Bitcoin Futures

Discussion of all things crypto and blockchain.
Long John
Turtle Supporter

Re: Bitcoin Futures

Postby Long John » Wed Dec 06, 2017

SilverDoge wrote:... I'm sure people who are short or long are going to either create FUD or other manipulations in the market to get their positions to make money. This could be the big players attempt to control bitcoin, and it will basically be one of the most interesting experiments in the financial history of our times. I plan on being on the right side of that experiment.

Which side is that? Please define the sides, in the scenario of forces manipulating the market even more than they are now. Since you have hedged with Ethereum and were already diversified with many coins, your view must be more complex than the credo followed by some: do nothing, no matter what happens.

oldmansilverBS
Silver Supporter

Postby oldmansilverBS » Wed Dec 06, 2017

SilverDoge wrote:I would not trade bitcoin on margin. Some people are going to get completely wrecked in these futures markets. I'm personally just holding and have a "wait and see" approach. I've also put in some limit buy orders just in case volatility goes crazy with people shorting and we have a massive flash crash. Anything is possible.

orders.png

I like your idea of placing some limit orders under the market in case of a flash crash. I suspect that if there is a crash it will have to be coordinated by large holders of Bitcoin who go short in the futures market and then sell a massive amount of Bitcoin all at once. No matter what happens the next couple months should be very interesting.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Wed Dec 06, 2017

natsb88 wrote:
Brick's wrote:What companies own the media/digital signals that shows/determines the current prices of Bitcoin or in other words, how is the price of Bitcoin shown to the world and who determines it as it stands right now, this instant?

What if these companies, corporations, or individuals decided not to abide by the commodity exchanges and only go with the actual "physical" price in the similar manner the BRICS nations are looking to do with gold? Simply put, ignore TPTB and stay the course with the current path.

There really isn't a single price of Bitcoin. The price of Bitcoin is determined independently on each exchange according to the trading activity. Bitcoin may even be priced differently (in terms of USD) on the same exchange from one trading pair (BTC-ETH) to another (BTC-USD). CoinMarketCap reports "the price" of Bitcoin in USD as a volume weighted average of all of those markets.

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitcoin/#markets

The price of real Bitcoin will continue to be set independently on each exchange according to the actual trading activity. The question is how much these new futures markets will influence the real trading activity on the exchanges.

+1 Stay Long, ride the Bull.
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Thu Dec 07, 2017

oldmansilverBS wrote:
SilverDoge wrote:I would not trade bitcoin on margin. Some people are going to get completely wrecked in these futures markets. I'm personally just holding and have a "wait and see" approach. I've also put in some limit buy orders just in case volatility goes crazy with people shorting and we have a massive flash crash. Anything is possible.

orders.png

I like your idea of placing some limit orders under the market in case of a flash crash. I suspect that if there is a crash it will have to be coordinated by large holders of Bitcoin who go short in the futures market and then sell a massive amount of Bitcoin all at once. No matter what happens the next couple months should be very interesting.

This is my thinking as well. Big boys take up huge short positions, then sell huge sums. Of course they need the physical bitcoin to pull off this strategy, and at the bottom of the short, they will go long again to make money on the flip side (probably). Should be interesting.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Thu Dec 07, 2017

SilverDoge wrote:
oldmansilverBS wrote:

orders.png

This is my thinking as well. Big boys take up huge short positions, then sell huge sums. Of course they need the physical bitcoin to pull off this strategy, and at the bottom of the short, they will go long again to make money on the flip side (probably). Should be interesting.

Bitcoin futures are cash-settled. No physical delivery is required. This isn't pork bellies, cattle, or coffee.

Buckle-up, Bitcoin is gonna be a wild ride for the next couple of months.
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.

Return to “Bitcoin/Crypto/Blockchain”