Bitcoin Hacked

Discussion of all things crypto and blockchain.
xippi
Turtle Supporter

Bitcoin Hacked

Postby xippi » Wed Sep 05, 2012

from the BBC I couldn't find the story on Cnn

Bitcoin theft causes Bitfloor exchange to go offline

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19486695
ImageImageImageImageImage

bullionbull

Re: Bitcoin Hacked

Postby bullionbull » Wed Sep 05, 2012

I have been involved with Bitcoins in some fashion since the fall of 2010 and have seen the currency/commodity through lows of $1 and highs of $32. I have seen several hacks of major exchange sites such as MtGox, TradeHill, Bitfloor and outright ponzi schemes like the most recent BCST scandal. I still have not lost faith in the system, or what potential it does hold for changing the future of our money system. These failures in no way trace back to Bitcoin the protocol and are simply a failure of implementation by third party for profit websites. When dealing with Bitcoin it is always best to leave as little as possible on any third party wallet or exchange and to keep a wallet locally with your coins. There are even sites like localbitcoins where you are able to find people local to your area to trade with in person.

If anyone on this forum has any questions with Bitcoin in general, or anything specific to setting up Bitcoin locally to have your own secured wallet I would be glad to answer any questions to the best of my knowledge.

Brades
Gold Supporter

Postby Brades » Wed Sep 05, 2012

Bitcoin wasn't hacked... facepalm :roll:

xippi
Turtle Supporter

Postby xippi » Wed Sep 05, 2012

here is another story.

"Hackers stole about US$250,000 from BitFloor, a BitCoin exchange, on Monday, and it does not have the money to reimburse account holders, according to the website's founder."

:oops: :oops:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/a ... tolen.html
ImageImageImageImageImage

UVAWAHOO11
Under 18

Postby UVAWAHOO11 » Wed Sep 12, 2012

This is the down side to electronic currency :(. I like how physical precious metals are safe from being hacked.

Jenna

Postby Jenna » Thu Sep 13, 2012

I know there are a lot of newbies in this thread, myself included, but I've also been following Bitcoins closely. (My hubbie is a computer engineer so it comes with the territory.)

Right now Bitcoins is in an exciting type of Wild, Wild West territory and I will continue investing a teensy percentage on dips. Forbes Magazine has an excellent financial contributor of crypto-currencies, Jon Matis and I thoroughly enjoy reading his column, which focuses on Bitcoin:

Jon Matis, the Monetary Future

Nice to see other Bitcoin enthusiasts here. :P

BSer

Postby BSer » Fri Sep 14, 2012

Bitcoin wasn't hacked. A business used poor security and had some bitcoins stolen. They were stolen in exactly the same way that anything else could be stolen (account details, credit card numbers, etc). The security lapse has nothing to do with Bitcoin.

If your house gets burglarized and your gold stolen, does that make gold insecure?

If a bank get burglarized and dollars stolen, is it because those dollars were insecure?
ImageImageImage

CoinInferno.com <-- Compare live dealer prices for bullion coins.

bullionbull

Postby bullionbull » Sun Sep 16, 2012

BSer wrote:Bitcoin wasn't hacked. A business used poor security and had some bitcoins stolen. They were stolen in exactly the same way that anything else could be stolen (account details, credit card numbers, etc). The security lapse has nothing to do with Bitcoin.

If your house gets burglarized and your gold stolen, does that make gold insecure?

If a bank get burglarized and dollars stolen, is it because those dollars were insecure?

+1 million

Return to “Bitcoin/Crypto/Blockchain”