Tether

Discussion of all things crypto and blockchain.
Silversaving
Platinum Supporter

Re: Tether

Postby Silversaving » Sat Jan 20, 2018

Tether now prints $100 million DAILY to delay the inevitable doom of Bitfinex

http://stockemperor.com/currencies/tether-now-prints-100-mln-usd-daily/
ImageSeeking a Rodebaugh series #1 & Fat Boy

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Sat Jan 20, 2018

Silversaving wrote:Tether now prints $100 million DAILY to delay the inevitable doom of Bitfinex

Man, they're really gambling that not too many Tether holders will try to spend it at the same time.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Sun Jan 21, 2018

Diggin4copper
Kraken Supporter

Postby Diggin4copper » Fri Jan 26, 2018

So if I had 100 million dollars, could I start my own tether-like coin and sit back and collect the Vig?
How come ultra rich people are not doing this?
Outstanding!

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Fri Jan 26, 2018

Diggin4copper wrote:So if I had 100 million dollars, could I start my own tether-like coin and sit back and collect the Vig?

Not only could you collect the vig, you could issue $1 billion worth of your tether-like coin with only $100 million to back it. Then you could use the entire amount of Bitcoin deposited by customers any way you choose, such as raking off profits, buying other crypto, shorting, cashing out. Get some shady auditing service to create a report making you look in good shape. You're only in trouble if people try to use more of their tether-ish coin than you actually have money for. That is the danger Tether faces, and is betting won't happen. But the more empty Tether they add, the higher the danger.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Sat Jan 27, 2018

Long John wrote:
Diggin4copper wrote:So if I had 100 million dollars, could I start my own tether-like coin and sit back and collect the Vig?

Not only could you collect the vig, you could issue $1 billion worth of your tether-like coin with only $100 million to back it. Then you could use the entire amount of Bitcoin deposited by customers any way you choose, such as raking off profits, buying other crypto, shorting, cashing out. Get some shady auditing service to create a report making you look in good shape. You're only in trouble if people try to use more of their tether-ish coin than you actually have money for. That is the danger Tether faces, and is betting won't happen. But the more empty Tether they add, the higher the danger.

Exactly right. The collapse of tether will be the best buying day opportunity in crypto. Something to keep in the back of our minds with very low buy orders. Whether that happens next month, or in 5 years... be ready.

Diggin4copper
Kraken Supporter

Postby Diggin4copper » Sat Jan 27, 2018

But is it feasible to start a new tether like coin with a few million dollars?
Outstanding!

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Sat Jan 27, 2018

A possible alternative solution to tether? Chris Coney mentioned this on his Friday livestream.

https://makerdao.com/

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Sun Jan 28, 2018

Just in January, Tether has created $850 million worth of USDT to spread around the exchanges. Have they given up all pretense of having $1 USD to back every $1 of USDT? And they terminated their relationship with their auditor. Danger! Danger! As Travis has noted (and Crypto Investor here) when this blows it will have a severe effect on the whole market, though we'd be healthier without it.

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Postby natsb88 » Tue Jan 30, 2018

U.S. Regulators Subpoena Crypto Exchange Bitfinex, Tether

U.S. regulators are scrutinizing one of the world’s largest cryptocurrency exchanges as questions mount over a digital token linked to its backers.

The U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission sent subpoenas last week to virtual-currency venue Bitfinex and Tether, a company that issues a widely traded coin and claims it’s pegged to the dollar, according to a person familiar with the matter, who asked not to be identified discussing private information. The firms share the same chief executive officer.

Tether’s coins have become a popular substitute for dollars on cryptocurrency exchanges worldwide, with about $2.3 billion of the tokens outstanding as of Tuesday. While Tether has said all of its coins are backed by U.S. dollars held in reserve, the company has yet to provide conclusive evidence of its holdings to the public or have its accounts audited. Skeptics have questioned whether the money is really there.

“We routinely receive legal process from law enforcement agents and regulators conducting investigations,” Bitfinex and Tether said Tuesday in an emailed statement. “It is our policy not to comment on any such requests.”

Erica Richardson, a CFTC spokeswoman, declined to comment.

More here: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ed-by-cftc

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Tue Jan 30, 2018

Well, this could be it. I hate what tether has done to this market. I want it to collapse so we can all move past this BS.

Fabio

Postby Fabio » Tue Jan 30, 2018

When did this tether sh*t start? I've been in crypto since around this time last year but didn't really pay much attention or trade until much later in the year, around July/August.
"LiteCoin, the original shitcoin" - Fabio 2018

silverpv
Gold Supporter

Postby silverpv » Tue Jan 30, 2018

Fabio wrote:When did this tether sh*t start? I've been in crypto since around this time last year but didn't really pay much attention or trade until much later in the year, around July/August.

It started around August /July ;)

We'll see where this goes.. For sure it'll be some future fodder for later.

BarsandStars
Turtle Supporter

Postby BarsandStars » Tue Jan 30, 2018

I have a feeling this is just the tip of the iceberg. If bitfinex comes out and drops the "I" word (insolvency), then the real fireworks happen. (even though it's obvious they are insolvent)

I gotta get my azz in gear tonight and move everything off binance.
Joining Binance to trade cryptos? Click my referral link below!
www.binance.com/?ref=20981136

rahbii

Postby rahbii » Tue Jan 30, 2018

If the tether issue blows up I think it'd be extremely bullish. In order to 'cash out' of tether you have to buy bitcoins/alts. Also, what can US regulators do to a non-US company with no US customers?

This has a sort of 'orchestration' feel to it....and seems to be very in sync with cash settled options going live. For example, Bitfinex was subpoenaed on Dec. 3. Why 'break' the news almost 2 months later??? hmm...
Image Image Image
"The early bird gets the worm. But it's the 2nd mouse who gets the cheese"

anaecoin

Postby anaecoin » Thu Apr 26, 2018

Hi! Great to see forums like this

Just wondering though, what do you think tether is gonna be for the next 2 years or so? Is it a good one?
read some info about it here SHILL LINK REMOVED
please give me a heads up. Thanks y'all :wave:

fredzoyt
Spiritual Supporter

Postby fredzoyt » Thu Apr 26, 2018

anaecoin wrote:Hi! Great to see forums like this

Just wondering though, what do you think tether is gonna be for the next 2 years or so? Is it a good one?

Hi there. Why don't you head over to the intro section and introduce yourself. :thumbup:
http://www.bullionstacker.com/viewforum.php?f=15

Dave
http://www.the-highway.com/ultimate_questions.html
http://www.gotquestions.org/way-of-salvation.html

Phil. 2:10 so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth,

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Thu Apr 26, 2018

Tether is not a cryptocurrency that increases (or decreases) in value. So it's not a "good one" in that sense. It's anchored to the U.S. dollar and never varies more than a couple cents one way or the other. Tether's utility is as a means to take some or all of your crypto assets off the table, so to speak, to protect it from a market decline. Of course that means it's off the table for a market increase, too. Basically, it's converting your Bitcoin and alt-coin to a crypto representation of the USD. If the market drops, you can use the Tether to buy back cryptos at a lower price. If the market rises, well, being in Tether was not the best move.

The controversy is there's supposed to be $1 USD in the bank for every $1 USDT (T for Tether) that exists. But Tether keeps issuing many more millions of tokens as if it were Monopoly money, and many people doubt they have the dollars to back them up. We skeptics believe Tether is gambling that the time will never come when too many Tether owners try to convert back to Bitcoin etc. at the same time, which would bankrupt the Tether system. Basically the same gamble Bernie Madoff took, and look what happened to his investors. It hasn't happened yet with Tether, but I wouldn't want to be holding USDT when the music stops.

But all this discussion is in this thread. I recommend reading it from the beginning.

BarsandStars
Turtle Supporter

Postby BarsandStars » Fri Apr 27, 2018

Not to be rude but I noticed all you do is post links to that same website. Am i the only one that feels like we're being trolled by this guy?
Joining Binance to trade cryptos? Click my referral link below!
www.binance.com/?ref=20981136

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Fri Apr 27, 2018

BarsandStars wrote:Not to be rude but I noticed all you do is post links to that same website. Am i the only one that feels like we're being trolled by this guy?

Yeah, I realized that after I went to the trouble of explaining Tether. I checked his other posts, and felt pretty stupid for not noticing his username contains the name of the site he's trying to send people to. He's only here (and probably other places) to shill that site.

Return to “Bitcoin/Crypto/Blockchain”