The Bitcoin (crypto) Beginner's Guide

Discussion of all things crypto and blockchain.
User avatar
MaxGravy
Site Admin
Posts: 15701
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009

Re: The Bitcoin (crypto) Beginner's Guide

Postby MaxGravy » Sun Jan 14, 2018

LRC is listed on the ETH markets page at Gateway. :?

Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 6.02.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 6.02.16 PM.png (763.15 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
I'm clearly not very bright.

Silversummit
Turtle Supporter
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016

Re: The Bitcoin (crypto) Beginner's Guide

Postby Silversummit » Sun Jan 14, 2018

MaxGravy wrote:LRC is listed on the ETH markets page at Gateway. :?

Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 6.02.16 PM.png

Oops my bad, I didn't see the eth trading pair. Now I do. Maybe it's time for a nap
Get $10 in bitcoin when you spend $100 with the link below.
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593f314703c4930098573eed

save 10% on all trade fee's for 6 months at gate exchange.
https://gate.io/signup/955279

binance
https://www.binance.com/?ref=13221361
thank you to any who use these links as I get referral bonuses also :thumbup:

User avatar
MaxGravy
Site Admin
Posts: 15701
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009

Re: The Bitcoin (crypto) Beginner's Guide

Postby MaxGravy » Sun Jan 14, 2018

Silversummit wrote:
MaxGravy wrote:LRC is listed on the ETH markets page at Gateway. :?

Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 6.02.16 PM.png

Oops my bad, I didn't see the eth trading pair. Now I do. Maybe it's time for a nap


It worked! :thumbup:
I'm clearly not very bright.

User avatar
MaxGravy
Site Admin
Posts: 15701
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009

Re: The Bitcoin (crypto) Beginner's Guide

Postby MaxGravy » Sun Jan 14, 2018

Gateway fees:
$1.50 to move .25 ETH to Gateway
$6.59 to trade the ETH for LRC
$1.51 to move the LRC to MEW

Does that seem high?
I'm clearly not very bright.

User avatar
SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter
Posts: 4724
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014
Location: Kansas

Re: The Bitcoin (crypto) Beginner's Guide

Postby SilverDoge » Sun Jan 14, 2018

MaxGravy wrote:Gateway fees:
$1.50 to move .25 ETH to Gateway - No
$6.59 to trade the ETH for LRC - Depends how much you traded
$1.51 to move the LRC to MEW - No

Does that seem high?


See in red. The ETH network doesn't care about the amount of coin you move. It merely cares about the transaction itself traversing the network and using gas. $1.50 is about the standard right now.
Image

User avatar
MaxGravy
Site Admin
Posts: 15701
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009

Re: The Bitcoin (crypto) Beginner's Guide

Postby MaxGravy » Sun Jan 14, 2018

SilverDoge wrote:
MaxGravy wrote:Gateway fees:
$1.50 to move .25 ETH to Gateway - No
$6.59 to trade the ETH for LRC - Depends how much you traded
$1.51 to move the LRC to MEW - No

Does that seem high?


See in red. The ETH network doesn't care about the amount of coin you move. It merely cares about the transaction itself traversing the network and using gas. $1.50 is about the standard right now.


I traded all of the .25 ETH for 234.3 LRC.
I'm clearly not very bright.

User avatar
SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter
Posts: 4724
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014
Location: Kansas

Re: The Bitcoin (crypto) Beginner's Guide

Postby SilverDoge » Sun Jan 14, 2018

MaxGravy wrote:
SilverDoge wrote:
MaxGravy wrote:Gateway fees:
$1.50 to move .25 ETH to Gateway - No
$6.59 to trade the ETH for LRC - Depends how much you traded
$1.51 to move the LRC to MEW - No

Does that seem high?


See in red. The ETH network doesn't care about the amount of coin you move. It merely cares about the transaction itself traversing the network and using gas. $1.50 is about the standard right now.


I traded all of the .25 ETH for 234.3 LRC.


That is about a 1.9% trading fee. Verdict: high.
Image

User avatar
MaxGravy
Site Admin
Posts: 15701
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009

Re: The Bitcoin (crypto) Beginner's Guide

Postby MaxGravy » Sun Jan 14, 2018

I finally got in to Binance. Just kept trying. So I moved another .25 ETH from gateway to binance. Gateway charged me $4.04 to transfer (.003 ETH).

I'm done with gateway.

gate.io phooey. :|
I'm clearly not very bright.

User avatar
Silversaving
Platinum Supporter
Posts: 1207
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: The Bitcoin (crypto) Beginner's Guide

Postby Silversaving » Sun Jan 14, 2018

MaxGravy wrote:I finally got in to Binance. Just kept trying. So I moved another .25 ETH from gateway to binance. Gateway charged me $4.04 to transfer (.003 ETH).

I'm done with gateway.

gate.io phooey. :|

Make sure you buy some BNB tokens first thing on Binance. It halves your trading costs.
ImageSeeking Rodebaugh Serial #'s 9 & 23.

User avatar
MaxGravy
Site Admin
Posts: 15701
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009

Re: The Bitcoin (crypto) Beginner's Guide

Postby MaxGravy » Sun Jan 14, 2018

Silversaving wrote:
MaxGravy wrote:I finally got in to Binance. Just kept trying. So I moved another .25 ETH from gateway to binance. Gateway charged me $4.04 to transfer (.003 ETH).

I'm done with gateway.

gate.io phooey. :|

Make sure you buy some BNB tokens first thing on Binance. It halves your trading costs.


BNB? Never heard of them. I had no idea. Binance charged me $10.40 to move the same amount of LRC to my MEW.

:x

Now I know why they hide their fee structure.

Live and learn.
I'm clearly not very bright.

User avatar
MaxGravy
Site Admin
Posts: 15701
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009

Re: The Bitcoin (crypto) Beginner's Guide

Postby MaxGravy » Sun Jan 14, 2018

And that's after I paid to move it to Binance.

No wonder adoption is so slow.
I'm clearly not very bright.

User avatar
MaxGravy
Site Admin
Posts: 15701
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009

Re: The Bitcoin (crypto) Beginner's Guide

Postby MaxGravy » Sun Jan 14, 2018

Most of the money made in the gold rush was selling shovels and picks to miners. Nothing's changed.
I'm clearly not very bright.

Silversummit
Turtle Supporter
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016

Re: The Bitcoin (crypto) Beginner's Guide

Postby Silversummit » Sun Jan 14, 2018

MaxGravy wrote:
Silversaving wrote:
MaxGravy wrote:I finally got in to Binance. Just kept trying. So I moved another .25 ETH from gateway to binance. Gateway charged me $4.04 to transfer (.003 ETH).

I'm done with gateway.

gate.io phooey. :|

Make sure you buy some BNB tokens first thing on Binance. It halves your trading costs.


BNB? Never heard of them. I had no idea. Binance charged me $10.40 to move the same amount of LRC to my MEW.

:x

Now I know why they hide their fee structure.

Live and learn.




Yes you need to buy some BNB ( binance ) tokens first to give you 50% off trading fees. Gate has the same thing but I believe but I have not figured out how to get their coins only how to get them on their exchange. I think they earned by your reputation over a time period.
Get $10 in bitcoin when you spend $100 with the link below.
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593f314703c4930098573eed

save 10% on all trade fee's for 6 months at gate exchange.
https://gate.io/signup/955279

binance
https://www.binance.com/?ref=13221361
thank you to any who use these links as I get referral bonuses also :thumbup:

User avatar
MaxGravy
Site Admin
Posts: 15701
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009

Re: The Bitcoin (crypto) Beginner's Guide

Postby MaxGravy » Sun Jan 14, 2018

Silversummit wrote:
MaxGravy wrote:
Silversaving wrote:
MaxGravy wrote:I finally got in to Binance. Just kept trying. So I moved another .25 ETH from gateway to binance. Gateway charged me $4.04 to transfer (.003 ETH).

I'm done with gateway.

gate.io phooey. :|

Make sure you buy some BNB tokens first thing on Binance. It halves your trading costs.


BNB? Never heard of them. I had no idea. Binance charged me $10.40 to move the same amount of LRC to my MEW.

:x

Now I know why they hide their fee structure.

Live and learn.




Yes you need to buy some BNB ( binance ) tokens first to give you 50% off trading fees. Gate has the same thing but I believe but I have not figured out how to get their coins only how to get them on their exchange. I think they earned by your reputation over a time period.


Well I'm done now. I just wanted to get a few LRC onto a wallet.

I have a lot to learn before I try that again.
I'm clearly not very bright.

cabbie31
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017

Re: The Bitcoin (crypto) Beginner's Guide

Postby cabbie31 » Tue Jan 16, 2018

For those newbies(like myself) out there that may be feeling a little nervous today , this is my very first btc purchase.

Bought Bitcoin
+0.02492868 BTC
@ $19,896.76 per BTC
Reference code
FG8ZEQM7
Payment Method
Bank .....
Fee
$4.00
Subtotal
$496.00
Total
$500.00
12/16/2017 6:32 PM
COMPLETED

By the time I received my btc a week later my 500 bucks had turned into approx 380 bucks and there wasn't a darn thing I could do about it...lol...It's all good tho, have recouped and in fact my "portfolio" has doubled even at this moment amongst the sea of red.... hang tight...
(I read somewhere today, the all time high was 19,870.62 however- maybe coinbase tacked some extra on?)

User avatar
Silverkid
Gold Supporter
Posts: 1212
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014
Location: Indy

Re: The Bitcoin (crypto) Beginner's Guide

Postby Silverkid » Tue Jan 16, 2018

MaxGravy wrote:
Silversummit wrote:
MaxGravy wrote:
Silversaving wrote:
MaxGravy wrote:I finally got in to Binance. Just kept trying. So I moved another .25 ETH from gateway to binance. Gateway charged me $4.04 to transfer (.003 ETH).

I'm done with gateway.

gate.io phooey. :|

Make sure you buy some BNB tokens first thing on Binance. It halves your trading costs.


BNB? Never heard of them. I had no idea. Binance charged me $10.40 to move the same amount of LRC to my MEW.

:x

Now I know why they hide their fee structure.

Live and learn.




Yes you need to buy some BNB ( binance ) tokens first to give you 50% off trading fees. Gate has the same thing but I believe but I have not figured out how to get their coins only how to get them on their exchange. I think they earned by your reputation over a time period.


Well I'm done now. I just wanted to get a few LRC onto a wallet.

I have a lot to learn before I try that again.


Moving coins around (from exchange to exchange) usually incurs network fees. It's not the same thing as trading fees
I prefer payment in crypto: LTC, ETH AND BTC. Also accept Google Wallet, Zelle , Postal Money Orders, and Personal Checks. Shipping prices do not include insurance. If you want insurance/registered mail, it's always extra.

User avatar
Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter
Posts: 2862
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014
Location: Warily watching the herd.

Re: The Bitcoin (crypto) Beginner's Guide

Postby Bucketeer » Wed Jan 17, 2018

MaxGravy wrote:Most of the money made in the gold rush was selling shovels and picks to miners. Nothing's changed.

Yeah man.
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.

cmiller17363
Gold Supporter
Posts: 791
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017

Re: The Bitcoin (crypto) Beginner's Guide

Postby cmiller17363 » Thu Jan 18, 2018

I have a question that I cant find an easy answer to. Maybe it's just that dumb. Lol
I have a ledger nano s.
Im wondering if my PIN affects the addresses the nano creates from the 24-word passphrase. Can two people have the same passphrase if their pins are different?
ImageImageImage

User avatar
joefro
Site Tech
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012

Re: The Bitcoin (crypto) Beginner's Guide

Postby joefro » Thu Jan 18, 2018

cmiller17363 wrote:I have a question that I cant find an easy answer to. Maybe it's just that dumb. Lol
I have a ledger nano s.
Im wondering if my PIN affects the addresses the nano creates from the 24-word passphrase. Can two people have the same passphrase if their pins are different?



Everyone has a unique 24-word passphrase.

cmiller17363
Gold Supporter
Posts: 791
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017

Re: The Bitcoin (crypto) Beginner's Guide

Postby cmiller17363 » Thu Jan 18, 2018

joefro wrote:
cmiller17363 wrote:I have a question that I cant find an easy answer to. Maybe it's just that dumb. Lol
I have a ledger nano s.
Im wondering if my PIN affects the addresses the nano creates from the 24-word passphrase. Can two people have the same passphrase if their pins are different?


Everyone has a unique 24-word passphrase.

:thumbup: Thanks Joefro!!
ImageImageImage


Return to “Bitcoin/Crypto/Blockchain”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests