WFTW Annual Event May 3-5, 2013

MaxGravy
Site Admin

WFTW Annual Event May 3-5, 2013

Postby MaxGravy » Wed Apr 24, 2013

5th Annual Wheelers For The Wounded Main Event

Wounded soldiers from Fort Hood, Brooke Army Medical, The Houston VA and all other parts of Texas are brought to this annual event. The event is designed to give back to those that have given so much for this country. Soldiers and their families come to Hidden Falls to participate in a full day of Off Roading. 100's of drivers from all over Texas come and donate their time to take America's Hero's Off Roading.
ImageImageImage
Don't grow up - it's a trap!

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Re: WFTW Annual Event May 3-5

Postby MaxGravy » Wed Apr 24, 2013

Since more than a few of us will be attending the WFTW Annual event this year, let's use this thread is for updates and comments.
ImageImageImage

DRP270
Site Admin

Postby DRP270 » Wed Apr 24, 2013

:cry: But :thumbup: ; you know.
ImageImageImage

Blue Angel
WFTW Supporter

Postby Blue Angel » Wed Apr 24, 2013

Cool!

Been working on my Cherokee to haul the Duck, SA, H2So4, and some wounded around on the trails. I will post up some preparation pics soon. I ordered a locker for the front differential today from 4WheelParts, a major WFTW sponsor. This locker will give the Jeep true 4 wheel drive and believe me....it will do things in the rocks that will amaze you. The rear axle is already locked and it will climb like a mountain goat. I will be wrenching hard on Friday night to make the install.

We take along extra u-joints, RTV sealant, axle grease, spare axles, tire plugs,....some have onboard welders and most have compressed air or Co2 tanks to air tires. We run between 6-8 PSI in the tires to get exceptional grip when on the trails. I bought a brand new spare tire and wheel and a hi-lift jack the other day. GPS charged up, IPOD loaded, new flashlight, Sig Sauer.....yep....we are getting ready.

Silver Addict
Dunce

Postby Silver Addict » Wed Apr 24, 2013

Can't wait!

InfleXion

Postby InfleXion » Thu Apr 25, 2013

Sounds like a great time! A bit far out of my neck of the woods. Keep it up guys. :thumbup:
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

Be wary of he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

http://search.lores.eu/indexo.htm

Blue Angel
WFTW Supporter

Postby Blue Angel » Thu Apr 25, 2013

A 4x4 shop in Lampasas, Texas, held a WFTW fundraiser last weekend. They had BBQ, music, a car crush, auctions, raffles. Some of BA art was auctioned off. :D :D They raised a little over 7K to give to WFTW. The name of the business is TXPRO4x4. http://txpro4x4.com/

One of their hardest workers at the event is a soldier and his wife. This guy came to a WFTW event 2 years ago and then went and bought himself a Jeep after he got well. Now, he is active in WFTW and is going to take out wounded soldiers in HIS rig this year. This is a lot of what we are trying to accomplish here......a self perpetuating involvement to help healing and getting involved.

Kinda gives me goosebumps.... :thumbup:

PeacePeople

Postby PeacePeople » Thu Apr 25, 2013

Blue Angel wrote:A 4x4 shop in Lampasas, Texas, held a WFTW fundraiser last weekend. They had BBQ, music, a car crush, auctions, raffles. Some of BA art was auctioned off. :D :D They raised a little over 7K to give to WFTW. The name of the business is TXPRO4x4. http://txpro4x4.com/

One of their hardest workers at the event is a soldier and his wife. This guy came to a WFTW event 2 years ago and then went and bought himself a Jeep after he got well. Now, he is active in WFTW and is going to take out wounded soldiers in HIS rig this year. This is a lot of what we are trying to accomplish here......a self perpetuating involvement to help healing and getting involved.

Kinda gives me goosebumps.... :thumbup:

Very nice....regardless of what anyone says, just helping that one person get on his feet is well worth every dime to me....I got off cheap actually...
ImageImageImage

Stouttrout

Postby Stouttrout » Thu Apr 25, 2013

Txpro posted some pics up on Facebook. You can see them here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 609&type=1

I am so ready for this event to get here. I have some maintenance issues on the trailer to take care of. Going to start that tonight. I was not planning on bringing it but other devised other plans for me. If I get done in time I will be up there late wed, night. If anyone is coming out early, let me know.

Blue Angel
WFTW Supporter

Postby Blue Angel » Thu Apr 25, 2013

I will be there Thursday afternoon.

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Postby MaxGravy » Thu Apr 25, 2013

Splunky and I will be there Thursday afternoon/evening. :D

That's a week from today!
ImageImageImage

Silver Addict
Dunce

Postby Silver Addict » Thu Apr 25, 2013

SA touches down in SA at around 1pm Friday i think.

Blue Angel
WFTW Supporter

Postby Blue Angel » Fri Apr 26, 2013

Preparations ongoing...

Brand new rockcrawler wheel and Mud Terrain tire.

Cobra 25LTD Classic CB radio. Out of my 18 wheeler I used to drive. When offroading, we use them to communicate with the trail guide and each other.

Firestick antenna and new mount.

Front axle opened up. This "open" carrier will be replaced this afternoon with a locked differential. I am doing the work myself.....just waiting on a fellow 4 wheeler buddy to come hang out and drink some beers....

Blue Angel
WFTW Supporter

New Rubicon Express lift springs with adjustable track bar and new sway bar. We disconnect the sway bar when offroading to improve the articulation of the suspension. I don't do "muddin'"....we go crawling through rocks in canyons and hill climbs.

If you look real close in the back you can see the brand new exhaust down pipe I just welded in with a new oxygen sensor. I checked mileage today and this Jeep got 19.7 MPG driving in town. I am very satisfied with those numbers considering the tires it is spinning. I fixed a few vacuum leaks, tune up, and treated the fuel. Pretty sure that all helped.

Blue Angel
WFTW Supporter

New LockRight locking differential.

Doesn't look like $275 does it? I had these in the original Blue Angel Jeep and they perform flawlessly. Awesome product. More on the install later.

Stouttrout

Postby Stouttrout » Fri Apr 26, 2013

JIM, STOP!!! All your doing is reminding me how much I have to do this weekend.

Blue Angel
WFTW Supporter

Postby Blue Angel » Sat Apr 27, 2013

Differential carrier removed from rig and spider gears removed from carrier.

Locker installed in the carrier.

Bearings, seals, and ring/pinion looks good.

All back together and working great. We will now be able to go over a LOT of stuff!

skylersfriend
Turtle Jester

Postby skylersfriend » Sat Apr 27, 2013

Blue Angel, appears that you all are "greared up" to show the troops and the Duck a great time. Wish I could be there; kudos to you and the other 4 wheel volunteers for your good work.
Don't think of me as a cynic; I am an optimist with experience!

“In finance, everything that is agreeable is unsound and everything that is sound is disagreeable.” Winston Churchill

The year 2017: Where words and ideas are considered too hateful to be said,
while riots and assault are considered too peaceful to be prosecuted.

Blue Angel
WFTW Supporter

Postby Blue Angel » Sat Apr 27, 2013

Thanks Hal! It is gonna be huge this year. We are expecting many more soldiers this time....Bullionstacker donations have allowed us to rent another coach bus to transport them. There will probably be a couple hundred 4x4 rigs. Keep watching for updates all week!

Temperatures are forecast to be in the upper 70's -low 80's! For Texas, this is almost blizzard conditions! :clap: :clap:

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Postby MaxGravy » Wed May 01, 2013

We had a wonderful dinner last night with the WFTW president and his wife. We learned a lot about the organization and the great things they do. It takes a massive amount of work to put on an event like this and these folks are totally committed. They also took us for a drive around San Antonio in their Jeep and showed us the sites. More than ever I'm proud to be a part of this event. :thumbup:

And I must say that the people here in Texas are very friendly - this is definitely not California. :lol:

We'll be in Marble Falls tomorrow and I'll try to get some pictures posted in the evening.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Wheelers For The Wounded”