Digital Wallets

Discussion of all things crypto and blockchain.
dbm300

Digital Wallets

Postby dbm300 » Thu Jun 08, 2017

Best or recommended digital wallet for new user

Looking at Exodus and Jaxx so far. I am leaning toward Exodus. Any other suggestions?

Also if you have a coinbase account how do you get the bitcoins or whatever over to the wallet? Coinbase "send & receive " tab says to enter an email or bitcoin address. So does the wallet give you a bitcoin address? I am sure this is a really dumb question but it isn't obvious if you haven't done it
Last edited by dbm300 on Thu Jun 08, 2017, edited 1 time in total.
... and Bob's your uncle.

Marchas45
Turtle Supporter

Re: Digital Wallets

Postby Marchas45 » Thu Jun 08, 2017

I have the Trezor which is easy to use and I love it. I'm also an old fart which makes it a plus.
Be Prepared Keep Stacking

Image ImageImage

silverpv
Gold Supporter

Postby silverpv » Thu Jun 08, 2017

I like the jaxx wallet for digital wallets. For a hardware wallet you can put the private key on usb and/or print out paper wallet.

To send hit send, type in the address or scan the qr code. When you open up the jaxx wallet you can copy your address to clipboard or download to your computer. It's good for general purpose.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Thu Jun 08, 2017

I like Jaxx, I think it is solid. I've "lost" my wallet before, and my backup phrase restored it (tell you what - I was really worried - I had a serious amount of money in there).

Use a hardware wallet if you have serious money in this sandbox.

WRITE DOWN THE BACKUP PHRASE AND YOUR PIN FOR ANY WALLET. Make 2 copies, keep them in separate places.

Paper wallets are also good. Never email your address.

Do that and you'll be OK.
Last edited by Bucketeer on Thu Jun 08, 2017, edited 6 times in total.
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Thu Jun 08, 2017

I use Exodus and I like it, though I wish it had more different currencies. It does have the three big ones (Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum) and a few more. I presume over time it will add others. It uses ShapeShift, which allows you to convert say Bitcoin into Ethereum right there within Exodus... no need to send to an exchange, make the deal,and send it back to the wallet. But the choices are limited, as I said.

Jaxx supposedly has higher fees, though I have not researched it myself. I can say Exodus network fees are quite low compared to Coinbase.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Thu Jun 08, 2017

You can set any fee that you want on Jaxx. I always set it low, and although I don't do many transactions, they always go thru. It might take a couple of hours, but the receiver of the money get's notification within minutes.

Bitcoin isn't Mastercard - just give it time.
Last edited by Bucketeer on Thu Jun 08, 2017, edited 4 times in total.
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.

silverpv
Gold Supporter

Postby silverpv » Thu Jun 08, 2017

Bucketeer wrote:You can set any fee that you want on Jaxx. I always set it low, and although I don't do many transactions, they always go thru.

I've had some fail for setting gas too low, but not on jaxx. Most of the time, i use ethereum wallet/jaxx. Ethereum wallet is bulky, Parity is a good wallet for your computer. Desktop wallets are a little safer if it is a Mac vs Windows box.

gramcracker
Turtle Supporter

Postby gramcracker » Fri Jun 16, 2017

Wallet question:
I am using Exodus and I will soon have a Ledger (been shipped). I purchased some BAT @.19 but I'm not sure where to keep it. The BAT site says: "Brave will use the standard Ethereum multi-signature wallet to store ETH." however Exodus customer support says I cannot store it in my eth wallet and should try myethwallet, which appears to be a paper wallet? It does not seem that the Ledger nano S will accept it either.

I am trying to keep this simple (few wallets) since I get confused enough plus I want my wife to be able to access and she has very little interest in all this techy stuff. I am planning on acquiring several more alts but need to resolve the secure (and hopefully simple) storage issue first.

Ideally, I'd like to have one trading hot wallet and one cold storage wallet. Any guidance from you Pro's would be really appreciated. Thanks
Everything in moderation, especially moderation.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Sat Jun 17, 2017

gramcracker wrote:Wallet question:
I am using Exodus and I will soon have a Ledger (been shipped). I purchased some BAT @.19 but I'm not sure where to keep it. The BAT site says: "Brave will use the standard Ethereum multi-signature wallet to store ETH." however Exodus customer support says I cannot store it in my eth wallet and should try myethwallet, which appears to be a paper wallet? It does not seem that the Ledger nano S will accept it either.

I am trying to keep this simple (few wallets) since I get confused enough plus I want my wife to be able to access and she has very little interest in all this techy stuff. I am planning on acquiring several more alts but need to resolve the secure (and hopefully simple) storage issue first.

Ideally, I'd like to have one trading hot wallet and one cold storage wallet. Any guidance from you Pro's would be really appreciated. Thanks

Myetherwallet is able to hold BAT and link to your nano ledger s. I've not done this yet but my understanding is that it is possible. So until the cold storage wallets add more coins, one either needs to accept some risk, or only store in the limited coins currently available.

The demand is there for a cold storage wallet that has 100 coins or more to store, but it just isnt available yet. I think Jaxx is in the process of creating this though.

gramcracker
Turtle Supporter

Postby gramcracker » Sat Jun 17, 2017

Thank you Sir for the help. I will figure out myetherwallet. I do wonder how many crypto holders are confident that heirs or someone they wish, could access their holdings "just in case". I have "misplaced" enough PM to be a little painful :sick: and now am more careful and confident they can be located. Cryptos are more challenging in this regard, at least for me. While my wife is onboard with the investment, she has little interest in the mechanics of how it works, so for me this is a consideration in how I structure my holdings. I mention this as "food for thought" as it can be easy to get caught up in the action of a fast moving market and neglect this detail which may be important to others as well. Just my 2 cents.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Sat Jun 17, 2017

gramcracker wrote:Thank you Sir for the help. I will figure out myetherwallet. I do wonder how many crypto holders are confident that heirs or someone they wish, could access their holdings "just in case". I have "misplaced" enough PM to be a little painful :sick: and now am more careful and confident they can be located. Cryptos are more challenging in this regard, at least for me. While my wife is onboard with the investment, she has little interest in the mechanics of how it works, so for me this is a consideration in how I structure my holdings. I mention this as "food for thought" as it can be easy to get caught up in the action of a fast moving market and neglect this detail which may be important to others as well. Just my 2 cents.

You make a very good point here. In fact the co-founder of HYP died with his wallet address known to some, and his old coin will likely stay there indefinitely now.

gramcracker
Turtle Supporter

Postby gramcracker » Sat Jun 17, 2017

You make a very good point here. In fact the co-founder of HYP died with his wallet address known to some, and his old coin will likely stay there indefinitely now.

Yeah, and access keys are the simple part. I just did the second training exercise with my wife (she's smart but great patience required!) pulling funds off coinbase into a wallet. To cash out she will need to reverse the process. I am not sure she could really do it from scratch yet. This means finding files with wallet locations, all the logins and passwords, doing transfers etc. While I periodically print hard copies, it is tough to keep current. I'm really not a cautious guy by nature but I have decided that my portfolio strategy will be limited somewhat by this access issue. Wishing you all big profits. :D

texmex66

Postby texmex66 » Sun Jan 07, 2018

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Mon Jan 08, 2018

Saving a few dollars to buy a stranger's used hardware wallet makes no sense. Was there something the victim could have done, before he put in his crypto, to ensure the previous owner could not use his secret key to access it?

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Mon Jan 08, 2018

Long John wrote:Saving a few dollars to buy a stranger's used hardware wallet makes no sense. Was there something the victim could have done, before he put in his crypto, to ensure the previous owner could not use his secret key to access it?

Factory reset.

anaecoin

Postby anaecoin » Tue Jan 23, 2018

silverpv wrote:I like the jaxx wallet for digital wallets. For a hardware wallet you can put the private key on usb and/or print out paper wallet.

To send hit send, type in the address or scan the qr code. When you open up the jaxx wallet you can copy your address to clipboard or download to your computer. It's good for general purpose.

I'll go check this wallet, thanks for the info

Yellek
Turtle Supporter

Postby Yellek » Tue Jan 23, 2018

I opened a Cryptopia account and purchased some HYP. I haven't done anything else with it, should I be putting it in a wallet. I looked at the HyperStake wallet, but when I tried to install it on my computer Norton deleted the file.
m r purty. I like 'em gold 'uns.

silverpv
Gold Supporter

Postby silverpv » Tue Jan 23, 2018

anaecoin wrote:
silverpv wrote:I like the jaxx wallet for digital wallets. For a hardware wallet you can put the private key on usb and/or print out paper wallet.

I'll go check this wallet, thanks for the info

This is a casual wallet so don't put a lot on there. If you must coinbase wallet is the most secure but not always stable under heavy load but for casual use is ok

Amaths

Postby Amaths » Tue Jan 23, 2018

I assume you would like to stake more HYPs. Then you would have to transfer it from cryptopia to the HyperStake wallet. There is a glitch between the latest wallet version and anti-virus software. You should be able to install an older version of the wallet without encountering any problem.

Yellek wrote:I opened a Cryptopia account and purchased some HYP. I haven't done anything else with it, should I be putting it in a wallet. I looked at the HyperStake wallet, but when I tried to install it on my computer Norton deleted the file.
Buy/sell $100 of digital currency we both get $10 free bitcoin
https://www.coinbase.com/join/5a205948a2b49500d9cc6d4a

Image Image Image

Yellek
Turtle Supporter

Postby Yellek » Tue Jan 23, 2018

Amaths wrote:I assume you would like to stake more HYPs. Then you would have to transfer it from cryptopia to the HyperStake wallet. There is a glitch between the latest wallet version and anti-virus software. You should be able to install an older version of the wallet without encountering any problem.

Yellek wrote:I opened a Cryptopia account and purchased some HYP. I haven't done anything else with it, should I be putting it in a wallet. I looked at the HyperStake wallet, but when I tried to install it on my computer Norton deleted the file.

Thank you, I'll try that.
m r purty. I like 'em gold 'uns.

Return to “Bitcoin/Crypto/Blockchain”