The Tailgate - Sports Central

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
Tractor Man
Gold Supporter

Re: The Tailgate - Sports Central

Postby Tractor Man » Mon Sep 17, 2018

Tractor Man wrote:
jcz1 wrote:
Tractor Man wrote:
jcz1 wrote:For Nats fans, this is all we have left (after demolishing any hope the Phillies had left!) ... rooting for players for Cy Young (Max, 3rd straight) and Rookie of the Year (Juan Soto, the only teenager in MLB history with 3 multi-homer games).

Could be, but I'm guessing DeGrom and Acuna for those 2 awards.

The Braves-Nats series is basically a place for the two ROTY choices to show their stuff against each other. Acuna won Friday night, with 4 hits and nearly hitting for the cycle, but Soto hit his 20th HR, closing in on the all-time record for a teenager. He's way ahead of everyone in teenage walks since 1900.

Today, Soto became the first teenager to steal 3 bases since 1900. He extended his on-base streak to 20 consecutive games to join Hall of Famers Mel Ott and Mickey Mantle as the only teenagers to do so. Acuna scored the only Braves run in their 7-1 loss, thanks to 14 (!) walks by the Braves pitchers.

Soto's season has been very impressive. It's not called the Teenager of the Year award, it's the ROY not the TOY. :lol:

I see I made a rather flippant response to your post. I apologize for that. I was sitting here tonight watching Cards-Braves, so I thought I'd really take a look. Here's the stat that seals it for me:

On Base Pct
Acuna = .368
Soto = .421

368 is a very good OBP, but anything over 400 is considered elite. 421 is 4th in baseball this year, behind only Trout, Betts and Votto. That's elite-level plate discipline regardless of age. Soto would get my ROY vote, if I had one.

*and he's only 19! :lol:
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. Charles Bukowski
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire

Image Image Image

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Tue Sep 18, 2018

Tractor Man wrote:
Tractor Man wrote:
jcz1 wrote:
Tractor Man wrote:
jcz1 wrote:For Nats fans, this is all we have left (after demolishing any hope the Phillies had left!) ... rooting for players for Cy Young (Max, 3rd straight) and Rookie of the Year (Juan Soto, the only teenager in MLB history with 3 multi-homer games).

Could be, but I'm guessing DeGrom and Acuna for those 2 awards.

The Braves-Nats series is basically a place for the two ROTY choices to show their stuff against each other. Acuna won Friday night, with 4 hits and nearly hitting for the cycle, but Soto hit his 20th HR, closing in on the all-time record for a teenager. He's way ahead of everyone in teenage walks since 1900.

Today, Soto became the first teenager to steal 3 bases since 1900. He extended his on-base streak to 20 consecutive games to join Hall of Famers Mel Ott and Mickey Mantle as the only teenagers to do so. Acuna scored the only Braves run in their 7-1 loss, thanks to 14 (!) walks by the Braves pitchers.

Soto's season has been very impressive. It's not called the Teenager of the Year award, it's the ROY not the TOY. :lol:

I see I made a rather flippant response to your post. I apologize for that. I was sitting here tonight watching Cards-Braves, so I thought I'd really take a look. Here's the stat that seals it for me:

On Base Pct
Acuna = .368
Soto = .421

368 is a very good OBP, but anything over 400 is considered elite. 421 is 4th in baseball this year, behind only Trout, Betts and Votto. That's elite-level plate discipline regardless of age. Soto would get my ROY vote, if I had one.

*and he's only 19! :lol:

If I'm being honest, we need to look at the OBP more closely. Their BA is within about 6 points; the reason Soto's OBP is so much higher is the number of walks. And that is directly attributable to the surrounding players.

Soto hits around 5th or 6th in the order, typically followed by Zimmerman. They can pitch carefully to Soto because for a while, Zim wasn't hitting. Then when Zim started heating up, they traded Daniel Murphy, and after Zim is 3 easy outs.

There's only ever been 1 good hitter in the following 3 or 4 hitters after Soto. But Acuna leads off for the Braves, with 4 or more dangerous hitters directly behind him, so he gets pitched to much more often.

Tractor Man
Gold Supporter

Postby Tractor Man » Tue Sep 18, 2018

Right on, I hear ya. I don't watch enough Nats to know that. The metrics can never tell the full story.

Still ... 421 ... that's huge. And it stands to reason that there is, well, a REASON they pitch around him. That's a lot of respect for any rookie, which would be another positive in his favor, if I had a vote.

BTW, I like Jack Flaherty (higher WAR than Soto) (Cards are my team). He'll finish a distant 3rd.
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. Charles Bukowski

Image Image Image

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Wed Sep 19, 2018

The Patriots have been replaced as Super Bowl favorites

The Patriots have finally been knocked off their perch as Super Bowl favorites. Las Vegas updated its Super Bowl odds after Week 2, and we have a new team at the top. And, no, it's not the team that actually beat New England on Sunday.

Your new favorite is … the Los Angeles Rams!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/th ... spartandhp
There are more ways than one to skin a cat.

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Thu Sep 20, 2018

Historic night for the Cleveland Browns. Won their first regular season game since Dec 2016. Late in the 2nd quarter the Browns were down and out losing 14-0 to the Jets... Baker Mayfield comes in the game and with Jarvis (Geaux Tigers) Landry's help lead the Browns to victory. :clap:

The Free Beer Fridge is open, Dilly Dilly!
Last edited by Purple and Gold on Fri Sep 21, 2018, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Silversaving
Platinum Supporter

Postby Silversaving » Fri Sep 21, 2018

That game was one of the ugliest I've seen to start. But man, when Mayfield finally came in....you could see the team come to life. Can't wait to see how they do over the season now.
ImageSeeking Rodebaugh Serial #'s 9 & 23.

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Fri Sep 21, 2018

Silversaving wrote:That game was one of the ugliest I've seen to start. But man, when Mayfield finally came in....you could see the team come to life. Can't wait to see how they do over the season now.

:thumbup: It was amazing to see Mayfield come in hot. The crowd was so happy. Jarvis threw a left handed pass to Mayfield for a 2 pt conversion to tie the game. I thought Michael Irving was going to cry :lol:
I watched how they played the Saints last week and just knew they would win this week, even on a short week
ImageImageImage

trapperrick
Gold Supporter

Postby trapperrick » Fri Sep 21, 2018

Purple and Gold wrote:
Silversaving wrote:That game was one of the ugliest I've seen to start. But man, when Mayfield finally came in....you could see the team come to life. Can't wait to see how they do over the season now.

:thumbup: It was amazing to see Mayfield come in hot. The crowd was so happy. Jarvis threw a left handed pass to Mayfield for a 2 pt conversion to tie the game. I thought Michael Irving was going to cry :lol:
I watched how they played the Saints last week and just knew they would win this week, even on a short week

I see on the BS Pick'em game that the majority picked the Browns as well including me. :thumbup:
I had that feeling as well that the Browns were due.

As for the other upcoming games this weekend, the other "garaunteed win" I see is the offensive jugernaught that is Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers beating up on my Pittsburgh Steelers. The Steelers are a train wrecking into a dumpster fire with a discontended offense and a defense that couldn't stop a mediocre Junior High Football Team.
“I, Franklin D Roosevelt…do declare that said national emergency still continues to exist and…do hereby prohibit the hoarding of gold…”

EXECUTIVE ORDER 6102, issued by US president Franklin Delano Roosevelt on April 5th 1933, banned private gold ownership .

ZIPS5000
Gold Supporter

Postby ZIPS5000 » Fri Sep 21, 2018

The crazy thing is the browns could easily be 3-0 this season if Gonzalez didnt blow all the kicks in the first 2 games. 4 field goals and 2 extra points I think it was.

Super Stacker PCB
Gold Supporter

Postby Super Stacker PCB » Fri Sep 21, 2018

6366DA3A-46E2-44BD-9B26-0FE294713F10.jpeg
6366DA3A-46E2-44BD-9B26-0FE294713F10.jpeg (61.77 KiB) Viewed 421 times

Are we sure Ryan Fitzpatrick isn’t a clone of Connor McGregor :lol: He looks like a bushy bearded McGregor to me.

438C60CD-176A-452E-9A6D-9DC9F7FF1D39.jpeg
438C60CD-176A-452E-9A6D-9DC9F7FF1D39.jpeg (209.93 KiB) Viewed 421 times
Stackin' for the fun of Stackin' 1 oz at a time

ImageImage

BarsandStars
Turtle Supporter

Postby BarsandStars » Fri Sep 21, 2018

Hahaha I fell asleep around halftime thinking "jets are gonna blow this game"

Sure enough i wake up to see the Jets of old are doing what they do best; LOSE!

Did anyone see the bar celebrations on TV afterwards where they gave out all the free budlight? There was a woman who bit a hole in a beer and shotgunned it on live TV. The local news guy this morning showed the video, then said "that woman legit scares me" :clap:
Joining Binance to trade cryptos? Click my referral link below!
www.binance.com/?ref=20981136

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Sun Sep 23, 2018

ODU has only had a football team since 2009, but they took down 13th ranked Va Tech! :clap:

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Sun Sep 23, 2018

trapperrick wrote:
Purple and Gold wrote:
trapperrick wrote:
Purple and Gold wrote:I dont know who this ESPN woman NFL game commentator is but she is mono-toned and wont shut up :lol:
I sure hope this is not how MNF will be this year :cry: Really messes up the MNF experience

Honestly, I had to switch over to the Spanish broadcast :|

:lol: :lol:

I had to look it up via Google. The announcers name is Beth Mowins is the play by play announcer and Brian Greise is doing color. They are as good as the Lions offense which really sucks.

Well is she at least hot?? :) Bad move to put her on play by play. Her Yankee accent is not music to my ears, and if i hear her say "yerds" one more time im going to bed :lol:

Well, for a 51 year old woman she looks good but no Erin Andrews.

This lady was doing the play by play on the Kentucky game last night and i think im starting to like her cute little accent :? My new favorite word of hers is " cherge"
I think im in love
ImageImageImage

trapperrick
Gold Supporter

Postby trapperrick » Sun Sep 23, 2018

Interesting set of games in the NFL today.
Got 10 right on my BS pickem so far despite the upsets.
“I, Franklin D Roosevelt…do declare that said national emergency still continues to exist and…do hereby prohibit the hoarding of gold…”

EXECUTIVE ORDER 6102, issued by US president Franklin Delano Roosevelt on April 5th 1933, banned private gold ownership .

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Mon Sep 24, 2018

Brady, Patriots searching for answers after another loss

Brady was held to 133 yards passing Sunday night, part of an abysmal performance by the Patriots in a 26-10 loss to previously winless Detroit. New England barely mustered 200 yards of total offense, and Brady spent most of the game on the sideline as the Lions ran up a huge advantage in time of possession.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/bra ... oss-092418

:pop:

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Tue Sep 25, 2018

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Tue Sep 25, 2018

Cy Young news ... Max became the first Nats pitcher to notch 300 strikeouts. Rockies fans were rooting for his K's tonight, under the theory that he won't pitch against them if he hits that mark.

If that is true, and he is done for the season, he breaks the record of lowest number of hits (150) given up by a 300-K pitcher. (previous record: 158)

Tractor Man
Gold Supporter

Postby Tractor Man » Wed Sep 26, 2018

jcz1 wrote:Cy Young news ... Max became the first Nats pitcher to notch 300 strikeouts. Rockies fans were rooting for his K's tonight, under the theory that he won't pitch against them if he hits that mark.

If that is true, and he is done for the season, he breaks the record of lowest number of hits (150) given up by a 300-K pitcher. (previous record: 158)

And Cards fans were hoping he wouldn't get there tonight! :lol:

Image Image Image

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Fri Sep 28, 2018

Tractor Man wrote:
jcz1 wrote:Cy Young news ... Max became the first Nats pitcher to notch 300 strikeouts. Rockies fans were rooting for his K's tonight, under the theory that he won't pitch against them if he hits that mark.

And Cards fans were hoping he wouldn't get there tonight! :lol:

News ... Max said that if the game means something, he will pitch on Sunday, for the integrity of the game. :clap:

The Rockies can clinch a playoff spot with a victory tonight, but they of course want to win the division (not sure how many wins they need for that). They have never won a division title.

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Sat Sep 29, 2018

Return to “Burgers and Beers”