BS Banter-For the drivel that belongs no where

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Re: BS Banter-For the drivel that belongs no where

Postby SilverDoge » Sat Dec 23, 2017

Engineer wrote:When you hear Walmart workers and taxi drivers raving about bitcoin, is it time to sell?

Perhaps I need to make one of those flowcharts showing when a person should buy or sell bitcoin. We seem to get this type of question a lot.

PeacePeople

Postby PeacePeople » Sat Dec 23, 2017

Was driving down I-17 last night when I saw this thing in the sky....no clue what it was until I got to Tucson to find out...I watched it from start to finish...it's not a missle...it's a space launch..and the people on the freeway really need to be smarter if they see something like this.

ImageImageImage

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Sat Dec 23, 2017

Bulletproof Graphene: Paper-Thin Material Becomes Harder Than Diamonds On Impact

Graphene has revolutionized material science. This super-tight sheet of Carbon atoms is thinner than a sheet of paper but has some amazing physical properties, and researchers are trying to figure out all the possible applications of this highly versatile material.

Now they have come up with one that can save millions of lives.

A team of scientists at Advanced Science Research Centre at the City University of New York has created a bullet-proof suit material with graphene that becomes harder than diamond on impact from any fast moving or heavy object.

Researchers from the have layered sheets of graphene to create a material that has this unique property. The team used this to make a bullet-proof suit that becomes a diamond plate on your body when a bullet touches it, effectively making anyone who wears it as close to Superman as a normal man can get.

This material, thinner than Aluminum foil, has been named diamene. The material switches immediately on impact, making it a foolproof way to stop even the fastest, most powerful bullets immediately.

http://www.ibtimes.com/bulletproof-grap ... ct-2632473
Democracy Dies in Darkness

AuAgJohn

Postby AuAgJohn » Sun Dec 24, 2017

Chinese company is developing facial recognition for organic chickens

Thanks to blockchain technology being developed by Chinese insurance tech company ZhongAn Online, people will soon be able to use facial-recognition technology to track organically farmed chickens they’ve pre-purchased.

https://qz.com/1158236/the-gogo-chicken-program-in-china-is-adding-poultry-to-the-blockchain-with-facial-recognition/

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Mon Dec 25, 2017

Topless woman tries to steal Jesus at St. Peter's Square :lol:

Funny part is I only missed it by a day. I was there at that exact site yesterday. Win some, lose some. ;)

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-christmas-season-femen-vatican/topless-femen-activist-tries-to-snatch-jesus-statue-from-vatican-crib-idUSKBN1EJ0O2

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

Postby bigjohn » Wed Dec 27, 2017

I was just watching an old episode of pawn stars, which is still one of my favorite shows LOL. A guy brought in 18 silver bars he wanted to sell. He was offered spot price for them, which was $37.50 at a time :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
He got greedy thinking that he should be paid more as there has to be some collectible value (there wasn’t, they were crappy commemorative bars). He left without taking the deal.
I just had to laugh because he probably still has them today except they’re worth less than half now :lol:
LOOKING FOR YPS #12 BARS TO COMPLETE A COLLECTION!!! PM ME IF YOU HAVE ANY - I HAVE YOUR REPLACEMENT READY OR CAN BUY OUT RIGHT.

ImageImage Image

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Postby MaxGravy » Wed Dec 27, 2017

bigjohn wrote:I was just watching an old episode of pawn stars, which is still one of my favorite shows LOL. A guy brought in 18 silver bars he wanted to sell. He was offered spot price for them, which was $37.50 at a time :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
He got greedy thinking that he should be paid more as there has to be some collectible value (there wasn’t, they were crappy commemorative bars). He left without taking the deal.
I just had to laugh because he probably still has them today except they’re worth less than half now :lol:

One of my favorites as well, even though I know a lot of it is staged. We have every episode in our itunes library, including both seasons of their game show Pawnography, which is actually pretty good.
ImageImageImage
Don't grow up - it's a trap!

Preludedude

Postby Preludedude » Wed Dec 27, 2017

MaxGravy wrote:
bigjohn wrote:I was just watching an old episode of pawn stars, which is still one of my favorite shows LOL. A guy brought in 18 silver bars he wanted to sell. He was offered spot price for them, which was $37.50 at a time :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

One of my favorites as well, even though I know a lot of it is staged. We have every episode in our itunes library, including both seasons of their game show Pawnography, which is actually pretty good.

you mean "all" :)

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

Postby bigjohn » Wed Dec 27, 2017

MaxGravy wrote:

I visit the shop every time I’m in Vegas and own several of their special label NGC coins as well as the old man coin :shifty:
I realize that it’s staged, as any reality TV show is, but it’s staged to be pretty close to the real thing ( it’s still real people bringing real stuff except now the producers screen ahead of time and only invite people that have items they think would be most interesting in the show). I love learning about various pieces from around the world
LOOKING FOR YPS #12 BARS TO COMPLETE A COLLECTION!!! PM ME IF YOU HAVE ANY - I HAVE YOUR REPLACEMENT READY OR CAN BUY OUT RIGHT.

ImageImage Image

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Wed Dec 27, 2017

NASA wants to send a spacecraft to explore Alpha Centauri

Alpha Centauri, a star system located more than four light-years from Earth, has caught NASA’s eye in a big way. A Jet Propulsion Laboratory team wants to send a spacecraft to explore the system, though it will take decades to get all the groundwork in place. The exploration, should it actually happen, would take place around the Apollo II mission’s 100th anniversary in 2069.
The project, at least as it is currently imagined, will involve studying the exoplanet Proxima b specifically, doing so in the search for signs of life beyond our own planet. NASA is tasked with developing technology that can travel at a tenth of the speed of light, which means it’ll take about 44 years for this mission’s future spacecraft to simply arrive at its destination.

https://www.slashgear.com/nasa-wants-to ... -27513016/

jcz1

Without using the internet to find the answer, can anyone tell me what this is:

MaxGravy
Site Admin

jcz1 wrote:NASA wants to send a spacecraft to explore Alpha Centauri

Alpha Centauri, a star system located more than four light-years from Earth, has caught NASA’s eye in a big way. A Jet Propulsion Laboratory team wants to send a spacecraft to explore the system, though it will take decades to get all the groundwork in place. The exploration, should it actually happen, would take place around the Apollo II mission’s 100th anniversary in 2069.
The project, at least as it is currently imagined, will involve studying the exoplanet Proxima b specifically, doing so in the search for signs of life beyond our own planet. NASA is tasked with developing technology that can travel at a tenth of the speed of light, which means it’ll take about 44 years for this mission’s future spacecraft to simply arrive at its destination.

18,600 miles/second is pretty ambitious. That's 67 million miles/hour.
ImageImageImage

MaxGravy
Site Admin

jcz1 wrote:Without using the internet to find the answer, can anyone tell me what this is:

It's on the diskette.
ImageImageImage

cmiller17363

Postby cmiller17363 » Wed Dec 27, 2017

MaxGravy wrote:
jcz1 wrote:NASA wants to send a spacecraft to explore Alpha Centauri

18,600 miles/second is pretty ambitious. That's 67 million miles/hour.

1/10th the speed of light...... that's insane.
ImageImage

jcz1

MaxGravy wrote:
jcz1 wrote:Without using the internet to find the answer, can anyone tell me what this is:

It's on the diskette.

Who made what is behind the "floppy" (which wasn't really)?

Tractor Man
Gold Supporter

Postby Tractor Man » Wed Dec 27, 2017

jcz1 wrote:
MaxGravy wrote:

It's on the diskette.

The disk has an apple on it. Too obvious? I'll guess TRS-80.
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. - Charles Bukowski

Image Image Image

jcz1

Tractor Man wrote:
jcz1 wrote:
MaxGravy wrote:

It's on the diskette.

The disk has an apple on it. Too obvious? I'll guess TRS-80.

Dang it, my old eyes missed the apple. :thumbdown:

This is (was) an Apple Lisa, which pre-dated the Mac. It is in the news because the source code to the OS is going to be released for free next year:

https://9to5mac.com/2017/12/27/apple-li ... -released/

And here's an ad for it starring Kevin Costner (before he was Kevin Costner ;) ):

Tractor Man
Gold Supporter

Postby Tractor Man » Wed Dec 27, 2017

Very cool. Just 1 year after that in 1984 I got one of these for Christmas. A TRS-80 Micro Color Computer. Packed with a whopping 4k RAM, and I had the 16k RAM expansion too! Programs written in BASIC stored on an audio cassette. Good times. The best part was the next Spring, as an 8th grade graduation gift, I got a color TV, which made the "Color" part of the computer's name way better! :lol:

The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. - Charles Bukowski

Image Image Image

skylersfriend
Turtle Jester

Postby skylersfriend » Thu Dec 28, 2017

Barely made it back from the airport due to the chaotic traffic.

:shock: :shock:
Attachments
holiday warning.JPG
holiday warning.JPG (61.04 KiB) Viewed 391 times
Don't think of me as a cynic; I am an optimist with experience!

“In finance, everything that is agreeable is unsound and everything that is sound is disagreeable.” Winston Churchill

The year 2017: Where words and ideas are considered too hateful to be said,
while riots and assault are considered too peaceful to be prosecuted.

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Thu Dec 28, 2017

Mum fumes at Toys ‘R’ Us after buying daughter Christmas doll which ‘called her a b***h’

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5219336/d ... mas-bitch/

:grinch:
There are more ways than one to skin a cat.

Return to “Burgers and Beers”