Wallet issues, cold and hot

Discussion of all things crypto and blockchain.
Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Wallet issues, cold and hot

Postby Bucketeer » Thu Jan 11, 2018

This is the topic for wallet problems, either cold or hot wallets. Don't leave your coins on an exchange!
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Re: Wallet issues, cold and hot

I used to be a big believer in the Jaxx wallet, but anymore I'm not so sure if it is a good solution if you are using it across multiple devices.

I have Jaxx on a Win10 PC, a Chromebox, and an Android phone. My wallet contains small amounts of BCT, BCH, ETH, SALT, and QTUM.

Last weekend, my Jaxx wallet was locked-up. None of the devices agreed on the correct balances. I was unable to send any funds. I'm not sure if I was able to receive funds. Come Monday, everything synced-up and the wallets were working fine across all platforms.

Yesterday, I transferred a significant amount of SALT to my Jaxx wallet, with the goal to put it on my KeepKey.. My phone shows the correct balance. My Win10 PC shows ZERO. I haven't checked the balance on my Chromebox.

I've used the Jaxx wallet for a couple of years, but it has problems across multiple devices, and with some of the newer coins like SALT and QTUM, Jaxx is unable to provide a transaction history.

I like Jaxx, but if you have problems, give it a couple of days before your sound the alarm.

Southpaw
Gold Supporter

Postby Southpaw » Thu Jan 11, 2018

Not sure if this is a wallet question or the beginners guide question. I picked up some VeChain several weeks ago on Binance (thanks Silversaving) and want to move it to my Trezor through MEW. It appears the Gas is paid in Ether, but not sure if I need Ether in my wallet or on the exchange. Currently I don’t have Ether in either place. My first experience with ERC20 tokens.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Thu Jan 11, 2018

Southpaw wrote:Not sure if this is a wallet question or the beginners guide question. I picked up some VeChain several weeks ago on Binance (thanks Silversaving) and want to move it to my Trezor through MEW. It appears the Gas is paid in Ether, but not sure if I need Ether in my wallet or on the exchange. Currently I don’t have Ether in either place. My first experience with ERC20 tokens.

Binance will take the fee to withdraw out of whatever token you are withdrawing (like most exchanges do). Unless you are signed up and using BNB (Binance coin) and saving on fees. Then they might take it out of your BNB stash and save you some $$$. I know they do this for trades, but I'm not 100% certain they take the fees out of your BNB for withdrawals.

Once it is on your MEW-Trezor, you will then need ETH to move any of it later on. It is a good idea to always have some amount of ETH in your MEW so you can be ready to move stuff around whenever you like.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Southpaw wrote:Not sure if this is a wallet question or the beginners guide question. I picked up some VeChain several weeks ago on Binance (thanks Silversaving) and want to move it to my Trezor through MEW. It appears the Gas is paid in Ether, but not sure if I need Ether in my wallet or on the exchange. Currently I don’t have Ether in either place. My first experience with ERC20 tokens.

I'd put some Ether in the receiving wallet, and resend.

rahbii

Postby rahbii » Thu Jan 11, 2018

The new NEON wallet is bananas. I sent DBC to my ledger and it was confirmed in less than a minute. .50 cents to send and faster (or seemed just as fast) than DASH
Image Image Image
"The early bird gets the worm. But it's the 2nd mouse who gets the cheese"

Southpaw
Gold Supporter

Postby Southpaw » Thu Jan 11, 2018

SilverDoge wrote:

Binance will take the fee to withdraw out of whatever token you are withdrawing (like most exchanges do). Unless you are signed up and using BNB (Binance coin) and saving on fees. Then they might take it out of your BNB stash and save you some $$$. I know they do this for trades, but I'm not 100% certain they take the fees out of your BNB for withdrawals.

Once it is on your MEW-Trezor, you will then need ETH to move any of it later on. It is a good idea to always have some amount of ETH in your MEW so you can be ready to move stuff around whenever you like.

Thanks for the info

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

My Jaxx phone is showing 735 SALT, and Win10 Jaxx is showing ZERO. I haven't checked my Chromebox but I'm beginning to believe these problems are Jaxx-related. I believe that the balances will sync given a couple of days.

I tend to think these discrepancies will correct themselves within 48 hours, but it is a royal PIA when it occurs. Your wallet is "locked out"....no Send and probably No receive.

I've never had a problem with Jaxx on my phone and Chromebox (Chrome extension). The Win10 is using the Desktop app,and I might switch to the Chrome extension. I keep you posted on my progress.

Next step, updating my KeepKey for SALT and BCH.

Return to “Bitcoin/Crypto/Blockchain”