Any Vegetarians here?

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
PeacePeople

Re: Any Vegetarians here?

Postby PeacePeople » Thu Aug 27, 2015

Coinfolio wrote:
HustliN wrote:^

yes very sad. Thats why I recommend eating local grass fed beef. As least its not from factory farms that constantly feeds them GMO. Supporting local small farmers is a start to fixing our food system!

I agree it's better to go with the local grass fed beef. Not considering any other factors though, there are not enough of the family farms to even come close to feeding the meat eating population.

That's when price comes into play. The market will usually price that stuff out of the range of a lot of people, add to that those that don't know...and there is plenty for those that are willing and able.
ImageImageImage

scottcped

Postby scottcped » Thu Aug 27, 2015

InfleXion wrote:
MaxGravy wrote:
fredzoyt wrote:All this talk of animal innards is making me hungry for some tripe. :mrgreen: :wave:

So your body isn't a temple? :?

Matthew 15:11 - "What goes into someone's mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them."

The law was abolished when Christ came to die for our sins, because after that salvation was a matter of faith plus works, not strictly works. The law was also an anomaly in the historical timeline. For example, the mark God placed on Cain was to prevent anyone from harming him, not to single him out. Under the law, Cain would not have retained his life. Moses brought the law because people were worshipping false idols and so it was a time of reprimand essentially. As for the pork (and shrimp) thing specifically, it was simply a matter of health in a time when there weren't good refrigeration techniques.

With regard to the Romans passage, it's essentially another version of the one that says if your right hand causes you to sin then cut it off. If something causes you to stumble then avoid it. If it doesn't cause you to stumble, then it's not a problem.

As for me, I haven't met a food I didn't like as long as it's prepared how I like it! Although I'll take the beef pho over the tripe hands down :lol:

Not to get off topic too much, but it is NOT faith plus works. It is faith in Christ as Lord and Savior ALONE. I am fully aware of the HUGE 2,000 year debate on it, which can't be solved here.... or can it in a separate thread???? (Maybe a separate FORUM) As a recovering Catholic, I have edu-ma-cated myself on both sides of the argument, and see how each side in the debate comes to their position.

Cain was not under the law, he was way before the law.
ImageImageImage

fredzoyt
Spiritual Supporter

Postby fredzoyt » Thu Aug 27, 2015

MaxGravy wrote:
fredzoyt wrote:All this talk of animal innards is making me hungry for some tripe. :mrgreen: :wave:

Genesis 1:29
And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food.

Genesis 1:30
And to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the heavens and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so.

Deuteronomy 14:8
And the pig, because it parts the hoof but does not chew the cud, is unclean for you. Their flesh you shall not eat, and their carcasses you shall not touch.

Ezekiel 47:12
And on the banks, on both sides of the river, there will grow all kinds of trees for food. Their leaves will not wither, nor their fruit fail, but they will bear fresh fruit every month, because the water for them flows from the sanctuary. Their fruit will be for food, and their leaves for healing.”

Daniel 1:11-16
11 Daniel then said to the guard whom the chief official had appointed over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah, 12 “Please test your servants for ten days: Give us nothing but vegetables to eat and water to drink. 13 Then compare our appearance with that of the young men who eat the royal food, and treat your servants in accordance with what you see.” 14 So he agreed to this and tested them for ten days.
15 At the end of the ten days they looked healthier and better nourished than any of the young men who ate the royal food. 16 So the guard took away their choice food and the wine they were to drink and gave them vegetables instead.

Romans 14:21
It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause any man to stumble.

Well, of course I was only joking. :) Also you forgot one verse.

1 Tim. 4:3-5 (commanding to abstain from meats), which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

And no you can't interpret the Bible anyway you want. The verses you pointed out are not used in their right context. But I think Inflexion has already addressed that.

scottcped

Postby scottcped » Thu Aug 27, 2015

Anyway, we went from Vegetables to Bibles. Eat the former. Read the latter. :clap:
ImageImageImage

fredzoyt
Spiritual Supporter

Here's a couple more things related to a biblical view of food consumption.

"Does the Bible restrict what foods Christians should eat?

The law that God gave the Israelites goes into great detail regarding what foods they were and were not allowed to eat. Leviticus 11 bans eating the following animals:

- Those that chew cud or have a split hoof but not both (like camels, rabbits, pigs)
- Sea creatures that do not have fins and scales (like crustaceans)
- Birds that eat flesh or carrion (like crows, raptors, sea gulls)
- Most winged insects except those that swarm and jump

In addition, God told Noah not to drink the blood of any animal (Genesis 9:4), and Exodus 34:26 bans boiling a kid goat in its mother's milk. Yeast was banned during the Feast of Unleavened Bread.

Scholars have argued over the reasons for the bans for millennia, but God gives very few explanations. It appears to be part of the ceremonial law which God enacted as a sign that the Jews were different from the surrounding people. This would suggest that the banned foods were used in pagan religious ceremonies. Over the years, in an attempt to maintain the dietary restrictions explicitly, Jewish culture has developed very specific kosher standards. But in Genesis 9:3, God told Noah—a God-follower—"Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you." So what standards should Christians follow?

Christians get their guidance from the New Testament, which highlights which Jewish ceremonial laws we are to keep. The first clue comes in Acts 10:9-16. Peter went to a rooftop to pray and became hungry. He fell into a trance. The sky opened, and a sheet, filled with all kinds of animals, was lowered in front of him. A voice said, "Rise, Peter; kill and eat." But Peter, thinking it was a test, protested, "By no means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean." This happened three times.

The vision was two-sided. In the literal sense, Peter was released from the Jewish dietary law. Christ-followers did not have to keep Jewish ceremonial law because Jesus fulfilled it. In the metaphorical sense, it was one more lesson on how Jesus was for everyone, and the Jewish Christians needed to witness to the Gentiles, as well.

So it is that Christians are not bound by the dietary restrictions in Leviticus 11.

This isn't to say that there are no restrictions in the New Testament. As more and more Gentiles joined the church, church leaders (including the Apostles and Jesus' brother James) needed to figure out which ceremonial laws Gentiles should be bound to and which they were freed from. In the midst of such a discussion (mostly regarding circumcision), church leaders dictated: "But as for the Gentiles who have believed, we have sent a letter with our judgment that they should abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from what has been strangled…" (Acts 21:25). But are these rules for all the church, or were they designed to separate the Greek Christians from their pagan neighbors?

The ban on meat sacrificed to idols actually would have been a hardship for those who lived in cities. Most meat sold at market was already cooked and, in the process, had been dedicated to a pagan god. To reject meat that had been sacrificed might have meant to forgo meat altogether. Paul, adding grace and a touch of reality to the ban, explained in 1 Corinthians 10:27-28 that dedicated meat should only be banned if the believer knew it was dedicated. The purpose of the ban was to show publically that they did not worship idols, not that dedicated meat was supernaturally harmful.

Christians today deal with this issue in certain ways. Meat in India may be offered to a Hindu god. Halal food is dedicated to the god of Islam. Should Christians partake? Like Paul said, if the provider of the meat makes it known that the meat has been dedicated, we should politely decline. If food at a grocery store bears the "halal" seal, we should pray about what God wants us to do. It is the endorsement of the religion that is the problem, not the chicken.

The other restriction was against "blood and from what has been strangled." Strangled animals do not have the blood drained from their bodies, and thus break the restriction God gave Noah. Many foods have blood in them, including black pudding and blood sausage, and some tribes drink blood directly from their cattle. Does this restriction continue for Christians?

There is debate about this but no general consensus. Some Christians believe that Peter's vision releases blood from being restricted. Others say that since the ban on eating blood both pre-dates the Mosaic Law and is repeated in the church age, the ban remains. The mature Christian will, again, pray and see where God leads. Either way, this does not include steaks cooked rare, if the cow was properly butchered beforehand.

In general, Christians are not bound by Jewish dietary restrictions. The New Testament says we should be known for our love (John 13:35), not our meals. Regarding food dedicated to idols, we need to understand the purpose of the ban—to clearly show those around us that we do not worship any god but the True God. As for drinking the blood of animals, since there is no clear guidance, it is a matter of personal conviction and prayer.
http://www.compellingtruth.org/foods.html

"Question: "Was Jesus a vegetarian? Should a Christian be a vegetarian (or vegan)?"

Answer: Jesus was not a vegetarian. The Bible records Jesus eating fish (Luke 24:42-43) and lamb (Luke 22:8-15). Jesus miraculously fed the crowds fish and bread, a strange thing for Him to do if He was a vegetarian (Matthew 14:17-21). In a vision to the apostle Peter, Jesus declared all foods to be clean, including animals (Acts 10:10-15). After the flood in Noah's time, God gave humanity permission to eat meat (Genesis 9:2-3). God has never rescinded this permission.

With that said, there is nothing wrong with a Christian being a vegetarian. The Bible does not command us to eat meat. There is nothing wrong with abstaining from eating meat. What the Bible does say is that we should not force our convictions about this issue on other people or judge them by what they eat or do not eat. Romans 14:2-3 tells us, “One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him.”

Again, God gave humanity permission to eat meat after the flood (Genesis 9:3). In the Old Testament law, the nation of Israel was commanded not to eat certain foods (Leviticus 11:1-47), but there was never a command against eating meat. Jesus declared all foods, including all kinds of meat, to be clean (Mark 7:19). As with anything, each Christian should pray for guidance as to what God would have him/her eat. Whatever we decide to eat is acceptable to God as long as we thank Him for providing it (1 Thessalonians 5:18). “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31)."
http://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-Chris ... arian.html

fredzoyt
Spiritual Supporter

scottcped wrote:Anyway, we went from Vegetables to Bibles. Eat the former. Read the latter. :clap:

Hey, this time I didn't start it. :lol:

InfleXion

Postby InfleXion » Thu Aug 27, 2015

scottcped wrote:
InfleXion wrote:
MaxGravy wrote:

Matthew 15:11 - "What goes into someone's mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them."

The law was abolished when Christ came to die for our sins, because after that salvation was a matter of faith plus works, not strictly works. The law was also an anomaly in the historical timeline. For example, the mark God placed on Cain was to preventanyone from harming him, not to single him out. Under the law, Cain would not have retained his life. Moses brought the law because people were worshipping false idols and so it was a time of reprimand essentially. As for the pork (and shrimp) thing specifically, it was simply a matter of health in a time when there weren't good refrigeration techniques.

With regard to the Romans passage, it's essentially another version of the one that says if your right hand causes you to sin then cut it off. If something causes you to stumble then avoid it. If it doesn't cause you to stumble, then it's not a problem.

As for me, I haven't met a food I didn't like as long as it's prepared how I like it! Although I'll take the beef pho over the tripe hands down :lol:

Not to get off topic too much, but it is NOT faith plus works. It is faith in Christ as Lord and Savior ALONE. I am fully aware of the HUGE 2,000 year debate on it, which can't be solved here.... or can it in a separate thread???? (Maybe a separate FORUM) As a recovering Catholic, I have edu-ma-cated myself on both sides of the argument, and see how each side in the debate comes to their position.

Cain was not under the law, he was way before the law.

As much as I would like to agree with you...

Matthew 7:21-23 - “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Of course only God is qualified to judge us and I would like to think we can take John 3:16 at value.

And yes, Cain was before the law, that was my point. The law of the OT was not the way the it always was before the NT.

Anyway, yes a separate thread would be appropriate. If further discussion ensues I'll make that happen or take it to PM.
Last edited by InfleXion on Thu Aug 27, 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

Be wary of he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

http://search.lores.eu/indexo.htm

fredzoyt
Spiritual Supporter

BTW Randy, catfish is condemned in the OT right along with pig meat. ;)

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Postby MaxGravy » Thu Aug 27, 2015

fredzoyt wrote:BTW Randy, catfish is condemned in the OT right along with pig meat. ;)

But it's tasty and we only eat it occasionally. It's a feast food for us, once every month or so. And as you said, "The Bible records Jesus eating fish (Luke 24:42-43)."

And what about smoking? Is that OK? Cigarettes are 11 times less fatal that eating a diet based on animal products. Heart disease kills far more Americans than cigarettes. You need to be 18 to buy cigarettes but I've never seen anyone asked for ID at McDonalds.

I love you Dave!
ImageImageImage
Don't grow up - it's a trap!

HustliN

Postby HustliN » Thu Aug 27, 2015

Meat is expensive. Well quality cuts are. Thats why when I do by a nice steak I really do enjoy it as a luxury. I normally for regular protein eat local free range eggs ( organic at times but usually non organic free range tastes better!) and chicken. Or other cheaper cuts of beef. Grass feed local beef just tastes wayyyy better. and its the way nature intended :D

Just had some organic corn on the cob for the first time. Bought it from the store and BBQed it. Man best corn I've ever ate in my life!

PeacePeople wrote:
Coinfolio wrote:
HustliN wrote:^

yes very sad. Thats why I recommend eating local grass fed beef. As least its not from factory farms that constantly feeds them GMO. Supporting local small farmers is a start to fixing our food system!

I agree it's better to go with the local grass fed beef. Not considering any other factors though, there are not enough of the family farms to even come close to feeding the meat eating population.

That's when price comes into play. The market will usually price that stuff out of the range of a lot of people, add to that those that don't know...and there is plenty for those that are willing and able.

Engineer
Pirate Jester

Postby Engineer » Thu Aug 27, 2015

My body has always done best on a keto diet (I ate that way decades before ever hearing of it).

Rant of the day: Why do potatoes have to be served with EVERY FLUFFING MEAL? They suck...
The year 2017: Where words and ideas are considered too hateful to be said,
while riots and assault are considered too peaceful to be prosecuted.

fredzoyt
Spiritual Supporter

Engineer wrote:
Rant of the day: Why do potatoes have to be served with EVERY FLUFFING MEAL? They suck...

I'm with you there. I like potatoes, but they're offered way too much. Gimme some greens over potatoes any day of the week.

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Postby MaxGravy » Thu Aug 27, 2015

ImageImageImage
Don't grow up - it's a trap!

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Thu Aug 27, 2015

Democracy Dies in Darkness

MaryB

Postby MaryB » Thu Aug 27, 2015

I eat locally raised grass fed beef, locally raised free range chickens, and locally raised pork. My cholesterol is low and I am mid 50's. BP is up a touch but to be expected with age.

MaxGravy wrote:
fredzoyt wrote:BTW Randy, catfish is condemned in the OT right along with pig meat. ;)

But it's tasty and we only eat it occasionally. It's a feast food for us, once every month or so. And as you said, "The Bible records Jesus eating fish (Luke 24:42-43)."

And what about smoking? Is that OK? Cigarettes are 11 times less fatal that eating a diet based on animal products. Heart disease kills far more Americans than cigarettes. You need to be 18 to buy cigarettes but I've never seen anyone asked for ID at McDonalds.

I love you Dave!

b4/Vj()z
Gold Jester

Postby b4/Vj()z » Thu Aug 27, 2015

No vegetarians here at all; they all died from starvation.
:pop:
Socialism – ideas so good, they have to be mandatory
Image ImageImage
Image Image

93 OCTANE
War Eagle Supporter

Postby 93 OCTANE » Thu Aug 27, 2015

First World problems
Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017

VEGETARIAN DIETS CAN REDUCE HEART DISEASE RISK BY ALMOST 50 PERCENT COMPARED TO EATING MEAT

Scientists looked at five different dietary plans to determine which cut heart failure risk the most: convenience (including fast food and pasta), plant-based, sweets, Southern (which included sweet beverages and fried foods) and alcohol/salads. People who consumed mostly produce decreased their risk of heart failure by 42 percent, according to a release, compared to those who ate less fruits and vegetables.

http://www.newsweek.com/foods-your-hear ... ure-709894

So glad they added this part: "The other plans weren't associated with better health." No, really?

It would have been better if they used more normal, non-veggie diets. "Sweets" is not a dietary plan. And what the heck is an "alcohol/salads" diet anyway?
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Walkabout

Postby Walkabout » Tue Nov 14, 2017

I actually kill animals and eat them. Nothin wrong with that.

Return to “Burgers and Beers”