Computer Security

Announcements and Info
RyanEOD
Platinum Site Tech

Computer Security

Postby RyanEOD » Mon Jan 12, 2015

All,

I have received a PM from a member here that got a call from "Microsoft" saying they needed to remote into their PC to update something. THIS IS A SCAM. Do not give them access to your computer. If you already have, PM me and I will do all I can to remote into your PC and help you out as they usually install software that can do anything from remotely control your PC, to record all your keystrokes and send it to them. This could capture your passwords /credit card info / etc... Again, no one from Microsoft will ever call you to get into your PC to work on anything.

I am not mentioning this members name but wanted to post this here for all to read.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

br_ndon

Re: Computer Security

Postby br_ndon » Mon Jan 12, 2015

+1000 :thumbup:

Engineer
Pirate Jester

Postby Engineer » Mon Jan 12, 2015

We get "windows support center" calling the house pretty often. I try to frustrate the fluffies and waste as much of their time as possible.

They're incredibly patient while I take bathroom breaks and talk about the weather. :pop:
The year 2017: Where words and ideas are considered too hateful to be said,
while riots and assault are considered too peaceful to be prosecuted.

rottiesforever
Turtle Supporter

Postby rottiesforever » Mon Jan 12, 2015

Engineer wrote:We get "windows support center" calling the house pretty often. I try to frustrate the fluffies and waste as much of their time as possible.

They're incredibly patient while I take bathroom breaks and talk about the weather. :pop:

Too funny! :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: I have a friend who also does this :thumbup:
Turtles all the way down

Brucifer
Silver Supporter

Postby Brucifer » Mon Jan 12, 2015

If you have the time to do it, wasting as much of their time as possible is definitely the way to go.

DRP270
Site Admin

Postby DRP270 » Mon Jan 12, 2015

Maybe I should do that but I tell them that it is a scam and hang up.
ImageImageImage

Brucifer
Silver Supporter

Postby Brucifer » Mon Jan 12, 2015

They used to plague me. They usually called around the same time on the same day, so I made a point of having a steak in the frig on the big day. I’d broil the steak, nuke a potato and string them along while I was cooking and then eating, with occasional breaks to grab another brew. I paid attention to their presentation and asked well-focused, pertinent questions so the sap who called me thought he had a live one, hung in and did his best job. When I was done eating half an hour later, I told them I couldn’t make up my mind, thanked them for calling and hung up. After around 4 months, they stopped calling. I guess my rep got around the call center and they took me off of their list. They were my Saturday night dinner theatre for an entire winter.

Bill*
Gold Supporter

Postby Bill* » Wed Nov 01, 2017

I got one of those calls last summer. I told them I was unable to help them and the entire I.T. staff was at a meeting with the bosses. I ask for a number so I.T. could call them back after the meeting. They hung up :)

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

Postby bigjohn » Wed Nov 01, 2017

Speaking of computer security. In the past, Microsoft Essential was my go to free anti virus. I’ve heard that they are not nearly as good as they use to be.
What is the best free antivirus?
As I realize that you get what you pay for, a follow up question is, What is the best value antivirus?
Finally, what is the best malware software (I’ve used malwarebytes before but it seems that they no longer have a free version.
LOOKING FOR YPS #12 BARS TO COMPLETE A COLLECTION!!! PM ME IF YOU HAVE ANY - I HAVE YOUR REPLACEMENT READY OR CAN BUY OUT RIGHT.

ImageImage Image

RookieStacker

Postby RookieStacker » Wed Nov 01, 2017

bigjohn wrote:Speaking of computer security. In the past, Microsoft Essential was my go to free anti virus. I’ve heard that they are not nearly as good as they use to be.
As I realize that you get what you pay for, a follow up question is, What is the best value antivirus?
Finally, what is the best malware software (I’ve used malwarebytes before but it seems that they no longer have a free version.

I use MS Essentials & Avira, both free, concurrently for system security. Adguard Adblocker is used on Chrome. Password management is handled by LastPass.

Perimeter security is handled by:

iron-pyrite
Zombie Apocalypse Supporter

Postby iron-pyrite » Wed Nov 01, 2017

bigjohn wrote:Speaking of computer security. In the past, Microsoft Essential was my go to free anti virus. I’ve heard that they are not nearly as good as they use to be.

I think the most for the money is in your own education and training.
ImageImageImage

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Wed Nov 01, 2017

I use Norton Security. Twice in the last 2 months, SlickDeals has posted a deal for $20 for a year of service, covering 5 devices. I just put an alert on Slickdeals, and usually find this price near when my year is up, so I don't think it's a bad deal for peace of mind.

Just don't install the new one until your year is up - they never seem to extend, just start a new 1-year clock. :thumbdown:
Democracy Dies in Darkness

jtl1952

Postby jtl1952 » Sat Nov 04, 2017

We get cybersecurity training at work every year. Mostly what to watch for in emails. Seems like common sense if you're up on the scams that are recent.
Company started sending phishing emails designed for training/testing just last week. I got one that looked like a legit email to me from FedEx, & reported it to IT. I had no reason to expect such an email. One of my co-workers clicked on a link in the same email & got a "you've been spoofed reply", then a follow-up coaching email a few days later.
I also have Norton - free with Comcast internet. Every once in awhile, I get a warning while surfing the web. Seems to protect pretty well.

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Postby MaxGravy » Sat Nov 04, 2017

I just use a mac. :P
ImageImageImage
Don't grow up - it's a trap!

fredzoyt
Spiritual Supporter

Postby fredzoyt » Sat Nov 04, 2017

MaxGravy wrote:I just use a mac. :P

Oh no, here we go. :lol:

Rik Bitter
Gold Jester

Postby Rik Bitter » Sat Nov 04, 2017

fredzoyt wrote:

I run Brave browser on linux so you guys can just have at it.
*** LOOKING FOR YPS #18s. Please contact me if you have any for sale.***

ImageImage

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Sun Nov 05, 2017

I've done both Norton and McAfee and neither worked to satisfaction. Now use Avast and ClamWin. Never had a problem since.

MasterBlaster
Silver Supporter

Postby MasterBlaster » Sun Nov 05, 2017

Malwarebytes still has a FREE version, if you download it you'll get a free 14 day trial for the pay version but it disappears and the FREE kicks in without you having to do anything.
ImageImageImage

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

Postby bigjohn » Sun Nov 05, 2017

MasterBlaster wrote:

Malwarebytes still has a FREE version, if you download it you'll get a free 14 day trial for the pay version but it disappears and the FREE kicks in without you having to do anything.

:thumbup:
LOOKING FOR YPS #12 BARS TO COMPLETE A COLLECTION!!! PM ME IF YOU HAVE ANY - I HAVE YOUR REPLACEMENT READY OR CAN BUY OUT RIGHT.

ImageImage Image

silverpv
Gold Supporter

Postby silverpv » Mon Nov 06, 2017

Rik Bitter wrote:
fredzoyt wrote:

I run Brave browser on linux so you guys can just have at it.

The browser is only one point of entry. Even linux distros have holes in them. Be careful with a false sense of security. Always stay up to date, moreso than relying on being on a linux distro.

Return to “BS News!”