Along the same lines of projects "upgrading" to quantum resistance, there are also crypto projects claiming quantum resistance already which may or may not be true. Most of these claims are "future" claims, but others are just fantasy or marketing claims. The QRL team can't be tasked with looking into the codebase of every new crypto claiming to be quantum resistant.
Here is a decent heuristic when evaluating the Quantum Resistance of various projects that a QRL mod likes to use.
1. Are they currently quantum resistant? (Can answer yes to this if question 1A = NO, and 1b, 1c, 1d = ALL YES)
- 1a. Do they use ECDSA? (If yes, they are NOT QC-secure)
- 1b. Do they use peer-reviewed Quantum Resistant Cryptography?
- 1c. Is it in the codebase?
- 1d. Have they been externally audited for quantum resistance?
2. Are they serious about quantum resistance or is it just marketing jazz?
- 2a. Do they discuss at length about what they're going to do to achieve quantum resistance? (beyond 3 paragraphs in a whitepaper)
- 2b. Do they have a codebase with a Quantum Resistant code in it?