving the idea of a desert with a normal looking home (made of concrete able to withstand anything, almost no rain :angel: ).

Silversaving

Postby Silversaving » Thu Sep 07, 2017

Praying for the best for all of you in the path of this. Man what a year.

SilverGOP

Postby SilverGOP » Thu Sep 07, 2017

Looking at the future tracks for Irma, it's gonna hit near the GA/SC border as a Class Two Monday night, and head straight north. Our Georgian and Carolinian members need to be taking note and getting ready NOW.

The bulk of the predictive paths on weather.com have Irma just off the Florida shore and going up into the Carolinas. Some tracks have her going out into the Atlantic. A particularly nasty track runs right thru Cuba and then heads north thru the Western Gulf up thru NW Florida and into Georgia. I had even seen, earlier, when Irma was still a 1, a track that went all the way thru the Gulf and hitting Texas. Seemingly, though, at this time, that particular piece of nastiness does not appear to be in the future.

"If you talk the talk, walk the walk."

KI7CIL, General Class

silvergop@cox.net

MasterBlaster
Silver Supporter

Postby MasterBlaster » Thu Sep 07, 2017

weather channel meteorologist said last night that Irma can take any course at any time, he said it could follow the US and European models, it could turn right, left or make a U-turn. He said it's very unpredictable to forecast a hurricanes' path. I guess he CHA (covered his azz) ;)
ImageImageImage

Fusion

Postby Fusion » Thu Sep 07, 2017

MasterBlaster wrote:weather channel meteorologist said last night that Irma can take any course at any time, he said it could follow the US and European models, it could turn right, left or make a U-turn. He said it's very unpredictable to forecast a hurricanes' path. I guess he CHA (covered his azz) ;)

Absolutely agree here. But it any case I hope you're safe Master B. And you have all the supplies you need. Wherever she goes this bitch Irma is going to do a lot of damage. Report say the winds were so strong it broke measuring instruments and ripped turf from its roots the winds were so powerful. That's insane.
Guns kill people the same way pencils misspell wurds.

ImageImageImage

MasterBlaster
Silver Supporter

Postby MasterBlaster » Thu Sep 07, 2017

Fusion wrote:
MasterBlaster wrote:weather channel meteorologist said last night that Irma can take any course at any time, he said it could follow the US and European models, it could turn right, left or make a U-turn. He said it's very unpredictable to forecast a hurricanes' path. I guess he CHA (covered his azz) ;)

Absolutely agree here. But it any case I hope you're safe Master B. And you have all the supplies you need. Wherever she goes this bitch Irma is going to do a lot of damage. Report say the winds were so strong it broke measuring instruments and ripped turf from its roots the winds were so powerful. That's insane.

Thanks Brian but we left Florida 5/16 moving back to NH...prayers go out to those who are still residents of Texas & Florida.
ImageImageImage

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Thu Sep 07, 2017

What is amazing to me is how Irma has continued on a steady WNW course for the past 2-3 days, with no deviation in course or forward speed. Looks like another 2 days of this heading and shes going to pass through the Florida Straights and on into the Gulf. Moving 16 mph is quick movement for a large storm and thats a good thing.

Hunker Down
ImageImageImage

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Thu Sep 07, 2017

Most of the models have it turning north before the Gulf.
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Purple and Gold

jcz1 wrote:Most of the models have it turning north before the Gulf.

Its sad that someone will get the brunt of this and I hope it does a U Turn for everyone's sake. That 90 degree Gulf water is a fuel source just looking for an ignition source

Wow Barbuda and Antigua may get it again
ImageImageImage

Purple and Gold

5 PM hurricane model has been shifted a little to the west , still heading WNW @ 16 :?
The satellite images of Irma are impressive
ImageImageImage

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Thu Sep 07, 2017

I saw on the news tonight some people streaming into a huge shelter in Miami. Maybe someone who lives down there knows - how sure are they that these shelters aren't going to be destroyed in 150 MPH winds?

It looked like every building in Barbuda (sp?) had its roof ripped off at the least, so I fear this could happen to the shelter too.
Democracy Dies in Darkness

mnymgr1

Postby mnymgr1 » Thu Sep 07, 2017

no one should be in any building in all of Miami with 150+ mph winds.
if winds stayed closer to 200mph, nearly impossible to fight off the storm without concrete buildings for an hour or two duration. I wonder how some of those older high rise buildings were built, in terms of hurricane strength wind.
I did see somewhere that they expect the category to drop to 4 by the time it reaches Florida, at least one bit of positive news.

I've heard from 2 of our FL members, one is gone with his family, the other has decided to stay but I forget if he was in Miami/Broward County, or elsewhere. My own family on Gulf side of FL are already gone, to TN I believe.

joefro
Site Tech

Postby joefro » Fri Sep 08, 2017

In 10 years of living in Houston I have never evacuated a storm, but if I lived in Florida I would be running from Irma.

silverhead
Silver Supporter

Postby silverhead » Fri Sep 08, 2017

joefro wrote:In 10 years of living in Houston I have never evacuated a storm, but if I lived in Florida I would be running from Irma.

If it was me, I would have already been on a plane to some place high and dry like Denver :lol: you don't mess with Mother Nature
ImageImageImage

RookieStacker

Postby RookieStacker » Fri Sep 08, 2017

I'm south of St. Augustine. Due to my job I'm mandated to stay. I have already sent wife & kids north to friends in WV.

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Fri Sep 08, 2017

Dont look now but parts of Alabama and Northern Miss are inside the cone.
I heard from a friend that some international flights out of Florida are cheaper and more available than domestic, if anyone needs to get out of Dodge.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Burgers and Beers”