The Tailgate - Sports Central

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
Purple and Gold

Re: The Tailgate - Sports Central

Postby Purple and Gold » Thu Oct 19, 2017

They were saying that today is a Sports Equinox, with football, baseball, hockey and basketball all being played tonight.
It has only happened 17 times in sports history, hard to believe :shock:
ImageImageImage

MasterBlaster
Silver Supporter

Postby MasterBlaster » Thu Oct 19, 2017

Purple and Gold wrote:They were saying that today is a Sports Equinox, with football, baseball, hockey and basketball all being played tonight.
It has only happened 17 times in sports history, hard to believe :shock:

Trump's fault! Oops wrong thread :shh:
ImageImageImage

Kutzy
Turtle Supporter

Postby Kutzy » Thu Oct 19, 2017

Cubs on the downside of their Icarus story
I accept payment through Dwolla, PPG, check or money order. Accommodation available for international orders as well.

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Fri Oct 20, 2017

Aaron Judge is 6-7, 280 lbs. Jose Altuve is ... not. :lol:
Last edited by jcz1 on Sat Oct 21, 2017, edited 2 times in total.
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Tractor Man
Gold Supporter

Postby Tractor Man » Fri Oct 20, 2017

jcz1 wrote:Aaron Judge is 5-7, 280 lbs. Jose Altuve is ... not. :lol:

I'm going to call your Judge claim fake news. I believe the Altuve claim is about half right. :lol:
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. - Charles Bukowski

Image Image Image

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Sat Oct 21, 2017

Tractor Man wrote:
jcz1 wrote:Aaron Judge is 5-7, 280 lbs. Jose Altuve is ... not. :lol:

I'm going to call your Judge claim fake news. I believe the Altuve claim is about half right. :lol:

Corrected. Works much better when I use Judge's height rather than Altuve's. :oops:

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Postby natsb88 » Sat Oct 21, 2017

Nice start for Penn State :D

Honestcoins

Postby Honestcoins » Sun Oct 22, 2017

Penn st looks like a team that can beat Alabama.
Personal Ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/honestcoin
See something there you like? PM me, I'll be happy to work a no-fee deal.

In search of Zombucks Silver Walkers.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Sun Oct 22, 2017

Honestcoins wrote:Penn st looks like a team that can beat Alabama.

They must get through the Big 10 first... Ohio St... then the Conference Championship game against... Wisconsin?

Then we'll talk about Alabama.

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Sun Oct 22, 2017

Joe Thomas, offensive tackle for the Browns, had a streak of consecutive snaps ended today. An incredible number, especially considering the ease of injury at this position: 10,363 snaps (11 year career).

(Actually, he played through injuries, such as an LCL tear in the final game of 2012, according to SI.)

I could find no info in a quick search if this is the NFL record, but I have to think it is.

Kutzy
Turtle Supporter

Postby Kutzy » Sun Oct 22, 2017

It is... it's a legendary record at that
I accept payment through Dwolla, PPG, check or money order. Accommodation available for international orders as well.

MasterBlaster
Silver Supporter

Postby MasterBlaster » Sun Oct 22, 2017

Who in the NFC is going to face NE in the SB? I thought GB was a lock until Roger's injury...
ImageImageImage

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Tue Oct 24, 2017

Charlottesville and UVa tell the KKK where they can stick it:

University of Virginia officials introduced Carla Williams as the school’s new athletic director Monday afternoon, installing her as the first African American woman to hold such a position among schools in the Power Five conferences.

Williams most recently served as Georgia’s deputy athletic director and follows in the footsteps of Craig Littlepage, the first African American athletic director in ACC history upon his hiring at Virginia in 2001.

She was also a top administrator for football at Georgia, and we can use all the help we can get in that sport. :lol:

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Wed Oct 25, 2017

MasterBlaster wrote:Who in the NFC is going to face NE in the SB? I thought GB was a lock until Roger's injury...

Nawlins Saints :shh:
ImageImageImage

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Wed Oct 25, 2017

MasterBlaster wrote:Who in the NFC is going to face NE in the SB? I thought GB was a lock until Roger's injury...

Eagles. :o

MasterBlaster
Silver Supporter

Postby MasterBlaster » Wed Oct 25, 2017

jcz1 wrote:

Eagles. :o

Eagles look good so far, let's see how they progress...
ImageImageImage

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Wed Oct 25, 2017

Husband of Ely, MN’s Jessica Biel to perform at Super Bowl

The NFL has chosen to honor one of Minnesota’s greatest exports, Ely-born Jessica Biel, by announcing that her husband will be performing at the Super Bowl 52 halftime show in Minneapolis next February.

For months, we people of the Bold North have been speculating about how the league would celebrate our unique character. The nod to Biel, who tops IMDB’s list of “Most Popular People Born in Ely/ Minnesota /USA,” is a nice touch.

True, Biel’s family moved to a lesser state when she was young, but once a Minnesotan, always a Minnesotan. Also, she bought a Valentine’s Day card from a store on Nicollet as recently as 2014.

Though he’s known for dating non-Minnesotan stars such as Britney Spears and Cameron Diaz before he was lucky enough to wed an Iron Range gal, Biel’s husband Justin Timberlake isn’t just celebrity arm candy. He has an acting career (yes, that was him providing the voice of Boo Boo in the 2010 film Yogi Bear), and anyone who's performed with both Jimmy Fallon and the Black Eyed Peas clearly must have some singing talent -- or at least a great agent.

http://www.citypages.com/music/husband- ... /452363233

Tractor Man
Gold Supporter

Postby Tractor Man » Thu Oct 26, 2017

jcz1 wrote:Husband of Ely, MN’s Jessica Biel to perform at Super Bowl

The NFL has chosen to honor one of Minnesota’s greatest exports, Ely-born Jessica Biel, by announcing that her husband will be performing at the Super Bowl 52 halftime show in Minneapolis next February.

For months, we people of the Bold North have been speculating about how the league would celebrate our unique character. The nod to Biel, who tops IMDB’s list of “Most Popular People Born in Ely/ Minnesota /USA,” is a nice touch.

True, Biel’s family moved to a lesser state when she was young, but once a Minnesotan, always a Minnesotan. Also, she bought a Valentine’s Day card from a store on Nicollet as recently as 2014.

Though he’s known for dating non-Minnesotan stars such as Britney Spears and Cameron Diaz before he was lucky enough to wed an Iron Range gal, Biel’s husband Justin Timberlake isn’t just celebrity arm candy. He has an acting career (yes, that was him providing the voice of Boo Boo in the 2010 film Yogi Bear), and anyone who's performed with both Jimmy Fallon and the Black Eyed Peas clearly must have some singing talent -- or at least a great agent.

Really? This topic used to be about actual sports stuff until you showed up. :roll:

Getting back to sports ... how about that WS game? Wow! Epic back and forth in extras!
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. - Charles Bukowski

Image Image Image

Blue Angel
WFTW Supporter

Postby Blue Angel » Thu Oct 26, 2017

Yessir, pretty exciting times for us Astros fans here in the Houston area. About time their bats woke up in the post season.

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017

Tractor Man wrote:
jcz1 wrote:Husband of Ely, MN’s Jessica Biel to perform at Super Bowl

Really? This topic used to be about actual sports stuff until you showed up. :roll:

If you think my post is off-topic, you can report it. If a mod agrees, it will be moved or removed; if not, it won't.

Or ... you can get a sense of humor, and realize that the article cited was about the Super Bowl (sports!) and was supposed to be funny. :roll:

Getting back to sports, here's an interesting discussion of last night's game in the context of the new advanced stats dictating strategy, which one team followed while the other did not:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/a ... d76d9a628d

Return to “Burgers and Beers”