The Bitcoin (crypto) Beginner's Guide

Discussion of all things crypto and blockchain.
Brick's
Supporter

Re: The Bitcoin (crypto) Beginner's Guide

Postby Brick's » Fri Feb 09, 2018

So what ever became of the controversy associated with Bitcoin Gold?

Those being: Bitcoin Gold developer Martin Kuvandzhiev allegedly integrated a 0.5% fee into a BTG mining pool that was then directed to his cryptocurrency wallet; that some mining pools removed the code as it became publicly available; a failure to publicize the fork and the private mining of tens of thousands of blocks raised suspicion that Bitcoin Gold was a way for its developers to enrich themselves.*

*From Sam Bourgi, Chief Editor to Hacked.com

Do the above give Bitcoin Gold a deserved "shitcoin" rating?

Trying to get a feel for how those here (who know more than I) think about it all.

Have to get this one off my chest also. Cryptokitties is a game on the Etherium blockchain/network where people buy, sell and breed digital cats, and the cats end up kind of being just another way to hold ether?

Good god, I know nothing.

I'm on a roll. What's up with Bank of America having "48 blockchain-related patents and patent applications? A search of Google’s patent database shows Bank of America owns 27 patents containing the word “blockchain,” 36 that include “bitcoin” and 39 that include “cryptocurrency.” And likely a few that have a differently-named assignee" (from Yahoo Finance).

Obiviously, you don't have to have a coin to use the technology. If anyone can use the technology and borrow from the open source why use cryptocurrency at all? Money digitized is money digitized. Ones and zeros, zeros and ones. Call it a U$D or a RXP, what would be the difference? If I understand the minds of these banksters they are going to set up their own blockchain ecosystems, use the efficiency to enhance profits and harden the security of their systems with the cryptography (tweek it here and there) and patent how they are using it because they can. It's what I would do were I in their shoes.
"You pompously call your selves Republicans and Democrats. There is no Republican Party. There is no Democratic Party. There are no Republicans or Democrats in this house. You are Lick-Spittlers and panderers, the creatures of the plutocracy".
- Jack London

"It is a government of corporations, by corporations, and for corporations."
- Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th President

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Fri Feb 09, 2018

Brick's wrote:So what ever became of the controversy associated with Bitcoin Gold?

Good god, I know nothing.

So....spend $100 on Bitcoin and get in the game?
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Sat Feb 10, 2018

Brick's wrote:Do the above give Bitcoin Gold a deserved "shitcoin" rating?

See my opinion on "Bitcoin Gold" and other worthless bitcoin forks...
Here: http://www.bullionstacker.com/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=28342&start=100#p557652
Here: http://www.bullionstacker.com/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=29279#p563150
Here: http://www.bullionstacker.com/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=15864&start=2020#p555578

Brick's wrote:Have to get this one off my chest also. Cryptokitties is a game on the Etherium blockchain/network where people buy, sell and breed digital cats, and the cats end up kind of being just another way to hold ether?

CryptoKitties was supposed to be a way to get non-crypto people interested in blockchain with a fun, simple, easy to use unique game. The creator said he thought the kitties would be purchased for $1 worth of ETH or less, not hundreds or even thousands of dollars. My advice: stay away. I don't think it is a way to "hold" ETH. You hold the smart contract to a unique kittie and can sell it on the market I believe, but you need a buyer. I only have limited surface level knowledge of this game. All I remember is that it clogged the network and increased gas fees.

Brick's wrote:I'm on a roll. What's up with Bank of America having "48 blockchain-related patents and patent applications? A search of Google’s patent database shows Bank of America owns 27 patents containing the word “blockchain,” 36 that include “bitcoin” and 39 that include “cryptocurrency.” And likely a few that have a differently-named assignee" (from Yahoo Finance).

Obiviously, you don't have to have a coin to use the technology. If anyone can use the technology and borrow from the open source why use cryptocurrency at all? Money digitized is money digitized. Ones and zeros, zeros and ones. Call it a U$D or a RXP, what would be the difference? If I understand the minds of these banksters they are going to set up their own blockchain ecosystems, use the efficiency to enhance profits and harden the security of their systems with the cryptography (tweek it here and there) and patent how they are using it because they can. It's what I would do were I in their shoes.

Andreas calls this the "gilded cage" of the banks. They will set up their "intranets" and the real innovation will happen in the open-source world and we will leave them behind. This is such a great talk that I'm sure I've posted it somewhere before, but it gets directly to your question/observation.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Sat Feb 10, 2018

Great video, Andreas makes it clear.
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Sat Feb 10, 2018

The man is guru and incredibly articulate for an engineer.
"You pompously call your selves Republicans and Democrats. There is no Republican Party. There is no Democratic Party. There are no Republicans or Democrats in this house. You are Lick-Spittlers and panderers, the creatures of the plutocracy".
- Jack London

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Mon Feb 12, 2018

So looking up 2FA, I'm finding out 2FA requires that you enter a One-Time Password (OTP) that is sent to your smartphone to complete your login process. I don't have a smart phone. Will it send a text to a "stupid phone" (Its a Samsung/Verizon flip that is at least 4-5 years old most likely older)?
- Jack London

Silverkid
Gold Supporter

Postby Silverkid » Mon Feb 12, 2018

Brick's wrote:So looking up 2FA, I'm finding out 2FA requires that you enter a One-Time Password (OTP) that is sent to your smartphone to complete your login process. I don't have a smart phone. Will it send a text to a "stupid phone" (Its a Samsung/Verizon flip that is at least 4-5 years old most likely older)?

If you can receive text messages then you are good
I prefer payment in crypto: LTC, ETH AND BTC. Also accept Google Wallet, Zelle , Postal Money Orders, and Personal Checks. Shipping prices do not include insurance. If you want insurance/registered mail, it's always extra.

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Mon Feb 12, 2018

Brick's wrote:So looking up 2FA, I'm finding out 2FA requires that you enter a One-Time Password (OTP) that is sent to your smartphone to complete your login process. I don't have a smart phone. Will it send a text to a "stupid phone" (Its a Samsung/Verizon flip that is at least 4-5 years old most likely older)?

Text messages (SMS) has been around since 1992. 2007 was the first year that the average person sent and received more texts than phone calls (source: mashable). So it seems likely that any phone from the last 10 years can handle texts.
Dissenting voices have been silenced. BS is now a safe space.
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Mon Feb 12, 2018

TY both. Appreciate greatly. Enabled SMS on the 2FA. Only took 30 minutes to find the right buttons to click on Binance to find enable SMS, send my phone number, get the code and enter it.
- Jack London

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Tue Feb 13, 2018

Binance is a pain to log into. First there's that "drag the puzzle piece" thing to make sure you're not a bot. (How would a bot type in my password?) I never get it right on the first try, because the 3D shadow effect makes it difficult to align the edges. Then there's the 2FA stage, and you must have your cellphone at hand to see the SMS code. The price I pay to protect the loot in case someone manages to get into my account. They can't withdraw unless they have my cellphone (and my fingerprint to turn it on).

Now, if a thief has my login password, my cellphone and the index finger of my right hand, he's good to go!

LittleAbner
Silver Supporter

Postby LittleAbner » Mon Feb 26, 2018

Return to “Bitcoin/Crypto/Blockchain”