Any Vegetarians here?

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Re: Any Vegetarians here?

Postby tdtwedt » Tue Jan 22, 2019

How Beyond Meat became a $550 million brand, winning over meat-eaters with a vegan burger that 'bleeds'

Plant-based "meat" producer Beyond Meat is betting on it: The company is taking on the beef burger with Beyond Burger, a vegan veggie-based patty that is meant to look, cook, taste and even "bleed" like red meat, but that is healthier and more sustainable.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/21/how-bil ... aters.html
There are more ways than one to skin a cat.

everything

Postby everything » Wed Jan 23, 2019

Some developments. I attended a health summit called eat4earth.org and learned a little more about toxicity of plants. Besides soil depletion (lack of minerals/vitamins), plants will uptake heavy metals, and anything blown in and gets into the soil. Since the green revolution of the 60's we went monoculturing, so many of our plants are grown in depleted of minerals dirt, and with chemicals, synthetic fertilizers are where the nutrients come from most often.

Pro tip: Vitamins don't work/absorb well without minerals!

Again, I won't eat anything retailed at a grocery store that went through processing. That food better be in its original form with no additive of any kind whatsoever or it's not eaten by me. Extra work, looking for small growers who compost instead of fertilize but it's worth it. Growing your own, testing your soil, preserving, freezing, drying, also work. I think I was able to finally find some oatmeal that is glyphosate free, but I can't be 100% on that, it had bugs in it, that's a good sign. I always look for the bugs, or bug sign, that's one way to tell a plant doesn't have chemicals applied to it.

EWG is a good resource to research your foods and waters. Here is an example of one of our most poisonous plants that we feed our people.
https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/strawberries.php

And, I found some of the best meat I have ever had this last year, just by getting pickier, and pickier, just don't eat much of them. Organ meats are very high in demand in organic circles, the bones can be too as hipsters are into bone broth now. A good book is Sally Fallones Nourishing Broth. I make big batches of it in two gallon pots, then freeze it. Another secret is meat broth, I can get a cow heart for cheap from my Amish friends, I don't want to deal with eating it so I cook it down, and make broth/stock out of it.

Don't forget about fermenting your vegetables, very fun, great way to preserve, and get them in season when they taste the best! I also got into growing sprouts this year, sunflower and pea are all I'm doing now but I'd really like to get into the micro green shoots as well. It's a bit of work. Being able to source your own plants, growing them in your own medium and home is absolutely wonderful, and cheap.

Factoid: Blood type A's can do very, very well on a plant based diet, and are also more prone to heart disease than Type O blood types who do better with more meat proteins.

everything

Postby everything » Wed Jan 23, 2019

Here's what's in your beyond meat burger, look at all that processing! enjoy!

The Beyond Burger: pea protein isolate, expeller-pressed canola oil, refined coconut oil, water, yeast extract, maltodextrin, natural flavors, gum arabic, sunflower oil, salt, succinic acid, acetic acid, non-GMO modified food starch, cellulose from bamboo, methylcellulose, potato starch, beet juice extract (for color), ...

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Mon Feb 04, 2019

Vegans are furious at Hyundai for its Super Bowl commercial that bashes vegan dinner parties

Hyundai's Super Bowl ad is infuriating vegans.

The commercial positioned a vegan dinner party, complete with "beetloaf," as a horrific experience on par with a root canal.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ve ... spartandhp

:lol:

iratebob
Platinum Supporter

Postby iratebob » Mon Feb 04, 2019

I'm closer to buying a Hyundai than at any point in my life!

silverhead
Silver Supporter

Postby silverhead » Mon Feb 04, 2019

everything wrote:Here's what's in your beyond meat burger, look at all that processing! enjoy!

The Beyond Burger: pea protein isolate, expeller-pressed canola oil, refined coconut oil, water, yeast extract, maltodextrin, natural flavors, gum arabic, sunflower oil, salt, succinic acid, acetic acid, non-GMO modified food starch, cellulose from bamboo, methylcellulose, potato starch, beet juice extract (for color), ...

I started getting stomach cramps while reading that ingredient list, but not bad enough for me not to eat my ribeye Philly cheesesteak leftovers for lunch today. :lol:
ImageImageImage

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Mon Mar 25, 2019

MaryB

Postby MaryB » Tue Mar 26, 2019

I eat one main meal at "Lunch"(being a night owl that means 6pm), breakfast is a big glass of V8, then a small snack around midnight and bed at 3-4 AM...

I worked 4-mids for years, body is stuck on that schedule...

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Tue Mar 26, 2019

I just had a "garden-burger" at a restaurant lately. My first other than some Indians dishes. It wasn't beef, but it wasn't bad either.
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.
Bitcoin: 1QC9tcPcA5R82CHr61BrkPgdh4fVmcCsgd

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Tue Mar 26, 2019

Bucketeer wrote:I just had a "garden-burger" at a restaurant lately. My first other than some Indians dishes. It wasn't beef, but it wasn't bad either.

It wasn't this one, was it? I doubt that they'd just call it a garden burger, unless they also included the Beyond Meat brand name. It's supposed to be close to the real thing, but it's way too expensive:

https://www.tgifridays.com/menu/burgers ... eeseburger

I just learned that the big competitor, Impossible Foods, will have their Impossible Burger 2.0 in Red Robin burger joints starting April 1. I'm hopeful it is less expensive than the TGIF burger.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Tue Mar 26, 2019

Actually, I had it in a hospital cafeteria. Looks similar, but ???? It was tasty, but it definitely wasn't beef.

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Mon Apr 01, 2019

McDonald's announces Veggie Burger:

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Mon Apr 01, 2019

Okay, the above was an April Fool joke, but this isn't:

Burger King is teaming up with Impossible Burger to create an Impossible Whopper:

http://www.grubstreet.com/2019/04/burge ... urger.html

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Postby natsb88 » Mon Apr 01, 2019

There's a local hoagie shop here that has been serving the Impossible Burger for a while. It seems to get good reviews but I have yet to try it.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Tue Apr 02, 2019

It's just lunch, why not?

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Wed Apr 03, 2019

everything wrote:S<snip> https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/strawberries.php

<snip>, the bones can be too as hipsters are into bone broth now. <snip>.

Ok, your link to the strawberries disgusted me as I always rinse my berries and thought I'd be safe in doing so. Kinda freaked me. So I thought I'd see if I could reciprocate.

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/lead-c ... one-broth/

Fast forward to the last minute. Enjoy.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" Voltaire

fredzoyt
Spiritual Supporter

Postby fredzoyt » Thu Apr 04, 2019

jcz1 wrote:McDonald's announces Veggie Burger:

:lol: :lol:
http://www.the-highway.com/ultimate_questions.html
http://www.gotquestions.org/way-of-salvation.html

Phil. 2:10 so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth,

MaryB

Postby MaryB » Thu Apr 04, 2019

People were pissed when McBarf said that was an April Fools joke! When I worked at one back in the early 80's we had people ask for a burger container of just pickles to take home! Their pickles are different in flavor than any other I have tried...

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Sun Apr 07, 2019

An opinion piece in today's WaPo discussed the meat industry and Impossible Burgers. It quoted Eric Bohl from the Missouri Farm Bureau reporting on his visit to a St. Louis area Burger King, on their Impossible Whopper "If I didn't know what I was eating, I would not have known it was not meat."

The op-ed writer then took his son to a Red Robin, where they ordered identical burgers, one meat and the other not. He said tasting them side-by-side, they could discern an ever-so-slight difference, but they were equal in terms of yummminess and burgerismo.

Hopefully the Burger King test goes well so they take it nationwide.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Mon Apr 08, 2019

Poach a big doe, and grind it up with 30% pork. It's the best burger you'll ever have.

Return to “Burgers and Beers”